Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disturbing noise when pulling uphill

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Disturbing noise when pulling uphill

Coming back from my first trip with the camper there was a brief noise that coincided with putting my foot down on the gas, it sounded like grinding metal, kinda metal hitting a belt sander.

I was doing 60 going uphill crossing the Oregon coastal range, not that much elev gain really. I have my display showing trans temp and I looked down after taking my foot off and it was at 220F and climbing! I eased right off the gas and pulled over safely. The analog trans temp gauge was dead center.

This is a new 2017 (dealer put 3.1k miles on it before I bought it), currently at 3.4k). The trans temp seems to sit at 190F when not towing. It's been hot in Oregon all summer but it was probably only 70F when this happened.

I know I should take it to the dealership but I foresee them driving it around and saying oh it's fine. Basically I'm looking for advice on what to do next/how to approach the situation with the dealership etc.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxF150
Coming back from my first trip with the camper there was a brief noise that coincided with putting my foot down on the gas, it sounded like grinding metal, kinda metal hitting a belt sander.

I was doing 60 going uphill crossing the Oregon coastal range, not that much elev gain really. I have my display showing trans temp and I looked down after taking my foot off and it was at 220F and climbing! I eased right off the gas and pulled over safely. The analog trans temp gauge was dead center.

This is a new 2017 (dealer put 3.1k miles on it before I bought it), currently at 3.4k). The trans temp seems to sit at 190F when not towing. It's been hot in Oregon all summer but it was probably only 70F when this happened.

I know I should take it to the dealership but I foresee them driving it around and saying oh it's fine. Basically I'm looking for advice on what to do next/how to approach the situation with the dealership etc.
which engine do u have?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you weren't in Tow/Haul mode, I have noticed an odd noise coming from the transmission when I forgot to engage it (why can't Ford have an option to auto-engage Tow/Haul when towing) and tried to accelerate (gun it) up to highway speed on an on-ramp while towing 7000lbs. It seemed to be hung up in 6th gear and there was a significant clunk from the tranny.
The following users liked this post:
pdxF150 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MagneticScrew
which engine do u have?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by massspike
If you weren't in Tow/Haul mode, I have noticed an odd noise coming from the transmission when I forgot to engage it (why can't Ford have an option to auto-engage Tow/Haul when towing) and tried to accelerate (gun it) up to highway speed on an on-ramp while towing 7000lbs. It seemed to be hung up in 6th gear and there was a significant clunk from the tranny.

Hmm I'm pretty sure I did when I set off but then I stopped for lunch and cannot remember now. It's possible I didn't have it in Tow/Haul.

I was probably pulling no more than 5000lbs, my TT is 3976lbs dry and water/gray/black tanks are always empty when driving.

I have the tow package so I assume I have a transmission cooler
Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

If the torque converter is unlocked while pulling a load up a grade, the temps will spike since pushing the fluid through the vanes heats up the fluid. Locking out the top gears should allow the transmission to lockup the torque converter, and improve cooling.

I had the same issues towing up I 75 in Colorado going up to 11K feet with trans temps soaring, mine hit 230* at one point, then realized why. Once I locked out 5th and 6th, then the temps stayed much lower, right around 210*. My truck did not have a tow package and also had a 3.15 rear end. It still was able to pass just about anything else towing on the stock tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
pdxF150 (09-11-2017), Simnut (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm going to go a different direction and say look at the IWE system. If you have a slight leak in the system and/or a faulty check valve, one or both front hubs will attempt to engage under low vacuum conditions, like pulling a grade with a load.
pdxF150 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Except the transfer case is disengaged so even if the front hubs do engage, there is no power input to them. It will just spin the diff and axle, but have no affect to the transmission. If it were an EB, that noise is normal under a flat out foot on the floor acceleration, but being a 5.0, can't say what it is. It could have just been the rush of the intake too.

I have doubt that the two are related, the trans temps climbing is something I've experienced myself and know the cause, the noise though, too vague a description to go on.
pdxF150 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
If the torque converter is unlocked while pulling a load up a grade, the temps will spike since pushing the fluid through the vanes heats up the fluid. Locking out the top gears should allow the transmission to lockup the torque converter, and improve cooling.

I had the same issues towing up I 75 in Colorado going up to 11K feet with trans temps soaring, mine hit 230* at one point, then realized why. Once I locked out 5th and 6th, then the temps stayed much lower, right around 210*. My truck did not have a tow package and also had a 3.15 rear end. It still was able to pass just about anything else towing on the stock tune.
I'll have to give that a try, though I really don't want to hear that noise again.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
Except the transfer case is disengaged so even if the front hubs do engage, there is no power input to them. It will just spin the diff and axle, but have no affect to the transmission. If it were an EB, that noise is normal under a flat out foot on the floor acceleration, but being a 5.0, can't say what it is. It could have just been the rush of the intake too.

I have doubt that the two are related, the trans temps climbing is something I've experienced myself and know the cause, the noise though, too vague a description to go on.
Yeah I'm not sure what to add, it sounded metallic, pretty much the sound of metal grinding, a high pitched noise. It coincided with my foot on the gas, as I put my foot down the sound occurred, when I took it off it stopped. The sound appeared to be coming from directly below us in the cab.

When I pulled over the first thing I did was look under the truck to see if something was hanging down and scraping on the road, all clear and no signs of fluid leaks. I just let it cool down a bit and didn't experience the issue again, that could be because I never put it under the same load, I dunno.