Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Ride Rite

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Ride Rite

Hi All,
I just installed some Firestone Ride Rite air bags on my 2013 F-150. I have had them on for a couple days now and I keep hearing a clunk noise when I hit bumps and sometimes turning. Any clue what it might be? Am I not tightening the bolts enough? How tight should they be? My right side bolts had come loose for some reason on the lower bracket so I tightened them even more last night. I went around and tightened them all again last night more and I still hear the clunk. Mainly on the left side. Thought about using some thread locker on them. Is the noise normal when hitting bumps and corners? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 05-25-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The inboard rear bolts are hitting the upper brackets when the suspension compresses. Been there done that on my '13. Those bolts are way long and you need to trim them down with a grinder or cut-off wheel.

Last edited by PerryB; 05-28-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:52 AM
2014 FX4 EcoScrew

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad I found this - just installed mine on my 2014. I haven't noticed any noises though, but the frame tab arms were hitting my exhaust causing an annoying squeak at first.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured out what it was. On the drivers side the 2 plates that you insert into the frame to secure the top bracket to broke for some reason. The top bracket was loose and making the sound. Had to bolt the top bracket on. Not sure if I over tightened the bolts and that caused the plates to break or what. Watching the other side to see if that happens on that side. If so I will be bolting it on. Read another post that another guy had the same issue.