Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Tongue weights for boats and travel trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Different Tongue weights for boats and travel trailers?

I am a boater and have never towed a travel trailer or trailer with a flat front. I can't remember the last time I saw a boat being trailered in Florida with a weight distributing hitch and some of these boats and trailer rigs come in at 10 – 12,000 pounds. Reading this board has been educational, as I was unaware that it is common practice to use 10% of the trailer's weight for tongue weight for travel trailers. It is my impression that in the boating world, tongue weight is typically set at about 5% of the boat and trailer weight.

I will soon take delivery on 2015 super cab lariat with a heavy duty tow package and eco-boost 3.5 turbo engine. I have been towing my 7700 pound boat and trailer with a 5.3 L Chevy Tahoe with about 370 pounds of tongue weight and I have no sway problems. I got the weights for the trailer and tongue weight by stopping on a DOT weigh station with and without the boat.

It seems that the vast majority of F150 owners towing something in this discussion group, tow travel trailers with very few boaters. For those of you that tow travel trailers and boats, do you use a different percentage of the load for tongue weight?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I would say you are close to right on the weight for boats. My 4k boat as its got about 200 to 250 lbs on the tounge. I have towed boats for 20 plus years and have never seen one much over 5 to 7%. Boats usually sit down in the trailer frame and are better balanced, being less sway prone.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Boats and travel trailers are balanced different. Most boats have the engine either hanging off the stern, or near the stern (i/o) and still have an outdrive hanging off the stern, they have the wheels near the back, and a longer tongue. Plus surge brakes won't work with a WD setup, so they're set up different.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by seaeagle2
Plus surge brakes won't work with a WD setup, so they're set up different.

Baloney. Surge brakes won't work witha cheap WDH, but they work fine with an Equal-I-Zer WDH. Or at least that's what Equal-I-Zer says. If your wet and loaded boat trailer grosses more than 5,000 pounds, or has tongue weight more than 500 pounds, then don't leave home without a WDH.

Originally Posted by Equal-I-zer FAQ

Can the Equal-i-zer be used on a boat trailer?
Yes, the Equal-i-zer hitch works well with many boat trailers. In many cases the Equal-i-zer hitch can be installed just as it would be on any other trailer by following the Equal-i-zer hitch owner's manual, or with some minor adjustments shown in the Pole Tongue Installation Guide. Some trailers require the use of a Pole Tongue Adaptor if there is an obstacle like the tongue jack that might interfere with the spring arms.

If you have looked through these Installation Guides and are still unsure about using the Equal-i-zer hitch with your boat trailer, contact us and our customer service staff will help you get the information you need to decide if an Equal-i-zer hitch is right for towing your boat. We will respond to your email by the end of the next business day.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...i-zer/faqs.php then scroll down to the above question.

Last edited by smokeywren; 08-06-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0GN tow
I would say you are close to right on the weight for boats. My 4k boat as its got about 200 to 250 lbs on the tounge. I have towed boats for 20 plus years and have never seen one much over 5 to 7%. Boats usually sit down in the trailer frame and are better balanced, being less sway prone.
Interesting.

I've always heard 10% minimum tongue weight, no matter what you're towing. Pretty sure that's what's in Ford's towing guide.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I know whats in the guide, but in towing boats for a long time, they usually seem lighter than 10%. Like I said mine is close to 4k on the trailer and is 250 max as I can pick the tounge up to get it on a higher hitch if I have to fairly easy. It's heavy to lift but I have deadlifted 400 lbs and it's nowhere near 400lbs.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Same here I've towed boats my self and they don't have near the tongue weight a travel trailer does, even some of the great big boats my be the trailor design
Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Baloney. Surge brakes won't work witha cheap WDH, but they work fine with an Equal-I-Zer WDH. Or at least that's what Equal-I-Zer says. If your wet and loaded boat trailer grosses more than 5,000 pounds, or has tongue weight more than 500 pounds, then don't leave home without a WDH.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...i-zer/faqs.php then scroll down to the above question.

I have never seen a boat towed with a WDH in Florida and none of my friends use WDH on boats up to 10K. I think the pointy front end of boats makes them less susceptible to sway compared to boxy TT.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I guess I'm different than most towing people on here. I don't tow travel trailers, but everything else I've ever towed (bumper pull) has been a lot lighter than what's recommended. I've always balanced my trailer so that I always have 2-400 lbs of hitch weight. Didn't matter if I was towing 3000 lbs or 13000 lbs. I do have 1/2" chain for my safety chain.

As far as boats, It's always been about the same weight as my other trailers. I've towed a few cabin cruisers and a couple ski boats. The cabin cruisers had the most tongue weight, but they were still light respectively.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is right on target as I look for a new truck. Once a year (maybe twice) I tow a boat/trailer that's about 4000lbs. I don't know the tongue weight. Maybe 250 like the example above. I tow it about 10 miles to the ramp and sometimes I have to launch and pull it out.

My feeling is that I don't need an actual tow package to accomplish this. My current truck has a tow package so it's never come up. But there are two trucks in my area that are great fits but there aren't towing packages.

Am I right that I don't need a tow package to pull a 4000lb boat trailer? The standard Class IV hitch should be fine, right?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Different Tongue weights for boats and travel trailers?