Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Spec Brochure lists driver INCLUDED in PL rating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Ford Spec Brochure lists driver INCLUDED in PL rating

Have any of y'all seen this?
I thought it was generally accepted that the driver was NOT included.

Maybe it's just for this 1 particular chart?

Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have one further question, why does every Ford Tow Guide (at least going back to 2009 that I have seen) contain the following statement or similar wording ?

Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable,
assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option
content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position

I could understand there being a typo one year in the Tow Guide but an error repeated every year since at least 2009 on something as fundamental as the payload in F150's ? Cargo calculation for the purposes of a slide in camper shouldn't be any different than for other cargo in the truck. A thousand pounds of camper is not any heavier than 1000 lbs of passengers and if anything a thousand pounds of camper with a much higher center of gravity would create more stress on the truck.

Perhaps one of the Moderators could forward this on to the Ford Reps for a definitive answer as I certainly have not been able to get a clear answer from contacting my dealer !
Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Barristersteve
I have one further question, why does every Ford Tow Guide (at least going back to 2009 that I have seen) contain the following statement or similar wording ?

Apples and oranges. That "cargo weight rating" applies only to the weight of a truck camper, and has nothing to do with hitch weight or other cargo weight. It's been that way in the RV and Trailer Towing Guide for at least 20 years when matching a truck camper to a pickup.

Way back when, there was a real problem with ignorant (or hard-headed) owners severely overloading their pickup when trying to haul a truck camper. My Dad was one of those hard-headed owners that tried to haul a heavy truck camper as well as tow a 2-horse trailer full of mules and feed and tack with his F-250 farm pickup. He lived to tell the story, but he was often stuck on a mountainside until a fellow trail rider came along to tie onto his rig and help pull him over the crest.

Dad solved part of his overloading problem by building one of the first LQ horse trailers. He put the truck camper in the front of a long flat-bed trailer, then built a 2-stall horse compartment with a small tack room on the back of the trailer. That got some of the weight off the pickup, but he still had to have a tow from another trail rider to get over the crest to his favorite trail-riding location.

Perhaps one of the Moderators could forward this on to the Ford Reps for a definitive answer as I certainly have not been able to get a clear answer from contacting my dealer !

I have years of experience as a moderator on another Ford website, and I wouldn't waste time with that question. The answer from Ford would probably be "learn to read!" Payload capacity for hitch weight and cargo weight capacity for a truck camper are not the same thing. They have their own charts and rules. Yeah, they could be changed to both use payload capacity, but that might confuse some old-timers.

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-16-2016 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (09-18-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

It's a misprint as the "Actual" payload door jam sticker clearly states that passengers are not included in the payload rating. My models max payload is 2100 and my truck is 1890 lbs which makes sense seeing I have a XLT with many options that a base XL w/o power does not. Those options have weight.

210 lbs of loss payload is actually real good considering the options I have as window and seat actuators/motors weigh a lot, as do the upgraded hitch/bumper, side steps, larger wheel and tires, the 36 gallon gas tank, larger 9.75" 3.73:1 Electronic locking differential, and many other XLT additional features.

If the passenger 150 lbs weight was added into the unofficial brochure weight, the starting payload w/o passenger would be 2250 lbs and my options then would be extremely heavy.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Barristersteve

I could understand there being a typo one year in the Tow Guide but an error repeated every year since at least 2009 on something as fundamental as the payload in F150's ? Cargo calculation for the purposes of a slide in camper shouldn't be any different than for other cargo in the truck. A thousand pounds of camper is not any heavier than 1000 lbs of passengers and if anything a thousand pounds of camper with a much higher center of gravity would create more stress on the truck.

Cargo weight is the weight for an in bed camper only. It all adds up to the payload weight. For my truck, I have six seating positions, 6 * 150 = 900 lbs. I'd have 990 lbs for a camper BUT ford only recommends putting a camper in the truck when you have the Heavy Duty payload options so my truck is only an example if it could have a camper.

BTW, you'd be hard pressed to find a solid wall truck camper at only 990 lbs with it "FULLY LOADED". Therefore the HD Payload package is really a requirement.

Quick Reply: Ford Spec Brochure lists driver INCLUDED in PL rating