Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durability of 250 Diesel vs Eco Booster HD

Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durability of 250 Diesel vs Eco Booster HD

I am curious as to thoughs regarding the engine durability of the 2012 F 150 eco Booster with both the HD and max tow package vs a 2012 F 250 diesel. Both have a GVWR capability of 11000 pounds. It just seems to me that the smaller engine would not be as durable, am I correct?

John
Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

From an engine standpoint it is unknown at this point. But, Diesel engines in general are purpose built for long term durability and power. One would imagine that the diesel will last longer. For the average 1/2 ton owner/weekend warrior, I would expect a person would see no difference in durability of the power train. For the everyday hauler, I would probably pick the F250/diesel if I had the budget. It all comes down to the right tool for the job. The Ecoboost F150 Max HD fits my day to day commuting and garage parking. If I was in construction or farming and was hitched up to the gooseneck everyday, I would think the F250 would be ther better choice.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

the 250 hands down is more durable in every way. That is the reason it is a 250 and not a 150.

But can they last equally as long yes. But if you are going to be constantly pushing the limits of your vehicle the 250 diesel will win.

At the same time gas engines are cheaper to maintain generally and they dont need urea.

250 is great for the everyday workload but the 150 is great for the weekend warrior as the previous poster said.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Diesels will go for many more miles before the main block needs a major overhaul, but they've got just as many other components as a gasser that can go bad before that.

Direct injection fuel pumps, camshafts and turbos are all similar. But the exhaust/emissions systems with urea are more complicated in a diesel.

My diesel VW required ~$4K in repairs to a chain driven oil pump after the chain guides went bad at 100K miles. Others with the same VW engine are now investing in new/refurbished camshafts at ~150K miles. But after these repairs the engines are still running w/o a block overhaul at ~300K miles (but usually with a tranny rebuild).

Diesels are more expensive to purchase initially and more expensive to maintain afterwards.

If I needed a truck to run ~300K miles before the rest of it fell apart I would consider a diesel. But Ford's V8 diesel is a monster with almost twice the low-end torque of the Ecoboost. If you need that, you need it. But for most of us the Ecoboost's low-end torque and mileage is good enough.

If Ford came out with a smaller, cheaper V6 diesel then I would be tempted more though.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I kind of think this is an apples and oranges question. I know we don't have a lot of history yet on the EB. To me it really depends on durability compared to what the truck is used for. Let's say you use both trucks at a 70% of there max they will probably be fairly comparable maybe the diesel will be a bit more durable. If your trying to get 300,000 miles out of it then probably the diesel but you will be putting a lot into throughout those miles. The initial cost is another thing to look at. A loaded diesel is at $60 thousand plus and a loaded EB at 50 or so plus maintenance of both. It all goes back to how long one keeps a truck, what they use it for and how well they maintain it. The later being the most important. An EB well maintained with synthetic oil and very **** on the rest of the scheduled maintance will run for a long time. A person who doesn't follow the maintenance schedule of a diesel may have early onset issues. Of course this is just my opinions and thoughts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durability of 250 Diesel vs Eco Booster HD