Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Towing one F150 with another.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Flat Towing one F150 with another.

So My buddy is looking at getting a 93 F150 and asked if I could help him pick it up. The truck he's looking at is a manual 2wd, mine is a 99 with the 4.6L and 5 speed.

I was wondering, is it possible/safe to flat tow his new truck? Its only about 20 miles away and the highest speed limit between here and there is 45.

If not, is it even safe to tow his truck (on a dolly or trailer) with mine, or would it exceed the towing capacity? I know my truck is only officially rated to 3,000lbs, but I've heard time and again how ford underrates their manuals.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your planning on towin it with a tow strap is what i'm guessing? You might be okay just be careful and make sure he is beig cautious on the brakes. Definitely is gonna work your truck pretty hard but it's worth a shot.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

You'll be fine towing flat as long as you have a solid tow bar like the RV guys use. I would'nt want to do it with a strap.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I towed my dads 02 gmc sierra extended cab 4x4 cause he blew the oil filter off it about 10 miles with my 99 extended cab short box 4.6l auto
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

A strap or chain may be OK for a mile or two, but as mentioned, you want a solid bar for anything longer.

A better option may be to just rent a vehicle trailer from U-Haul.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by byoungblood
A strap or chain may be OK for a mile or two, but as mentioned, you want a solid bar for anything longer.

A better option may be to just rent a vehicle trailer from U-Haul.
Even if an F150 would fit, which Im 99% sure it wouldnt, they wouldnt let you put one on it. I used to tow my ranger on a uhaul car hauler and it BARELY fit, and I had to tell them I was towing a vw bug because the ranger was too much for the trailer according to them. (this is from 3 diff uhaul locations,, its all in their computer.) Just fyi. Plus they arent flatbeds it would be really tough to get a non running truck on one.

I would get a real flatbed and then you have nothing to worry about. It will be heavy but if theres no steep grades you should be fine for that short distance/low speed, just watch slipping your clutch in 1st.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Or use the U haul 2 wheel dolly. Push the F150 on it, strap the front wheels to the dolly and disconnect the driveshaft from the rearend useing a wire/strap to secure the driveshaft to the frame. Leave the driveshaft sticking in the tailshaft of the tranny so the fluid does not run out.

PS. I rented a U Haul trailer 2 months ago to haul a car and I am pretty sure an F150 would fit easy...we (2 of us) pushed the car on the trailer too with another one inside ready to apply the brakes.

Last edited by RedOne; 02-07-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Alright, thanks. I have a rigid tow bar that I was planning on using, so no concerns there. I towed a friends toyota once with straps, and I would never do it again, I made the $70 investment in a 5,000lbs tow bar and its been fine ever since. I've just never tried towing anything that large with this truck.

What is a safe towing capacity for this truck? I know they say in the manual it can only do 3,000, but that seems very low, and I assume its because they don't think people can tow on a clutch.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ranger wheelbase is almost too much.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Flat Towing one F150 with another.