Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help calculating my max tow #

Old 09-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Help calculating my max tow #

Just bought a new truck and trying to figure my max tow rating prior to purchasing a trailer.

Truck is a 14 FX4 CC EB 145"

GVWR is 7,200
Combined truck/gear is 1207 lbs
3.55 Electronic lock rr axle
Tow package ( not max )
Trailer sway control

Looking at the Ford tow info I think it's 9,400 lbs. The trailers we are considering are 6,330 , 6,930, and possibly a 7,020. These are toy haulers and we will add a 900lb motorcycle plus gear. With these numbers we're looking at being close or just over 8K lbs. Is this too much ?
Passengers will be just me and the wife at a little over 300 lbs.

Thanks for any and all help. Especially if you've towed a similar weight and truck combo.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nautique
Just bought a new truck and trying to figure my max tow rating prior to purchasing a trailer.

Truck is a 14 FX4 CC EB 145"

GVWR is 7,200
3.55 Electronic lock rr axle
Tow package ( not max )
Trailer sway control

Looking at the Ford tow info I think it's 9,400 lbs. The trailers we are considering are 6,330 , 6,930, and possibly a 7,020. These are toy haulers and we will add a 900lb motorcycle plus gear. With these numbers we're looking at being close or just over 8K lbs. Is this too much ?
Passengers will be just me and the wife at a little over 300 lbs.

Assuming it is a SuperCrew and looking at the two links below, I'm thinking Ford has rated this thing at 1,520 lbs for payload, and 9600 for total gross trailer weight.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...F150_Sep11.pdf

http://www.fordf150.net/2014/2014-f150-tech-specs.pdf

It looks like you are ok on the total trailer weight. However, only 1520 for payload looks like it could be a problem. The other thing you need to consider is whether or not you will tow the toy hauler style trailer without your bike in the back. That will likely cause a significant increase in the tongue weight, which is a payload issue.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I asked my dealer exactly the same question about toy haulers. He told me to definitely avoid any trailer approaching the 7000# mark, as that would be an 'uncomfortable' tow. He's been selling the trucks for 30 years and i've known him for 20 so i respect his opinion.
I've since revised my search to trailers around 5000. My bike is only about 375 lbs though, and probably throw that in the box of the truck instead. I have 373's though, not 355's.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
Assuming it is a SuperCrew and looking at the two links below, I'm thinking Ford has rated this thing at 1,520 lbs for payload, and 9600 for total gross trailer weight.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...F150_Sep11.pdf

http://www.fordf150.net/2014/2014-f150-tech-specs.pdf

It looks like you are ok on the total trailer weight. However, only 1520 for payload looks like it could be a problem. The other thing you need to consider is whether or not you will tow the toy hauler style trailer without your bike in the back. That will likely cause a significant increase in the tongue weight, which is a payload issue.
Hadn't thought abut that aspect, but it would not be towed much at all without the bike.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

GVWR is 7,200
Is that 1207lbs from the yellow sticker on your door jamb? If so, that's what Ford is telling you is the max payload for your truck as it came from the factory.

So you and passengers and gear and bikes in the truck + the trailer's tongue weight should all be less than 1207#, according to Ford.

(I think the 1520# that RonAKA found is Ford's MAX possible payload for your configuration and ignores any options added at the factory. The # on the yellow door jamb sticker is the real payload for your truck)

With half-ton trucks and travel trailers with 13-15% tongue weights, it's usually payload, not tow capacity that counts.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz
Is that 1207lbs from the yellow sticker on your door jamb? If so, that's what Ford is telling you is the max payload for your truck as it came from the factory.

So you and passengers and gear and bikes in the truck + the trailer's tongue weight should all be less than 1207#, according to Ford.

(I think the 1520# that RonAKA found is Ford's MAX possible payload for your configuration and ignores any options added at the factory. The # on the yellow door jamb sticker is the real payload for your truck)

With half-ton trucks and travel trailers with 13-15% tongue weights, it's usually payload, not tow capacity that counts.
The 1207 # is from the door sticker. The bike will be in the trailer. I just need to do some calculations once we get closer to picking a trailer. We looked at a bunch, and the one we liked the most was a dry weight of 6,350 lbs.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz

313 lbs of accessories seems like a lot?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The 1207 # is from the door sticker. The bike will be in the trailer. I just need to do some calculations once we get closer to picking a trailer. We looked at a bunch, and the one we liked the most was a dry weight of 6,350 lbs.

