Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Trailer Brake Question

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F150 Trailer Brake Question

It's a slow day at work and I don't have my F150 manual with me so here is my question. I have never towed a trailer. I expect to order a travel trailer in January. It will be in the 3000-4000 pound range with an electric brake, and will be pulled with my 2013 XLT - EcoBoost 4X4.

What am I suppose to do with the Trailer Brake device on the dash? There is a "+" and a "-" button and a lever that moves to the left.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hook up a trailer and the truck will automatically know it is there. The words 'trailer connected' will appear on your dash. With the electric brakes, you will need to adjust the OEM brake controller. Choose a level surface and keep adjusting the brake number up by pressing the positive button. You want the brake gain adjusted to the point before lock up on the trailer brakes.

If I missed anything I am sure others will chime in.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by daveak
Hook up a trailer and the truck will automatically know it is there. The words 'trailer connected' will appear on your dash. With the electric brakes, you will need to adjust the OEM brake controller. Choose a level surface and keep adjusting the brake number up by pressing the positive button. You want the brake gain adjusted to the point before lock up on the trailer brakes.

If I missed anything I am sure others will chime in.
How will I know "the point just before the lock up" of the trailer brake? Does the trailer come to a stop then and I feel it in the truck? I assume I do this while I move forward with the trailer hooked up? Is the OEM brake controller the devise on the dash with the (+)?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You will press the + up several numbers and then move the truck slowly forward. While moving push together the two levers on the controller. The left side is stationary and you will squeeze the right side all the way to the left stationary one. The brakes on the trailer should lock up tight (skid). Do not use the trucks brakes while adjusting the trailer brakes. If trailer brakes do not lock up, move the + up several more numbers and repeat the process outlined. Once you have found the combination that will lock up the brakes solid, back off one/two numbers and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Cover Dog; 07-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nvr*lost (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM

That was very helpful and descriptive.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by daveak
.... Choose a level surface ...
I would also try to choose a gravel surface and drive not much more than 25mph.
Nvr*lost (07-11-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything said above is good, but be sure the brakes are adjusted properly at the wheels. Just Google Electric Brake adjustment, if you are not sure on how to do it.

I guess I missed the New trailer ordering. Sorry
Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

all good info..... but remember a full trailer might not skid or lock up where as a unloaded one will. I adjust my brakes after I load up for my trip, that way I am set for my trip. plus every trip you load different thing so don't think its a once done and forget it you will have to adjust it every trip plus trailer brakes can wear down! hope this all helps!
Nvr*lost (07-13-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 118 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
all good info..... but remember a full trailer might not skid or lock up where as a unloaded one will. I adjust my brakes after I load up for my trip, that way I am set for my trip.

Good point, the challenge I have with a horse trailer is that I didn't want to subject the horses to the stop and go jerking the brakes while finding the right adjustment.

So I loaded the Gator in the trailer and used that to approximate the loaded weight and determined the loaded adjustment.

Depending on which horses are loaded, the loaded weight can change plus or minus a couple hundred pounds, but I don't that should make a significant difference in the TBC adjustment.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Abn150
Good point, the challenge I have with a horse trailer is that I didn't want to subject the horses to the stop and go jerking the brakes while finding the right adjustment.

So I loaded the Gator in the trailer and used that to approximate the loaded weight and determined the loaded adjustment.

Depending on which horses are loaded, the loaded weight can change plus or minus a couple hundred pounds, but I don't that should make a significant difference in the TBC adjustment.
never thought about a live load but if you know what they weight of them are you could load up that much. that's a great idea!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 Trailer Brake Question