Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone actually use Trailer Pro Back-up assist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Does anyone actually use Trailer Pro Back-up assist?

So, I am over 50, learned to drive a standard transmission by the age of 10, received a "Hardship" license at the age of 14,and learned how to back-up a trailer by the age of about 15 or 16. When I say trailer, now I don't mean huge travel or 5th wheel, but bumper pull trailers with boats, or flat trash type trailers to about 20 feet long or so. It is second nature and I am very very good at it.

I never set up the Trailer Pro stickers on my trailers, and have never used mine in the 2 years I have owned it. I feel like it would be very counter-intuitive to me to try and use it.It seems to me, with a boat or high trailer, all you would see in the camera is the nose of the boat or trailer, and not where the back end is going.

How about you guys? Do any of you use it? Is it an awesome cant live without it feature to you or a seldom used gimmick? Please let me know if I am missing out by not using it.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

FWIW, I dont trust backup cameras, e v e r. I trust my mirrors and I stick my head out the door to double...triple check. I'm not far behind you and honestly I prefer old school style
Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Almost the exact same situation here. I briefly read about it in the manual, and looked at the little decals in there, but I've never used it at all. Probably won't either... I know how to back up to all of my trailers. But I'll admit, the backup camera is nice and I got used to that in my '11 and '14. And even then I could back up to all my trailers pretty close to the ball/coupler. I use my mirrors until I get within a foot or two of the ball/coupler, then the camera from there. Once in a while, I'd have to reposition the truck slightly, but the camera almost completely eliminates the need for that, even at night.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by i2oadi2unnei2
FWIW, I dont trust backup cameras, e v e r. I trust my mirrors and I stick my head out the door to double...triple check. I'm not far behind you and honestly I prefer old school style
You don't trust backup cameras?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I set my boat and trailer up with the sticker and did all the measuring, etc., but have never used it with the boat trailer attached to the truck. Have a hard time trusting it, especially when I have to back the boat into the shed, and don't want to take out the framing/edge of the door with a fender, etc. I need or want to use it but can't bring myself to do it. LOL
Old 05-15-2019, 06:00 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

I just bought a 2016 with it. Previous owner used the stickers because I found the card in the glovebox. I have absolutely no intention of ever getting any more stickers. In fact if I ever add a brake controller to my truck I'd like to remove the auto backup **** and put the brake controller in it's place.

I'm 53 and have been pulling trailers since I was 16. No use for this feature whatsoever. It's for people who don't know how to back up a trailer yet.
The following users liked this post:
Wanna Ride (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Also well north of 50 here. You guys should really consider giving it a chance. I fully agreed but decided to go ahead and use it for a bit just for fun. Once you get accustomed it is a very useful tool. Proclaiming to be too experienced or too skilled to need it is fine, however, being dismissive of new technology based on never having needed it before just makes you sound too old to learn new things.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
#1SaintsFan (05-20-2019), F150since1997 (05-16-2019), HappyUSACamper (05-15-2019), Ricktwuhk (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rbraughn
So, I am over 50, learned to drive a standard transmission by the age of 10, received a "Hardship" license at the age of 14,and learned how to back-up a trailer by the age of about 15 or 16. When I say trailer, now I don't mean huge travel or 5th wheel, but bumper pull trailers with boats, or flat trash type trailers to about 20 feet long or so. It is second nature and I am very very good at it.

I never set up the Trailer Pro stickers on my trailers, and have never used mine in the 2 years I have owned it. I feel like it would be very counter-intuitive to me to try and use it.It seems to me, with a boat or high trailer, all you would see in the camera is the nose of the boat or trailer, and not where the back end is going.

How about you guys? Do any of you use it? Is it an awesome cant live without it feature to you or a seldom used gimmick? Please let me know if I am missing out by not using it.
I forgot I even had that feature.

I think a lot of those features, such as lane keep, automatic breaking, blind spot, etc, are for people who need the extra help.

If I was old, or a alcoholic, I would definitely want those safety aides to help me make it down the road, but I don't need them now.
Wanna Ride (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Maury82
I forgot I even had that feature.

I think a lot of those features, such as lane keep, automatic breaking, blind spot, etc, are for people who need the extra help.

If I was old, or a alcoholic, I would definitely want those safety aides to help me make it down the road, but I don't need them now.
Alcoholics should only drive with technology aids?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Many posts by long time trailer users loving it. Don't knock what you haven't tried.
F150since1997 (05-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Does anyone actually use Trailer Pro Back-up assist?