Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 2016 3.5 v6 Eco 4x4 Max Tow Shortbed Platinum Super Crew Towing Capability

Old 10-11-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 2016 3.5 v6 Eco 4x4 Max Tow Shortbed Platinum Super Crew Towing Capability

Hi all,

We are looking to make our first purchase F150 2016 3.5 v6 Eco 4x4 Max Tow Shortbed Platinum Super Crew Towing Capability, with the idea of using it as a tow vehicle for a rockwood 35 foot GVWR of 8901. The dealership is saying this truck can more then handle it but I'm wondering If the F250 is more suitable and i don't want to make the wrong purchase and be unhappy.

Some post reads that you shouldn't go past 29 feet with the shortbed?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

With the trailer being 35 feet you are going to need a F250. Plus the platinums have a very low payload rating so you will be way over your legal payload. I think the pin weights on 5th wheels are around 15-20% of the trailer weight.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ksiegel35
We are looking to make our first purchase F150 2016 3.5 v6 Eco 4x4 Max Tow Shortbed Platinum Super Crew ...

Payload: 2,060 lbs
Towing: 11,500 lbs

... with the idea of using it as a tow vehicle for a rockwood 35 foot GVWR of 8901. The dealership is saying this truck can more then handle it...

The EcoBoost drivetrain can pull it with no problem, but you'll probably exceed the actual payload capacity (GVWR minus wet and loaded truck weight) and thus be overloaded with any TT that weighs more than about 6,000 pounds. That trailer will probably weigh over 7,500 pounds when wet and loaded for a camping trip, so I wouldn't commit to that combo unless I could load both the truck and trailer with my family and stuff and weigh it all on a CAT scale.

... but I'm wondering If the F250 is more suitable and i don't want to make the wrong purchase and be unhappy.
I suspect you'll be much happier with the F-250, but only if you get the Turbo-Diesel engine. So you're looking at a lot more money for the new F-250 with the equivalent luxury packages to match the F-150 Platinum.

I don't agree. It depends on your hitch. With an ordinary weight-distributing hitch they're right - even with the high-end of the ordinary WD hitches such as the Reese Strait-Line, Equao-I-Zer and Blue Ox SwayPro. . But spend the big bucks for a ProPride 3P hitch and you'll be fine with the shorty pickup.

But re-think what you're doing. You want a shorty F-150 (5.5' bed) but you're also considering an F-250 that has bed lengths of 6.5' or 8', and is not available with a 5.5' bed. If you would settle for an F-250 with 6.5' bed, why not settle for an F-150 with 6.5' bed?

With 6.5' bed on the F-150 SuperCrew you can get by with a less expensive hitch (Reese Strait-Line, Equal-I-Zer. Blue Ox SwayPro), all with list price around $1,000, or less than half the cost of a ProPride. But do not settle for a cheap hitch that you can find on-line for less than $600. The Reese Strait-Line, Equal-I-Zer, and Blue Ox will all cost over $600 complete with adjustable shank.

(Note that Reese also makes other designs that cost less than the Strait-Line, but stay away from any Reese hitch that is not a Strait-Line.)

Last edited by smokeywren; 10-11-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ksiegel35
Hi all,

We are looking to make our first purchase F150 2016 3.5 v6 Eco 4x4 Max Tow Shortbed Platinum Super Crew Towing Capability, with the idea of using it as a tow vehicle for a rockwood 35 foot GVWR of 8901. The dealership is saying this truck can more then handle it but I'm wondering If the F250 is more suitable and i don't want to make the wrong purchase and be unhappy.

Any advice is appreciated.
My advice is ignore the dealership. Even better find a salesman who knows what he's talking about ... but that may be impossible.

If you want 2016 Platinum, you will need to move up to an F250/350 for that trailer. If you go for the heavier diesel option get an F350 for the payload.

It might be possible to do that trailer with an F150 Ecoboost with the HD Payload option. But they are not available in Platinum, usually have to be special ordered, and not even sure that they are making them for 2016 yet.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smokeywren-wise beyond your years. You always have good information that makes sense. and easy to understand.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahem
Smokeywren-wise beyond your years.
Well, thanx for the flowers, but I have plenty of years. I'll be 77 in 3 weeks.

But I'm beginning to feel my years. Drove 1,300 miles (round trip) to Lake Vallecito near Durango CO in early October for a meeting of Darling Wife's old professional group, so that was two very long days of driving. Then turned around as soon as we got back home and drove to the Detroit area. Married off a grand nephew in Auburn Hills MI, then crossed over into Canada to visit friends that live on Lake Huron. Three long days going and another three long days coming home, about 3,600 miles round trip. We got home Wednesday night, and 6 days later I'm still not fully recovered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 2016 3.5 v6 Eco 4x4 Max Tow Shortbed Platinum Super Crew Towing Capability