Would that be MXT303 at 6,350lbs? We just purchased one a few weeks ago. We have only been able to go camping once. Pulled great but all flatland, the biggest hill was going over the interstate. Have not pulled yet with my Goldwing on board. Wife and I are heading for Idaho on Saturday. That should give me an idea if my XLT is up to the task. I think it is.

I have the Maxtow and EB. I have added Bilstien 4600 shocks at all 4 corners, Firestone air bags, a tail camera, and a ProPride 3P hitch for maximum control. The one big difference in our trucks is mine has a payload of 1,976lbs and GVWR at 7,500.

Hope you can find a toy hauler that fits your 150.
Attached Thumbnails Help calculating my max tow #-img_20140831_210930_569-1-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

I think you need to be looking at a trailer with a max wet and loaded weight of 6350 lbs instead of a dry weight of that!!!!

If you have a payload capacity of 1207 lbs, like brulaz says, that's the max weight of people, gear, and any other weight (WDH and tongue weight) that you can load into the cab and bed of the truck.

The payload capacity published is for the empty truck as it came off the production line except it has a full tank of gas. If you have added anything such as a bed liner, tonneau, tool box, light bars, etc., etc., subtract from that 1207 to find out what your actual payload is.

For example, lets say you haven't added anything and have 1207 lbs available. Lets say you'll have 2 people when towing and absolutely nothing else in the cab or bed. For ease of calculating, lets say the 2 people weigh 347 lbs.

1207-347=860 That means you have 860 lbs remaining for your WDH and tongue weight.

Let's say your WDH weighs 90 lbs. Subtract that from 860 and you've got 770 lbs left for the tongue weight of your trailer.

Toy haulers have very heavy tongue weights when empty because when you load your ATV/motorcycle/etc. in the rear the tongue weight will be more reasonable - but you may find that you still have a quite heavy tongue weight.

Tongue weight of a trailer should commonly be 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight.

The example above leaves you 760 lbs for tongue weight before youre overloaded, and let's say your loaded trailer weighs 6400 lbs.

If you can load up to get a 12% tongue weight, 12% of a loaded trailer weight of 6400 lbs is 768 lbs.

There you are - max loaded trailer weight of 6400 lbs pretty much maxes you out, depending on how you can load it to maybe get a little lighter tongue weight down toward 11% or not less than 10%.

Actually, your WDH when properly dialed in should transfer around 15% to 20% of that tongue weight back to the trailer's axles. In the example above that might be around 150 lbs. So, you might actually be able to go to a max loaded trailer of 6500 lbs if you can load for a 12% tongue weight - which might be hard to do with a toy hauler.

And, if you'll have more people and gear in the truck, your allowable tongue weight will have to go down - which will mean a lighter max trailer weight.

Good luck finding a nice trailer. Do your math based on what you'll be carrying in the truck when you tow, and figure out the remaining weight you have for WDH and tongue weight - that will determine how much of a trailer you can tow.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ccc150
Would that be MXT303 at 6,350lbs? We just purchased one a few weeks ago. We have only been able to go camping once. Pulled great but all flatland, the biggest hill was going over the interstate. Have not pulled yet with my Goldwing on board. Wife and I are heading for Idaho on Saturday. That should give me an idea if my XLT is up to the task. I think it is.

I have the Maxtow and EB. I have added Bilstien 4600 shocks at all 4 corners, Firestone air bags, a tail camera, and a ProPride 3P hitch for maximum control. The one big difference in our trucks is mine has a payload of 1,976lbs and GVWR at 7,500.

Hope you can find a toy hauler that fits your 150.
Yes, that's the trailer we both liked the most. Love the queen bed or the option of the murphy. Our second choice is the Hyper lite 27HFS. It's listed around 5700, so it's lighter for sure.
Please let me know how you like the MXT. It took us a while looking at brochures to figure out the difference between the 303 and the 309 since they're the same length, floor plan, etc. Then we noticed the interior height. Good luck this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help calculating my max tow #