Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get me started on 5th wheel towing

Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Get me started on 5th wheel towing

Hi guys,

My wife and I are selling our house and transitioning to full-time trailer living in a 5th wheel. I'll be selling or trading my 2015 F150 to pick up a 250 or bigger. I don't need a super fancy truck - I'm thinking an XLT model - but what are some considerations I need to make when ordering or looking for a Super Duty?
  1. 8 foot box, right?
  2. Is the 5th Wheel Prep Package a factory or dealer installed option?
  3. Can any Super Duty be adapted to pull a camper (5th wheel hitch installed, etc), or are their factory installed options that I need to look for?

Thanks, guys! This is a new world for me, so I appreciate any and all tips.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

The truck you select should be determined by the size of the fifth wheel trailer you'll be hauling. I used GMC 2500 with a 6 1/2 foot bed to haul a 36 foot fifth wheel some years ago. I had to get a hitch that was designed for that size bed so the front of the trailer wouldn't break my rear window on turns. The truck was powerful enough to haul it but in hindsight, I should have acquired a dually for additional stability. I would get the 8 foot bed for certain to keep it simple on the hitch. Not sure sure what factory options can be had for fifth wheeling. Certainly can be adapted.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Just bought my 2016 PSD yesterday. 8' box is not required especially with the newer style fifth wheels. That said adding a slider in a 6.5' box is cheap insurance. The fifth wheel prep kit has to be ordered as an option. Although if not; adding a standard hitch is not a problem.

As for options the world is your oyster. My truck has the camper package, snow plow prep etc.

Are you looking to buy new or used? If new you can order the new 2017 and get everything you want. If you are going with a lot truck you will have to pick and choose.

Enjoy the process!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ecobeest
Are you looking to buy new or used?
Probably used. Seems like 2016 models are super cheap right now. But man, those new 2017's sure are pretty...
Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 PM

What can you guys tell me about the 5th wheel hitches that go in the back of the 6 3/4' beds? They have to slide or something, right? How does that work?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Don't bother with a 250, their legal payload is "only" about 2000 lb. I know that sounds like a lot, but most any 5th wheel suitable for full timing will have a pin weight of that much or more. Add people, fuel, maybe some firewood and a modest toolbox and you're going to be significantly over weight on the gross and the rear axle. A 350 is less than $1000 over the price of an identically equipped 250 ($5-600 I think ) and has 1400-1500 lb. greater gvwr and 1000 lb. higher rear axle rating. Do yourself a huge favor and don't even look at 250's. Get a 350 and hit the road properly equipped. Bed length is a matter of preference. If you get a shortbed you may need to get a slider depending on the length of the pinbox and the radius of the trailer nose. I pulled my current trailer to Alaska and back with a 6.5' bed and never once had to slide the hitch. That being said, I now have an 8 foot bed and love it. Much more room for an ice chest, toolbox etc. and much easier to climb in and out due to extra distance between the trailer and cab. Regardless of bed length, a factory 5th wheel prep. package (puck mount) is very desireable but certainly not a deal breaker. There are many good aftermarket hitches out there, and the truck is pre-wired either way.
If you're full-timing you want a nice truck. I would consider XLT to be the minimum trim level. Lariats are nice, and the Lariat Ultimate is even nicer. King Ranch is top of the line, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money to put someone else's name on the side of my truck.

Last edited by PerryB; 09-04-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by shoebox303
Hi guys,

My wife and I are selling our house and transitioning to full-time trailer living in a 5th wheel. I'll be selling or trading my 2015 F150 to pick up a 250 or bigger. I don't need a super fancy truck - I'm thinking an XLT model - but what are some considerations I need to make when ordering or looking for a Super Duty?
  1. 8 foot box, right?
  2. Is the 5th Wheel Prep Package a factory or dealer installed option?
  3. Can any Super Duty be adapted to pull a camper (5th wheel hitch installed, etc), or are their factory installed options that I need to look for?

Thanks, guys! This is a new world for me, so I appreciate any and all tips.
We have a 39' Fuzion toy hauler that's over what my son in laws F-250 can pull. Over 13K empty and has a close to 17K gross weight. Hitch weight is over 3K pounds so the ideal tow vehicle in my opinion would be an F-350 dually that comes with the 8' bed. 3.73 or 4.30 LS rear end are both good choices. Ford offers the 5th wheel prep package for Reese 5th wheel plates.
Ask around and do your homework before buying and don't listen to the salesmen at the camper dealerships. All they want you to do is buy and get you out on the road. You'll be surprised at the small price difference in a F-250 and a F-350 dually. Then ask an experienced camper what he'd rather tow a large 5th wheel with. A little overkill is safer then overloading your tow vehicle. 13K pounds and above I would go with a dually...just my 2 cents.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:20 PM

This is great info, guys. I really appreciate it. All the towing numbers are pretty confusing to me - it's the area I'm doing most of my research right now so I'm sure I understand it all. Here's what I DO know:

1. I'm considering a 2016 or 2017 F-250 SCREW 4x4 SRW with the gas engine. It looks like this setup will tow 12,100lbs or 15,100lbs depending on gearing. But the F350 version actually drops to 12,000/15,000lbs. Am I reading this right (chart below)? No idea how much weight I can put on the 5th wheel (payload?).
2. The trailer we're looking at has the following numbers:
  • Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 11,185lbs
  • Dry Hitch Weight: 2,235lbs
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 13,750lbs
  • Cargo Carrying Capacit: 2,565lbs

As you can tell, I'm totally new to this. I appreciate you guys sharing your expertise with me!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Your missing two items that I attempted to point out already.
1) You are going to exceed the truck's GVWR
2) You are going to exceed the truck's GAWR - rear axle.

The 250 has a GVWR of 10,000 lb and a GAWR (rear) of 6000 lb.
The 350 has a GVWR of 11,400 lb and a GAWR (rear) of 7000 lb.

-- The truck can PULL the weight of the trailer, but it can't CARRY it. By the time you get packed up and ready to travel, you will be over both the aforementioned weights by about 1000 lbs. each. That trailer, with a typical travelling load, will be near the limit of what a 350 SRW can legally carry. GET A 350!!

Last edited by PerryB; 09-04-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
That trailer, with a typical traveling load, will be near the limit of what a 350 SRW can legally carry. GET A 350!!
Haha, sounds like I'm going shopping for a 350!! I just wish I knew more about what those numbers all mean and how to apply them so I can make a smart decision. More quality time with Google in my future!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Get me started on 5th wheel towing