Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 max tow upgrades

Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM
swj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F150 max tow upgrades

I have F150 SCrew max tow pkg 20 inch wheels, 3.5L Turbo. Trying to pull my Forset River Surveyor RKS 251 travel trailer(6000 lbs dry) with a Fastway 2 Weight Dist Kit.
Still getting sway. What aftermarket upgrades can be made to the truck to eliminate sway and pull the Trailer better? Below is Ford spec on the max tow
for reference?? For example, can I upgrade "max springs? Roadmaster? Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems?

Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

Requires 3.5L EcoBoost® engine.
Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max GCWR/Max Tow achieved on SuperCrew® when equipped with 20-inch Wheels. This configuration will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear, and upgraded stabilizer bar.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’d start off with loading your trailer as it would be for a camping trip and taking a visit to your local CAT scale or similar. Sway is often a product of lack of tongue weight or an improperly set up WDH.

Here is my set up:

2018 F150 3.5 EB MaxTow 4x4 157wb. I tow a 2017 MPG 2800QBS which is 33’ from tip to tail. I use a EAZlift WDH with 1,000lb bars and dual friction sway bars if I’m on the interstate. I don’t usually worry about sway control if I’m towing in the mountains on 2 lane roads. I’ve added Timbrens, Bilstein 5100’s all around and load range “E” tires.

I have zero sway with this set up and its very stable at all safe towing speeds. I don’t exceed 70mph if I’m running down the freeway.

Check your weights, read up on the proper adjustment of your style of hitch and go from there. If you don’t have some type of sway control I’d look into it; I’ve used it with all my HD trucks over the years as well as my F150’s.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I would spend the $$ on a better WDH. I have a Open Range Mesa Ridge Lite 2410RL, GVWR is 7400#, yellow sticker on TT is 6050, I have a Equalizer 4pt hitch with 1000# bars, no sway, basically the same truck as you. Payload on my truck is 1750#.
The following users liked this post:
swj (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by swj
I have F150 SCrew max tow pkg 20 inch wheels, 3.5L Turbo. Trying to pull my Forset River Surveyor RKS 251 travel trailer(6000 lbs dry) with a Fastway 2 Weight Dist Kit.
Still getting sway. What aftermarket upgrades can be made to the truck to eliminate sway and pull the Trailer better? Below is Ford spec on the max tow
for reference?? For example, can I upgrade "max springs? Roadmaster? Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems?

Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

Requires 3.5L EcoBoost® engine.
Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max GCWR/Max Tow achieved on SuperCrew® when equipped with 20-inch Wheels. This configuration will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear, and upgraded stabilizer bar.
Fastway WDH damps sway torque through friction located at L-brackets only, compare to its big brother, the Equal-i-zer damping sway torque at L/bracket as well and at spring bar pivots too. Most folks have good performance with fastway E2, so I wonder if there is something wrong with spring bar load adjustment ( a significant amount of load is required to get enough friction) or weight distribution at the pole ( 10-15% of trailer weight). Check those.

PS: your F150 is equiped with accelerometers sensing lateral forces applied during sway. When it occurs, the computer should send brake signals to the proper wheel (truck and trailer) to reduce sway. It’s an integrated electronic sway control. I never experienced sway with my setup ( 2016 F150, equal-i-zer 1200 and 5500# trailer) so I CAN'T tell what happens when this electronic sway control comes into play, but I’m curious if you noticed it on action while experiencing sway.

ride safe

Last edited by Nicklaus; 04-06-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Fastway e2. I find I have to return the front axle of the truck to 100% of unloaded weight to get the best results. Also be sure the trailer is slightly nose down, never nose high. Check that your bars are heavy enough for your tongue weight and the tongue weight is about 13% of trailer. Timbrens and suspension upgrades can help with squat and/or porpoising.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You shouldn't be having an issue with that set up. I'll echo others and suggest you take the rig to a scale, and start there. It could be as simple as how you have your trailer loaded. I'd check that,and add tongue weight if needed first. Any "upgrades" you make to the suspension will only mask the issue at best.

I'm towing a Rockwood mini lite 2509S bunkhouse behind my 18 maxtow screw with a 3.5L and 3.55s I have no issues using an Equal-i-zer with 1000lb bars.
The following users liked this post:
swj (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

As Nicklaus noted the Equalizer will do a better job of controlling sway. If you want to eliminate it, a Propride hitch will do the job. I'm towing a Flagstaff 26FKWS with one. I'm probably withing 150 lbs of your weight. My view, as comparisons - your hitch is equivalent to manual drum brakes. An Equalizer (and similar priced hitches) are power drum brakes. Propride is on level with disc brakes. They will all do the job. As the price goes up the job gets done better. And yes, a Propride is pricey. If you watch various RV forums and Craig's list, they do come up for sale used as owners up-size to 5th wheel trailers.

Side benefits, I think I can hitch and un-hitch faster than owners of other hitches. No WD bars to store. Much less likely to break your toe with one (guy reported doing that on another forum, thought he had released all tension on the WD bar before unhooking it - wrong and the wrench snapped down and hit his big toe). Allows you to turn a bit sharper and you will almost certainly be able to drop your tailgate while hitched, I have 2-3 inches of clearance to my tongue jack. Trailer will be harder to steal, you need a Propride hitch bar - won't work with a ball unless they remove the hitch.

The only physical drawback I know of,- you loose a bit of ground clearance at the hitch. I have never had a problem in over 25,000 miles of towing with it.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

How much does the trailer really weigh? A good bet is that it doesn't weigh what you think it does. Weigh it, and your truck then it will be much easier to determine what your truck will need.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ProPride hitch

I have a similar truck and tow a Jayco 29RKS (about 33ft tongue to bumper). I had a good hitch with dual friction sway bars, but I still had white knuckles and sway. Installed a ProPride 3P hitch and it is like night and day. I am comfortable with my wife pulling the camper with this hitch. It is expensive (around $3,000), but it is the best money you will spend. Research it ... you will find out I'm not pulling your leg. It's a game changer.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM
swj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what air pressure are you running in your michelin 275/55/R20, 35PSI per door jam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 max tow upgrades