Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is an economical scale a good way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default is an economical scale a good way to go?

We will be buying a new TT in the next year or so and as many have pointed out the 13% number is just a rough estimate of tongue weight. I am thinking of buying an inexpensive scale like this one click here. I think this would be a good idea since what you load into the TT and where you put it will make big changes. Does anyone here use something like this? Is this about the best "inexpensive" model you know of?

Looking for opinions and maybe some perspective from folks who own/use something like this. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
We will be buying a new TT in the next year or so and as many have pointed out the 13% number is just a rough estimate of tongue weight. I am thinking of buying an inexpensive scale like this one click here. I think this would be a good idea since what you load into the TT and where you put it will make big changes. Does anyone here use something like this? Is this about the best "inexpensive" model you know of?

Looking for opinions and maybe some perspective from folks who own/use something like this. Thanks!
Yep, Sherline is about the least expensive purpose built one you are going to find.

I actually use the bathroom scale and beam method. Quick example: http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/

I get in my OEM specified 12% range and then get 'er out on the road and see how it tows. I shift weight if needed. Never usually need to.

Since mine is a TT and it's only the wife and myself, our load is fairly "standardized". I check my tongue when swapping tow vehicles as I'm redoing the WDH usually anyways. Other than that, I don't worry about it too much if it's towing stable and true. Like I said, our load doesn't change in the trailer any significant amount. Fresh, gray and black water tanks are what moves my tongue around more than "junk". But we always run with dry tanks unless we can't dump before pulling out, which pretty much never happens.

Numbers are only a starting point, handling is the final determining factor.

Last edited by Great white; 03-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
larry2c (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I do the same with the bathroom scale. A cheap Walmart one for $9 is what I used, with a pair of 7' 2x4 and 2 copper pipes along with a 2" patio block. I usually travel with a full FWT but mine is just a hair forward of the front axle so it has little effect on the TW, and does counter the grey and black tanks when they are about 1/3rd full.

If I overnight on a road trip I usually hook up FW but don't dump until I reach my final destination, which might be a two day trip, so works out well for me.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
Does anyone here use something like this?

Yep, that's the one I have been using since I downsized from a 5er to a TT about 6 years ago. Sherline Tongue Weight scale.

Is this about the best "inexpensive" model you know of?

The Sherline is the only one I've heard about. At about $150 from eTrailer.com, I don't consider that "inexpensive", but it's not a bank-breaker either.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks all - I've thought about the bathroom scale method before but the one we have is a fairly expensive glass topped one and the wife would probably not want to see that under the TT tongue!

I agree that $150 isn't really cheap but when it comes to tools, I'm pretty good at buying them and keeping them forever so 150/forever isn't terrible.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I paid $123.99 for mine plus $15.84 shipping for mine about a month ago. Got it from propride
Old 03-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I paid $9 for mine, and use it in my workshop too for weighing my planes. I don't weigh myself though, would rather NOT know!