Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First truck with a GN & had to share

Old 12-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default First truck with a GN & had to share

My last F150 was a 2.7 so no need to even try a gooseenck there but this 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, 18400 lb GCWR, you bet there's a reason now. I actually feel like I have a truck now.

The B&W turnover is a dream. Fits perfect even upside down when you need the bed. PLUS they sell a fifth wheel atatchment that basically seats right in the gooseneck.

Surely I wasn't the only one who got stoked when they got their first GN. STOKED

Old 12-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

How did you isolate the steel from the aluminum so dissimilar metal corrosion doesn't happen? Looks like a teflon bushing.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
How did you isolate the steel from the aluminum so dissimilar metal corrosion doesn't happen? Looks like a teflon bushing.

if its like my GN, there is a small gap between the collar of the hitch for the ball and the bed. I had my linex done after hitch install so they got all the edges of the the hole coated. I would think the linex would prevent contact pretty well. Although it doesnt appear on mine that the bed ever makes contact with hitch components.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Do people call it a GN?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
Do people call it a GN?
..... goose neck
Old 12-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
Do people call it a GN?

Lots of younger folks do a lot of "typing" using only their thumbs. So they tend to abbreviate to the max extent. So GN is short for gooseneck. But old codgers like me call it a gooseneck, or maybe a goose for short.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

How much will you actually be pulling? I thought you could pull more off the drop hitch because of payload tongue weight of the GN?

Anyway, the turnover ball is great! One man operation too, I use it all the time on my work truck.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Tom
How much will you actually be pulling? I thought you could pull more off the drop hitch because of payload tongue weight of the GN?

Anyway, the turnover ball is great! One man operation too, I use it all the time on my work truck.
You definitely can tow more off the hitch BUT the ride wont be as smooth as it will be with a .... wait for it ... GN. Yes, you can't haul as much BUT I'll still be under payload with it. I'll just put it out there what Im doing just for *****s & giggles. Im building a house on wheels and the main reason for the GN was for 1) better driveability & 2) more floor space (with the GN deck)

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Lots of younger folks do a lot of "typing" using only their thumbs. So they tend to abbreviate to the max extent. So GN is short for gooseneck. But old codgers like me call it a gooseneck, or maybe a goose for short.
I called it "GN" sin an attempt to get to the point quicker by saving time. Right or wrong,I have seen "GN" many times on CL (craigslist) & elsewhere (though I cannot recall exactly where). & there is a vast difference between me & the "younger generation" - those who cant make a phone call, meet you face to face, and dang near walk in to traffic because they're too busy texting on their cell phones they're glued to 18 hours a day.

That probably sounded all "mean" but I had to make it clear.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by friesbruh
You definitely can tow more off the hitch BUT the ride wont be as smooth as it will be with a .... wait for it ... GN. Yes, you can't haul as much BUT I'll still be under payload with it. I'll just put it out there what Im doing just for *****s & giggles. Im building a house on wheels and the main reason for the GN was for 1) better driveability & 2) more floor space (with the GN deck)

I called it "GN" sin an attempt to get to the point quicker by saving time. Right or wrong,I have seen "GN" many times on CL (craigslist) & elsewhere (though I cannot recall exactly where). & there is a vast difference between me & the "younger generation" - those who cant make a phone call, meet you face to face, and dang near walk in to traffic because they're too busy texting on their cell phones they're glued to 18 hours a day.

That probably sounded all "mean" but I had to make it clear.
I read the title and knew what you were talking about. Because of where I'm from I guess, I was wondering what the big deal was. As a kid growing up in east Texas, a "GN" was pretty common. It definitely has its advantages.

Waiting for pics (pictures ) of your house on wheels.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The 11/350 in my sig. is my first GN and is also a B&W. Quality of construction and fitment are both excellent. I use it in conjunction with the Companion for my 5th wheel. We're starting to look for our next trailer (RV) and I wish I could find one designed for a GN. I'd love to lose the hitch completely.

P.S. Yes I'm familiar with the Goose Box, but trying to avoid a Lepper chassis to begin with and not interested in Anderson. Yes they're light, but still a large artifact in the back of the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First truck with a GN & had to share