Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Car Trailer Purchasing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Enclosed Car Trailer Purchasing Advice

Well, I picked up thenew truck last month with the intention of using it to get one of my cars tosome shows. I’m looking for some input regarding enclosed car trailers.

The car is 17.5 feetlong and weighs 4,200 pounds.

Looking at a 20’-24’trailer.

Trailer would only befor occasional use or to store one of my other cars. Not looking for an overthe top model but don’t want a cheap POS either.

Would like input on makes, models, construction, upgrades and what to watch out for. I willprobably need to order since I need an escape door.

Tow vehicle is a ’17 3.5EB SuperCrew, Max Tow.

Looking for a westcoast dealer. I’m in Reno.

Thanks,
Micah
Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

You also will need a weight distribution hitch.

Check the Payload sticker on your door jamb. Subtract any mods you made or added. Subtract weight of yourself and all passengers. Subtract 75 - 125 for weight distribution hitch.

Take remaining value and divide by 0.13. This is the max LOADED trailer you can have. Subtract 4,200 pounds for your car. This is the max UNLOADED trailer you can have.

Hopefully max tow gives you enough payload for your needs.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch out for escape door clearance. I purchased a diamond cargo with an escape door that on paper cleared but when I got it home, quickly found it it did not due to the door seal lip. I could have used a 2x10 on the driver's side and raised the car enough, but was annoyed.

I have recently upgraded to an inTech with a fully removable fender and full 10' escape door, which is money!! Then again, the trailer was three times more expensive than the cheaper steel cargo trailer I replaced.
The following users liked this post:
71Maverick (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

I just went through this extensively. I ended up buying a used trailer made by Mirage Enterprises, which interestingly is located in Idaho.

If you're buying new, look at these details:

Axles - I got torsion axles on mine but there are some disadvantages to them. Read up on the differences between torsion and leaf-sprung axles.

Walls - Make sure your wall and roof framework is on 16" centers, not 24"

Height - Lots of trailers are standard with short 6' heights and you have to pay extra for the extra height. The ramp door opening is usually 6" less than the height, so in order to get a full 6' door opening, you'll need a 6'6" height or taller.

Vents - Roof vents are a must! It gets hotter than blue hell inside these things during summer. Side vents are nice, but I have a roof vent also!

Locks - I prefer RV style locks on the side door because then you can get in/out of the trailer. With only a bar lock, you're trapped inside and can only close/open the door from the outside of the trailer. Bonus points for BOTH style locks on the side door for security AND convenience.

Roof - A one piece roof will be a GREAT thing years down the road. Mine has a sectional roof, and I just spend lots of money having to go over every seam and seal it back up.

Lights - You'll want good interior trailer lighting. And you'll need two fuses installed under the hood to make them work probably. I didn't know that at first!
71Maverick (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
Axles - I got torsion axles on mine but there are some disadvantages to them. Read up on the differences between torsion and leaf-sprung axles.

My cargo trailer has Dexter Torflex (torsion) axles. The only disadvantage I've noticed is the difference in how you raise the trailer on its suspension, i.e., how you "flip the axles". Dexter sells a kit that provides a little trailer lift, but only a little.

Also, the TorFlex axle cannot be modified to increase braking capacity or payload capacity or change the axle lube system. . If you need more axle, then you must replace the entire axle with a new axle.

I really like the TorFlex axles on my cargo trailer, and I'm glad I have them compared to the leaf spring + added shocks suspension on my TT. I don't need to lift the trailer nor modify anything about the trailer axles, so I like them just the way Dexter made them.

Here is the sales hype from Dexter:

Originally Posted by Dexter Axle FAQ
TORFLEX - What are the advantages of Torflex versus Leaf Spring axles?
The Dexter Torflex axle carries a 5 year warranty vs. a 1 year warranty on our sprung axles, which demonstrates how confident we are with the Torflex suspension. There are no suspension parts to wear out (spring shackles, hangers, etc.). Rubber cushioning eliminates metal-to-metal contact. The axle capacity can be closely matched to the trailer requirements by the amount of rubber assembled in the axle. The independent suspension allows each wheel to travel totally independent from the others. A smoother ride, less sway and reduced noise is achieved with the rubber suspension. The axle can be built with various start angles to achieve desired trailer height.
71Maverick (05-04-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to say that speaking with several of the trailer salesmen has shown that some are clueless about the product they sell. I asked one what the standard height was. He had no idea. He was supposed to send me a quote. So far nothing. Another was to send some photos. I never got the photos but got internet links that do not work.

Amazing

Micah
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

If you shop new, you'll notice that there are about 47 brands that are all made in or near Douglas, GA. Apparently Georgia is the enclosed trailer sweatshop of the nation. I've heard that the trailers that come from there are low quality but I didn't buy one so I don't know.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
If you shop new, you'll notice that there are about 47 brands that are all made in or near Douglas, GA. Apparently Georgia is the enclosed trailer sweatshop of the nation. I've heard that the trailers that come from there are low quality but I didn't buy one so I don't know.
I recently purchased a 7x16 enclosed cargo trailer. Looked around for awhile researching, and you are correct. GA is the epicenter of utility/cargo trailers for some reason. As far as the low quality, I believe it may be true due to circumstance more than a factual blanket statement. The competition out of there is so fierce, they try to reduce costs in every way to offer the lowest opening price point unit. The one I went with came form a manufacturer in Georgia, but it wasn't the cheapest because there were certain things I wanted (treated wood floor, square tubing, triple frame tongue, etc). Nice trailers come from there, but those aren't the ones you see all the trailer retailers advertising on craigslist because they cost a little more.