Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Drifting when passed by larger vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Help with Drifting when passed by larger vehicle

Have 2017 XLT, SCREW, 3.5 EB, short WB, max tow pkg, 18" LT tires, stock suspension (not FX4), running 45 psi tire pressure. Tow 23' total length TT, gross wt 5600 lbs, using EZ lift 800lb rd bar hitch, 800 lb tongue wt.

First tow with this truck found on interstate get lot of drifting when running 60 to 65mph. No sway issues but when MH or larger truck passed wants to move whole setup over. Seems ok on 2 lane road but can still feel drift when LARGE vehicle passes on opposite directon.
Have readjusting WDH per dealer and manufacture specs as he felt maybe to high ball height, weighted setup at scale, trailer and truck all level and front end weights and height all seem good.
Have towed same trailer and hitch setup with a 2008 f150 and then 2011 ram 1500 for last 7 years and no issues - other than payload problem with Ram found was running 300-400 over Ram's 6800lb gvw. So I traded for the 2017 F150.

Looked at getting better wdh hitch but some vendors feel not going to help my problem.

Suggestions?? Better WDH? Shocks? Or just the nature of the lighter truck?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

It’s obviously the truck but most here will probably tell you it’s the “cheap” hitch you’re using. Suggestions, have you tried turning off TSC while towing? Have you tried towing with minimal or no WD at all? Are you running front tire pressure at least 5 psi lower than the rear?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

That's called aerodynamics. It sounds like your setup is right...this is just the nature of the beast. You get blasted with a big mass of air from the passing vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 8100hd
It’s obviously the truck but most here will probably tell you it’s the “cheap” hitch you’re using. Suggestions, have you tried turning off TSC while towing? Have you tried towing with minimal or no WD at all? Are you running front tire pressure at least 5 psi lower than the rear?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Air pressure: Running same front and rear - 45PSI; will try by increasing rears to 50PSI.
TSC: Have not tried turning of TSC - did not know I could do that - guess need to review the manual!!
WDH: Have lowered hitch ball 1" (original WDH installers suggestion) and reduced angle of WDB ( changed last year from 600# to 800# bars - new bars were still tilted down when loaded - now running parallel with hitch), also tired reducing WD by one link and seems to be better in regards to constant truck drift on interstate (I-5 which in PNW is grooved due to all the studded tires). With my initial setup and WD set to get same loaded/unloaded weight to front tires, truck was drifting all over when running on the interstate - had to constantly be adjusting the steering wheel. This was also before I increased tire pressure to 45 - was running 40 PSI.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Ever notice how the newer style semi's (aerodynamically designed front ends) push you less when they come at you the opposite way than an older truck? Take the difference between a Freightliner Columbia Cab and an older cab over style. Two extreme examples....I know...but will serve the purpose. The older truck will push you to the right like a fist hitting you. The newer aerodynamic designed truck will blow you a kiss. LOL. This helps you "get ready" for that truck in your driving. We don't have that kind of issue with our setup ....but if you do, something to look out for.

Question....does your truck move as a unit when hit by this air or does it wiggle like a snake. If it moves as a unit ....it is what it is as chimmike said. If you become a snake...time to look at the setup.
chimmike (05-29-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Sounds like you have the setup done correctly. The unit should move as a whole when the bow wave hits the trailer. Reason you feel it so much is the light truck and trailer. Huge sail, little mass, easily pushed around. If you were pulling with a F250/350, then you would barely feel it. If you had a much heavier trailer, same thing, but you are barely touching 11K combined with that setup.

If it wasn't setup correctly, then every time a truck passed you, the trailer would go one way, the truck the other, and you would for sure be white knuckling it.
The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
BernieT (05-30-2018), Simnut (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the input!!! Understand the overall weight issue. Debated getting a Ram 2500 or F250 but for daily driver did not want and did not feel needed 3/4 ton - maybe made a mistake!!!.

Will try less tension WDH on next test run - Note that with my truck trailer setup I am getting very little rise in front of truck (3/4") and not much sag in rear (7/8') with trailer and without bars hooked up so seems that WDH does not need to do much in regards to WD. Also on next test will increase load some in my truck bed to see if that will help.

Also, searching in the forum seems a number of issue with the new F150 with the EPAS sensitivity - IE flighty steering. Heading down to my local Ford dealer to discuss with them and see if anything they can do to will help.

Again talked today with number of RV/hitch dealers and couple hitch vendors; they all feel that WDH like Equalizer would help stabilize the truck trailer combo - much better than my EZ lift with the round bars and chains. Also talked to another 2017 F150 with same truck and Lance trailer as mine and is experiencing none of my issues - he is running with a 6K 600lb bar equalizer hitch.

Hate to spent my money on new hitch but if helps overall stability and handled in long term worth it. Would like to take my trailer on long trip this summer with my setup and wife says no way with how my truck handles - and no way she going to let me get another new truck - only have 5k miles on this one!!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

If you do get an Equalizer hitch get the 1000/10000 hitch or it will be undersized. With a 5600 lb trailer your tongue weight including hitch will be well over 600lbs. I switched from the eazlift hitch to the Equalizer E4 and my sway appears to be gone, I need more driving though.
BernieT (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Siskiyou
If you do get an Equalizer hitch get the 1000/10000 hitch or it will be undersized. With a 5600 lb trailer your tongue weight including hitch will be well over 600lbs. I switched from the eazlift hitch to the Equalizer E4 and my sway appears to be gone, I need more driving though.
Thanks for the input; my tongue weight is 750-780 LB; I questioned the Lance owner on how he selected the 600LB unit as he has same trailer as mine - he had on his old trailer and just reused the hitch. As appears that I need limited WD but more sway/stability control, likely 600# would work for my setup. If can find used one at good price will try it. If go new will go with 1K setup

Read your post on changing over to Equalizer - interesting comments. Seems your issues were same as mine.

Will follow that post to see how you feel after a couple of trips.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I used to get blown all over. 145" 2016, tuned 5.0, timbrens, tires fully inflated. Installed a Hellwig Sway bar in the rear and tried turning off the sway control in the trailer settings. Completely different truck. Semi's are a one hand drive around now. Previously it was a white knuckle experience.
BernieT (05-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Help with Drifting when passed by larger vehicle