Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 diesel for 2018 models

Old 01-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Default F-150 diesel for 2018 models

Originally Posted by Automotive News
Ford is adding its first-ever diesel variant and a new V-6 engine to the freshened F-150 pickup for 2018 to further boost the fuel efficiency of its top-selling and most profitable product line.

The ties that still bind Ford and Land Rover -- engines

F-150's diesel engine is already available here in Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. The British SUVs give a good indication on what to expect from the diesel F-150 in terms of power and fuel efficiency.
So the specs for that diesel engine are available now, in the current Range Rover specs. I'll probably never own another new pickup, but if I were to buy a new one I'd put that diesel F-150 at the top of my wish list.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
So the specs for that diesel engine are available now, in the current Range Rover specs. I'll probably never own another new pickup, but if I were to buy a new one I'd put that diesel F-150 at the top of my wish list.
Like the Cummins Titan XL, I wonder if the diesel F150 will lose substantial payload. That would make it great truck for mileage, longevity, and distance driving with lighter loads, but not so good for towing; leaving the 3.5 EB at the top of the pack for that purpose.

The Diesel Range Rover V6 has 252 HP and 443 ft-lb of torque in the Range Rover Sport. That would slot this engine in lower than the rare base 3.5 Naturally Aspirated engines for HP and in between the 3.5 EB and 5.0 for torque. The Range Rover Sport is rated for a max tow of 7716 lbs, but the website doesn't differentiate between the gas and diesel. I couldn't find any payload specs to compare the Range Rover gas vs diesel options specs for towing and payload stickers.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I've been lovin on the Eco diesel but hate the package it comes wrapped in

If the F150 gets similar HP, TQ and MPG as the Eco Diesel I may finally be buying my first new truck in 2019, after the bugs have been worked out a little

Edit: It appears they made the announcement at the Detroit Auto show and everyone is reporting on this now. Exciting as they have lost some market share to the Eco Diesel. Ford is talking slightly better HP and TQ and better MPG then the Eco

Last edited by Dirttracker18; 01-09-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I agree with the above. In a HDPP truck the diesel option could be the best 1/2 tow rig available. BUT, if they only allow it on the upper trims, or if the engine alone knocks 500#s off payload then it's just going to be in the 2.7EB class. A nice amount of HP, TQ, and MPGs. But no real added tow/haul capability. It may be great for the guy that pulls a 3-6k# trailer everyday. It'd be interesting to see the towing mpg compared to the gas burners.

I would also like to say. The hp and tq are rarely (if ever) the limiting factor in towing/hauling. The 3.5EB and even 5.0L (when paired with proper gearing) are both able to tow/haul more than is safe in these trucks. Even the HDPP and MAX tow rigs. I just don't see the suspension, brakes, stability, etc. of these trucks being safe over about 14000# Gross weight.

Are we seeing the return of the "heavy-half" or will it be the 3/4 ton "light duty"? blurring the line perhaps?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM

I doubt you would be adding 500# of extra weight as the engine is only 3.0l and is currently used in the Range Rovers.

I also don't think they are shooting for sky high towing but simply along the lines of what the current 1/2 tons have. This is set up for the guy that wants to get good MPG but tows a TT some of the time and wants TQ for that.

That is me! That's why I have been eyeing up the eco diesel. Great MPG when empty but tons of TQ and good MPG when towing.

I love the idea of them using a tried and tested diesel and avoiding the issue being seen with most new entry engines.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
I doubt you would be adding 500# of extra weight as the engine is only 3.0l and is currently used in the Range Rovers.

I also don't think they are shooting for sky high towing but simply along the lines of what the current 1/2 tons have. This is set up for the guy that wants to get good MPG but tows a TT some of the time and wants TQ for that.

That is me! That's why I have been eyeing up the eco diesel. Great MPG when empty but tons of TQ and good MPG when towing.

I love the idea of them using a tried and tested diesel and avoiding the issue being seen with most new entry engines.
yep, I can agree with this. Unless the diesel option is reserved for platinum and limited trims. In which case comparing an Xlt 302 or Lariat 501 3.5EB or 5.0L there may very well be 500#s difference. I think you are right about the good mpg when towing. I can't say for certain without gearing options behind it, but I'd expect the diesel to be more fuel efficient whether towing or not.

Will also be interesting to see the price for the diesel option. If too high then it could nullify the fuel savings for the average driver.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Some numbers put out for a few articles I have read say the Range Rover is getting about 29 mpg highway with this engine in a comparable weight to a mid range F150. That is looking great right off the bat. Add to this that Ford plans to put the 10 speed trans behind this truck and they may squeak out an extra mpg or two Overall it is going to absolutely kill any gas option F150 for mileage empty or towing.

The Eco Diesel is getting better mpg towing then I am driving my SCrew empty!

I would assume you might be right about the upper end rigs only getting this options as that is what Dodge has done with the Eco Diesel option. However the weight would be the same for a similarly equipped gas model. I think we might see a slight bit of weight added but it is a small engine overall. I would think comparable in weight to the Coyote.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see the Diesel in the XL and XLT trims first to get them into folks' hands that "use" the truck for truck stuff mostly.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods Truck
I'd like to see the Diesel in the XL and XLT trims first to get them into folks' hands that "use" the truck for truck stuff mostly.
er I hate that stigma. In reality the XL and XLT guys typically do the most hauling and the Lariat+ guys typically do the most towing. That's what I find to be true in my area. I feel both of those tasks are pretty "truck stuff".
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by berty
er I hate that stigma. In reality the XL and XLT guys typically do the most hauling and the Lariat+ guys typically do the most towing. That's what I find to be true in my area. I feel both of those tasks are pretty "truck stuff".
I dislike the stereotype as well. But also a lot of fleets are XL and XLTs so making the diesel available to them would be nice. Also making the diesel available in the XL and XLT platforms could also make it available in the lighter-weight regular cab and supercab configs. Along with the 8' bed option. While Lariats are available in supercabs, the KR, PL, LTD are not.

Search this Thread