Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected mpg out West

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Expected mpg out West

I have a 2015 F-150 w 3.5L Ecoboost pulling a 5200 lb travel trailer. Going on a 2 week vacation this summer, basically from Indiana to Yellowstone to Grand Canyon thru Colorado and back home (wife and I are taking 3 oldest grandkids). What should I expect in terms of trip mpg? Any other helpful hints, potential gotchas, etc? I've only pulled 100 miles one way up til now.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaughn Sylva
...from Indiana to Yellowstone to Grand Canyon thru Colorado and back home (wife and I are taking 3 oldest grandkids). What should I expect in terms of trip mpg?

About 9 to 10 MPG on premium gas if you cruise at 60 to 62 MPH when towing. Maybe 11 MPG in some areas. I usually get enough better MPG on premium gas to pay for the extra cost of premium.

Any other helpful hints, potential gotchas, etc? I've only pulled 100 miles one way up til now.

Dodge the steep mountain passes on I-90 and I-70. Instead plan your route to cross the mountains on I-80 and I-40.

So do not cross the Rockies on I-90 - instead when you depart the Yellowstone area go south to I-80, then go to I-15 and follow that to Southern Utah. Visit Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat'l Parks while you're near, then go to the north side of Grand Canyon.

When you depart the Grand Canyon area, do not go back north to I-70. Instead go south to I-40 and cross the Rockies on I-40. If you don't pay close attention to the road signs, you probably won't realize when you cross the Continental Divide.

When you get to Albuquerque, decide if you really want to see some of Colorado. If you do, then go north on I-25 to Denver, then east on I-70 to the flatlands. If not, then just stay on I-40 and motor east.

I lived in the Denver Area for over 20 years, so I've been there, done that.
The following 3 users liked this post by smokeywren:
Jason_Larsen (01-08-2016), Vaughn Sylva (01-03-2016), Velosprout (01-05-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

I get 11 mpg with the Eco pulling 5,500 lb RV trailer at 60 mph on my 3,000 mile trips to the SE of the US. When I go "West", I get about 10 mpg because of the wide open spaces and a lot more negative effect from the constant wind. Also, there are more elevation changes.
The following users liked this post:
Vaughn Sylva (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Worst towing mileage I've had was fighting the headwinds (~9 mpgUS).
Best about 11.5 mpgUS. Average around 10.2 mpgUS.

Mileage is affected more by wind and the trailer's frontal area than weight. I've got 64 sqft frontal area and an ~8000# trailer but only travel 60-62 mph. Sometimes use premium, esp. in the mountains, regular otherwise.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 AM

Smokeywren, this is very helpful. Am I walking into a suicide mission going from Grand Canyon to Durango, up million dollar highway, to Crested Butte then to Royal Gorge?
Old 01-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaughn Sylva
Am I walking into a suicide mission going from Grand Canyon to Durango, up million dollar highway, to Crested Butte then to Royal Gorge?

Nah, it's not that bad, but your pickup will get a real workout. Be sure to use tow/haul mode. If you have Lariat or better trim, then put your dash in gauges mode and watch that tranny temp like a hawk. Don't allow more than 225°.

If you don't have the digital tranny temp gauge, then use the dummy tranny temp gauge on the dash. Green means go, but watch it constantly in case it jumps up to the yellow zone. The instant it jumps into the yellow you're too hot, so stop, shift to neutral or park, and elevate the idle RPM to about 1,200. Sit there twiddling your thumbs until the gauge drops back into the green.

Your EcoBoost drivetrain should have no problems with a 5,200 pound trailer if you don't overheat the tranny.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Watch your speed, don't be afraid to downshift on steep grades. I've seen several Semis and pick ups tow over Loveland pass way too fast and end up in an overrun, or sitting in Arapahoe basin and Keystone's parking lots with brake fires.

If you do want to tow through the mountains, and want to save some gas, consider doing it on the return trip. Kansas may seem flat as a pancake but you'll gain nearly 5000 feet in elevation between Kansas City and Denver. The prevailing winds will also be on your tail. I've made the trip from St. Louis to the Rockies several times in a variety of vehicles from cars up to a 24' U-Haul. I've always gotten better gas mileage coming back by a couple mpg.

Summit County is one of my favorite places. There is a US Forest service campground at Lake Dillon that looks very nice but I have never stayed there. Take a look at Moab too. Arches NP is amazing. You could probably spend the whole trip at any one of the places you've mentioned because there is a ton to see and explore that Indiana won't offer.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just moved from Colorado to Oregon pulling a 7k 32' TT. Avoid I-70, it's not the most fun in the winter, and gas mileage will be worse. I-80 and I-40 will be so much easier on you.

I averaged 9 mpg on the 1600 mile trip, you'll probably do 10-11 if you take your time and don't have to fight blizzards.
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (01-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Expected mpg out West