Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Frame (Bump stop area weak?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F150 Frame (Bump stop area weak?)

Hey guys noticed that some of guys with Raptors are bending frames in the area of the bump stop. Seems like the frame in this area is weakend by a hole that is used to access the bump stop nut.

I feel that the guys bending frames are prolly pushing the limits of the raptor to the max and are to blame.

Reason I bring this up, is I was planning on adding some firestone air bags to my truck to help with leveling while hauling fire wood, or dirtbikes or whatever. Looking at these bags, they replace the bump stop and then lift the frame from that point. I have some concern doing this now, that I might be riding on a weak portion of the frame and could cause me issues.

Any of u guys heard of any problems with mounting bags to these trucks? Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

just to be sure, you might try something that doesn't modify your truck. I use Roadmaster Active Suspension and that works well. I don't think SuperSprings modifies anything either, but I have no experience with them. There are others I'm sure.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting point. The Timbren system mounts exactly where the bump stop go, but it does use a bracket.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

If you bend your frame from using airbags then you will have to have been grossly over loaded in the first place. Those Raptors owners that bent the frames did so because they subjected the truck to conditions and forces WAY above what the truck was never designed to endure.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
www.sldraftingdesign.com

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
If you bend your frame from using airbags then you will have to have been grossly over loaded in the first place. Those Raptors owners that bent the frames did so because they subjected the truck to conditions and forces WAY above what the truck was never designed to endure.
This! Hitting berms going that fast is ALOT of force with the suspension in the squatted position due to acceleration. The suspension had no time to react with the fast a motion. Where as when you see Raptors jumping and landing with no bent frame---that is because the suspension falls and is able to fully absorb the landing
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Stinson I have a 2011 eb I put firestone riderite 5000 air bags no problems except skined knuckles during install but way to much lift even with just min pressure took them off and sold them installed Timbren ses and they work well for my purpose no more squat with load or trailer at half the price of other systems i have noticed No bending or flexing of the frame in the bump stop area with either system and I do stretch the load limmet at times so if your not out trying to catch some air for the thrill or camera shot I dont think you have to worry about bending the frame
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Wow, I watched the video of a raptor hitting the cattle guard at speed! Holly crap that was a big hit. I feel alot better after watching that!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I also just installed the Timbrens, and they seem just right for what I'm doing. On my last truck I installed the TLC system (Total Load Control) with the 12v compressor, guage, switches inside the cabin,...all that stuff. On this new truck, I didn't want to do ALL that work again, and got the Timbren stuff. So far I really like it. It doesn't mess with my unloaded daily driving, and when I tow, it kicks in at the perfect height. Simple, no maintenance, no plumbing, no wires, not much to go wrong.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Stinson I have a 2011 eb I put firestone riderite 5000 air bags no problems except skined knuckles during install but way to much lift even with just min pressure took them off and sold them installed Timbren ses and they work well for my purpose no more squat with load or trailer at half the price of other systems i have noticed No bending or flexing of the frame in the bump stop area with either system and I do stretch the load limmet at times so if your not out trying to catch some air for the thrill or camera shot I dont think you have to worry about bending the frame
I have riderite air springs and agree it is too much even wth 15-20psi air in the bags. I think I also will be taking them off and getting timbrens or maybe even not using anything as mine doesn't squat when I have almost all the air out (min of 5psi) of the air springs and haul the 5th wheel.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by RedOne
I have riderite air springs and agree it is too much even wth 15-20psi air in the bags. I think I also will be taking them off and getting timbrens or maybe even not using anything as mine doesn't squat when I have almost all the air out (min of 5psi) of the air springs and haul the 5th wheel.

Cool, if you would like to sell them maybe we can work something out. Thanks

Quick Reply: F150 Frame (Bump stop area weak?)