Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downhill towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Downhill towing

Have a 2016 F150 SuperCab 2.7V6 Ecoboost with SelectShift auto transmission and tow package. Will be pulling a 5000lb+ travel trailer. Am new to towing and have a question about best method to keep from killing myself (and/or others) on steep downhill grades. Most towing forums indicate best things are keeping low speed and not using up your brakes. I see 2 options. Option 1 - Put truck in tow/haul mode, transmission in D and use brakes as needed to keep speed down. Option 2 - Put truck in tow/haul mode, transmission in M and in low gear (3-4), brake as needed to keep rpms down. Any real difference between the two or any other suggestions?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:20 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Tow haul mode will help you maintain your speed. Get your trailer loaded like you'd take out and test it in an area with little traffic and several hills. A lot depends on the hill you are going down (or up) and your adjustments to the speed. Generally with an automatic it will downshift for you when needed to manage your speed. Also find a large parking lot to practice backing your trailer. If you have never pulled a trailer before backing is a lot different than most people recognize.

The biggest thing is going a consistent speed. Tow Haul will "learn" what speed you are trying to go and will help you adjust. Imagine you have an egg between your foot and the brake and you can't break the egg unless it's an emergency. Also keep in mind you are doubling the weight of your vehicle and you will want to keep a safe following distance of at least 3x what it normally takes you to stop. Cars will cut you off but don't over react to it just let off the gas a little.

If you like riding bumpers back the #$!@#!$@5 off and take your time.

Last edited by Aragorn; 04-25-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

There's also a third option...trans in D, T/H mode on, and lock out higher gears with the (-) on the shifter. This will allow the trans to shift up and down, but will not shift any higher than the highest gear displayed on the dash.

Also, in my experience, a quick touch of the brakes (like 2-3 seconds) while going downhill in T/H mode and the trans will downshift. It won't upshift until touch the gas pedal.
The following 4 users liked this post by jp360cj:
raisin (04-26-2017), Ricktwuhk (04-25-2017), Rustell (06-16-2017), SkiSmuggs (06-16-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

good advice.

You can also test out some of the T/H features WITHOUT a trailer attached. The downshifting/engine braking won't be as noticeable, but will be safer than testing with a trailer first.

It doesn't hurt to drive in TH without towing or hauling. So just hit the button and experiment with different braking techniques and you'll learn where, when, and how the trans reacts differently in TH than S or Regular modes.
The following users liked this post:
Aragorn (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the information, very useful. Hadn't thought about locking out the higher gears. And Aragorn, no need to worry about me bumper riding, that's never been my style. My wife says I drive like an old lady but I've found that translates well to pulling a trailer....
Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Another thing you could do is rent a trailer from uhaul for a day and pull it around and drive it in different conditions. It won't fully simulate your planned trailer but will give you some experience pulling a trailer.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Option 2 + the trailer brake. I had to take my 7000lb GVWR TT down some very steep roads in NY State last year. For the first hill I did it in D (T/H mode) and just used the truck's brakes and it wasn't fun and the brakes didn't smell so good after. From then on it was M and I had it in 2nd gear for stretches but with judicious use of the manual trailer brake I rarely had to touch the truck's brakes. (Note: I have the 5L so revving the engine is OK for it.)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I would always use tow/haul pulling that trailer. I live in Southwest Oregon and any way I go from here is up or down so I have towed a lot on windy mountain roads. The best advice I will give is make sure your hitch with the WD bars are set up properly and take it easy. You shouldn't need to go too slow just take it easy and drive carefully. Be cautious the first few downhill curves until you know how your truck and trailer combo is going to work. If you are being pushed around corners or getting a lot of sway then you may need to add more spring to the rear or reset your hitch and redistribute the weight. I haven't towed much with my new 3.5 EB yet but I did notice in Tow/Haul it does use the engine braking quite well. I have never found that my brakes on my '02 Silverado 1/2 ton overheated but make sure you have brakes on the trailer and that your brake controller is adjusted correctly.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

I used to think towhaul mode was a gimmick.....not any more.

It was a fabulous feature going up and down the colorado rockys front range with trailer.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

+10 Tow mode works well. Even with our 3500 pound trailer, going down mountains and grades it really helps. And yes, we have mountains here in North Carolina.