Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Towing Capacity Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 Towing Capacity Clarification

Apologies for the very basic question, but I have a 2018 150XLT 5.0L V8 4x4 Super Crew cab and I am purchasing a travel trailer with a UVW 4464 lbs. The window sticker on my truck says I have the 7,000 lb. GVWR package.

I'm assuming I'm pretty comfortable towing a travel trailer with a UVW 4464.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Good to go.
The following users liked this post:
Storeman (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

two separate posts that skip the towing section...…...
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Probably, but you've given us almost no relevant information to determine to what your truck can tow. The GVWR is the max amount of weight the truck can weigh with all passengers, cargo, and tongue weight included. The axle ratio is also needed to look at charts to determine max trailer weight, but that number will probably be well over 7000 lbs. 4464 is the empty weight of the trailer, what is the max weight the trailer is rated for? You could end up with a loaded weight of over 6000 lbs. It sure won't be 4464 after you add propane tanks, water, and pack it with food, cooking gear, bedding, and clothes.

It is payload that you need to know. That is how much weight your suspension is rated for. Your truck has a max payload sticker on the drivers door. My truck is 1621 lbs which is fairly typical. I've seen them range between 1100-2200 lbs depending on the truck. Figure 13% of the trailer weight as tongue weight and calculate the weight of passengers and cargo in the truck and make sure your truck can handle the weight. I'd use the max allowable trailer weight instead of the unloaded weight to calculate this.

Using my truck with 1621 lbs payload and a 6000 lb trailer I'd have 780 lbs tongue weight, Add another 100 lbs for a weight distribution hitch and I'm at almost 900 lbs. My truck also has a 200 lb cap on it so that leaves me with only 541 lbs for myself, passengers, and cargo in the truck. My truck is rated to tow 7700 lbs, but somewhere around 5000-6000 is a more practical limit for me. You just need to run the numbers on your truck.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep, you given us pretty much nearly nothing in regards to payload or towing capacity. all you've given us is the max the truck can weigh.
1. does it have the Max Tow package or the regular tow package?
2. what's the payload sticker say? it's yellow and white and say Tires and Loading, "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
3. what bed size?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:48 PM

Received 266 Likes on 193 Posts

Unfortunately, this is a real world example of what RVers run into with a 1/2 ton truck pulling an average weight, average size travel trailer. According to the published tow capabilities, the trucks are a little short of handling the job. I see most travel trailers being towed with 1/2 ton trucks and/or full size SUV's.

With a super premium weight distributing hitch like a Blue Ox or Hensley, you might be just fine towing that trailer. But I warn that those hitches are expensive.

I used to tow a 31' travel trailer with an Econoline van, and I now realize I was automatically overloaded. But I didn't tow the trailer often and I was only towing it 65 miles to our campground. So I say, if you're not towing very far and very often, go for it. LT/E tires and Air Bags also help tow a little heavier than weaker tires and normal suspensions.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:50 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaman
Unfortunately, this is a real world example of what RVers run into with a 1/2 ton truck pulling an average weight, average size travel trailer. According to the published tow capabilities, the trucks are a little short of handling the job. I see most travel trailers being towed with 1/2 ton trucks and/or full size SUV's.

With a super premium weight distributing hitch like a Blue Ox or Hensley, you might be just fine towing that trailer. But I warn that those hitches are expensive.

I used to tow a 31' travel trailer with an Econoline van, and I now realize I was automatically overloaded. But I didn't tow the trailer often and I was only towing it 65 miles to our campground. So I say, if you're not towing very far and very often, go for it. LT/E tires and Air Bags also help tow a little heavier than weaker tires and normal suspensions.
Probably figured it out 2 1/2 years ago...
Old 02-02-2021, 10:50 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I doubt it. Two posts starting two threads, and no other activity. Some people get overloaded once you start pulling out the numbers, and simply fade away.

Quick Reply: F150 Towing Capacity Clarification