Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does 4wheel drive effect towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does 4wheel drive effect towing capacity

If you have to use 4wheel drive does that effect your towing capacity,
Old 04-30-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Nope, but can take a couple hundred, more or less from overall payload, but nothing from actual towing.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Nope, but can take a couple hundred, more or less from overall payload, but nothing from actual towing.
Thanks again acdii, This is a great site I Have a million questions but know I'm off to work to pay for my truck , One more before I go, what do you recommend when driving do you use automatic or do you drive your truck in manual thanks again
Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Depends on the terrain. If hilly and towing the travel trailer I set it to tow haul mode and lock out top gear, if towing my RC trailer I just keep it in regular mode. On relatively flat roads I just stick it in T/H for the TT.

That was for my 2014 with 3.15 gears, I haven't towed with my 16 yet, so wont know if I need to lock out top gear or not, it has 3.55 gears.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Semperfi2800
... what do you recommend when driving do you use automatic or do you drive your truck in manual thanks again

When towing, I use automatic, cruise control, and tow-haul mode. My F-150 has the SelectShift tranny with "M" mode, but I never use it. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM or computer) is a lot smarter than I am, so I allow it to decide which gear I need to be in, whether going up or down the mountain. When going down the mountain in tow-haul mode, I tap the brakes once to wake up the tow-haul program. Then I set cruise control at about 5 MPH less than my target speed. Then hang on and steer. On the rare times when the rig gets going too fast, I use the service brakes to quickly slow down to my target speed, then resume the cruise control. Works great.

I rarely lock out gears. Tow/Haul mode does that for me automagically.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
When towing, I use automatic, cruise control, and tow-haul mode. My F-150 has the SelectShift tranny with "M" mode, but I never use it. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM or computer) is a lot smarter than I am, so I allow it to decide which gear I need to be in, whether going up or down the mountain. When going down the mountain in tow-haul mode, I tap the brakes once to wake up the tow-haul program. Then I set cruise control at about 5 MPH less than my target speed. Then hang on and steer. On the rare times when the rig gets going too fast, I use the service brakes to quickly slow down to my target speed, then resume the cruise control. Works great.

I rarely lock out gears. Tow/Haul mode does that for me automagically.
Ok thanks I have the same set up , I have heard of people saying to lock out 6th gear but my boat is around 4500 loaded so I think your idea should work. I like to keep it simple so ill try that . Thanks again
Old 05-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Depends on the terrain. If hilly and towing the travel trailer I set it to tow haul mode and lock out top gear, if towing my RC trailer I just keep it in regular mode. On relatively flat roads I just stick it in T/H for the TT.

That was for my 2014 with 3.15 gears, I haven't towed with my 16 yet, so wont know if I need to lock out top gear or not, it has 3.55 gears.
I have 2013 with 3.7v6 with 3.73 gears my boat I'm guessing weights about 4500 loaded I thinking It should tow it fine ,I have a tournament this weekend so I will find out . thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Everything else being equal the extra axle on the front and transfer case will weigh 200-300 lbs and reduce towing and payload capacity by that amount. Not much really and everything is rarely equal.

Most 4X4's are geared lower than 4X2's and that will more than make up the extra weight in towing capacity. The payload may or may not be reduced depending on the suspension package.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

The owners manual , and the trailer towing guide show a 200 pound difference between the capability of a 2 wheel drive and the 4 Wheel drive.