Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How About Another "Review My Numbers" Thread?

Old 09-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How About Another "Review My Numbers" Thread?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Amy and this is my first time posting here, so if I commit any cardinal sins, don't hesitate to rake me over the coals!

While I have experience hauling horses in other rigs, I recently purchased my first horse trailer of my own. I tried to select something that struck a balance between my needs, wants, and tow vehicle capabilities. I'm hoping I did alright, but I thought I would ask you kind folks to take a look and point out any glaring inconsistencies or red flags. I've done quite a bit of reading on these forums, and there appears to be a wealth of individuals with extensive knowledge and experience, and I am hoping to capitalize on some of that!

Truck
  • 2013 XLT 4X4 Supercab
  • 5.0L V8
  • 145" WB
  • 3.55 Axle Ratio
  • Trailer Brake Controller
  • 7350# GVWR Package
  • Trailer Tow Package (Reg., not Max)

Trailer (link to dimensions & tongue weight estimate)
  • 2017 Exiss 2-Horse Straight-Load BP
  • All-Aluminum
  • 2760# Empty
  • Estimated Tongue Weight 530# Empty (19.2%)

My first order of business is to get things weighed at a scale so I have tangible numbers to work with.

My second order of business is to get a WD hitch installed once I have those numbers, then go back with the rig loaded up and re-weigh. The folks at eTrailer recommended the Reese Steadi-Flex W/ Sway Control (12K GTW, 1.2K TW), but I was hoping to purchase one that prevented, instead of reduced, sway. I'd also like to keep it $500 and under, if at all possible. Thoughts on that?

Here is a link to all of my calculations. I have included max load, average load, single person/single horse load, and empty load. My main dilemma at the moment is that I'm not having ANY luck finding a place that could install the WDH on a Saturday, and I do not have vacation time to spend a day down there while it gets done during the week. I would be driving this from GA -> NY. Someone whose opinion I trust said I should be fine to get it home empty without a WDH, but "should be fine" wasn't exactly music to my ears. Again.. thoughts/experience/.02c?

Alright.. let me know how badly I screwed up! Thank you in advance!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How About Another "Review My Numbers" Thread?