Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which truck??
F150
23.08%
F250
76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Help ME! Need to make a decision on F150/250

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help ME! Need to make a decision on F150/250

Not sure if this should be here or the 2011+ section, so please move if need be.

I sold my 2011 F-150 CC XLT 5.0 2wd to my dad yesterday. Within the next year I hope to buy another truck. My dilemma begins with which one. I have a 97 Dodge Ram that I use to commute back and forth to work and run errands around town (only a 34 mile round trip). I am wanting to stay within the posted ratings for my payload. I am wanting to switch to an EcoBoost if I go with the 150, and of course the 6.7 with the 250.

I have a 2 year old daughter at the moment, and within 5 years another will be on the way. I am wanting a long term truck. 4wd is a must this time, which I know lowers the payload some on the 150. For an occasional camper, park it during hunting season and use it on the weekends for a camp, would you guys recommend the 150 which pretty much restricts me to a bumper pull? I attached some links to the types of campers we are interested in buying, most have tongue weights between 600-850 dry. I looked at a F150 Lariat EcoBoost today and couldn't believe the payload was only 1100+ lbs. Of course an F250 would cut into the budget for the camper some (looking used, less than 30k miles) or just prolong the purchase of the camper. F250 would also allow 5'er options. If any of you have went through the same decision please weigh in here, all comments and suggestions welcome.

Sorry for the long post, been reading this site for a long time and now I need some advice!

http://www.funtownrv.com/inventory/2...--315BHSS.aspx

http://www.funtownrv.com/inventory/2...s-292BHDS.aspx

http://www.funtownrv.com/inventory/2...S-Diamond.aspx

http://www.funtownrv.com/inventory/2...se-319QBS.aspx

Last edited by ruger3.5; 12-28-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, the weights of those are all well within a Max Tow F150 but not necessarily the base models, especially with 2 kids, stuff and Lariat package. If you are camping a lot, I'd even vote for the HD payload. Not sure how much camping you intend to do.

Also, what sort of terrain are you towing in and how far? Do you have a lot of wind and open areas? I do and hated my previous base 1/2 ton with P tires and soft suspension in cross-wind. Seems that every time we go, it's at least 15mph wind. If you are in mostly wooded areas, no problem. Freeway driving might be another factor with passing cars and semis. For me, I could not stand even the slightest movement in wind with the tt so got the 5th shortly after getting the new truck.

Any trips planned out west in mountains and wide open areas? Get the F150 with HD payload at a minimum for stability. I chose the F150HD over a SD with 6.2 because of the power characteristics of the eco, smaller truck, better ride, fuel economy and fun to drive when empty. Chose it over the 6.7 because the eco is so quiet, no stink, 7-8k less and didn't really need it for a light 5th and 20% towing miles. Both the diesel and eco seem similar in complexity and things to go wrong so it's a toss-up there.

Next question, do you ever think you will upgrade to a 5th? We can easily make a lightweight 5th work because we pack light and only have one small kid. If you ever want to go 5th, get the F250. You will struggle to make the numbers with 2 kids and more stuff.

There's more, but will wait for some answers.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM

The dealership didn't have any Max Tows on the lot, barely had any with the 3.73 rear end. I know the trailer weight will make it, I am worried about the payload. As one of the other members stated in his thread, not sure why Ford doesn't allow you to get the Max Tow and Payload together.

As far as driving, I live "down the bayou" in Louisiana so 2 lane highways and interstates pretty much anywhere I want to go. I am currently hunting in Mississippi, so some hills to deal with. Not too many. Test drove a Super Duty today just to waste some time while waiting to pick up my daughter, and man that thing was incredibly quiet! Once the camper is parked in Mississippi or wherever I am hunting that will be a trip a couple times a week of 100-200 miles round trip.

I also plan to pack light for camping, but for hunting you never know. Hunting clothes, gear, and ice chests probably every time. I'm sure the F150 could handle it, but I don't want to affect the longevity as I plan on this being a 10+ year truck.

What are your payload ratings Buck50HD? Curious as your truck sounds about what I would be interested in if I did go with the 150. Don't need the sunroof and all of that, would just like the rear view camera.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Yeah, that was the main weight I was referring to, payload. That's always the killer. Also, with the eco, they do combine the Max Tow and HD payload automatically. The only problem so far for 2013 they don't have the rear cam option for an HD payload/max tow. Not sure why because they did in 2012.

The XLT screw HD 4x4 base rating is 2310 lb payload. I have the side steps, tailgate step, power seat, backup cam and few other things so the door sticker says 2171. The Lariat will be slightly lower yet.

Sounds like a decision between the F150HD and 6.7. Been there, wasn't easy. You could make the 150 work. I guess you have to decide what features or characteristics are most valuable.

Just thought of this, have you ever towed a tt with your previous 150?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 PM

I did tow the in- laws 25-26 ft TT. I didn't have the proper WD setup though. I have Don plenty of research since then and realize what I need and plan on getting it. The truck did fine but that camper was very small.

I will have to try an locate a truck like yours with that payload and give it a try. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a 6.5' box option only? That may change my mind, just the smooth ride an the stance and room of a SD I hard to walk away from. But the price tag will make you run.

What did you give for yours? If you don't mind. I can't see spending $40k+ on a half ton when with rebates you can get a SD.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM

That's the problem with buying an F150HD... no test drive. You will have to order. I'm probably one of the 5% that didn't order because the dealer happened to find one within 500 miles that was really close to what I wanted. Won't say exactly but less than 38k and more than 34k With a sticker of around 45. An equiv SD 6.2 is actually about $800 less right now (sticker). So there's always that option.

Also, the SD crew short box(6.5') and F150 crew with 6.5 box are almost the same wheelbase. Actually, all outside dimensions are nearly the same except height, IIRC. Cab interior space is also very close between the 150 and SD crews.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

The diesel will last longer...

Well it should
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 PM

The 34-38 k range seems a lot more reasonable. You see lucked out, another problem with ordering is you be be know what rebate Will be available once it come in from what the dealer tells me.

Thanks Huntman, that is what I was thinking too for towing purposes and resale.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You're going to be hard pressed to get the 6.7l F-250 for around $36-$38,000. I have the 2wd S/C long bed it listed for $39,000 for the XLT after the rebates. Mine is an 2011. You might be able to get the 6.2l gasser for that. I live in Louisiana too. Just south of Shreveport. I don't know what kind of deals they give down there, but you won't get it for that up this way. And another thing to consider, the F-250 is really a heavy truck for 4wd. Mine weighs 7620# for just 2wd. You're not going to want to do a lot of 4 wheeling in it unless you get a good winch. Sorry, just re-read your post and saw that you were looking for a used F-250 which would be doable for that price but I doubt you find one with that low mileage. I have almost 40,000 on mine now and I bought it new Sept.'10.

Last edited by atvtinker; 12-30-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: re-write
Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Do what you need to so you don't regret it later. Another factor for me was to fit in a garage with standard height doors. SD would not have made it. The F150HD was close. Also, I was not sure how it would have been warming up a diesel in the garage. Seems to me it would smoke up the whole inside but could be wrong with the new 6.7.

Quick Reply: Help ME! Need to make a decision on F150/250