Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake?

Hey everyone, I just bought a new 2014 f-150 fx4 and am wondering if I made a mistake in the choice i made. I bought the fx4 Supercrew version with the 3.55 gears fully loaded with the appearance package. I originally wanted the one with 3.73 gearing cause it had a higher tow rating (9500 vs 7700) but due to a mistake on my part( caught up in the purchase and forgot to ask about the gearing) got one with the 3.55 gears. I was kind of upset that you could not get max tow in the 5.0l(did not want the ecoboost) and think its ridiculous that ford made that decision(most likely to help sell the ecoboost). The truck does have a built in brake controller, select shift transmission and trailer tow package.

Anyways, Just wondering if this truck is going to severely limit the size of trailer i can buy in the future. We do not camp a extreme amount( maybe 3 times a summer) and do not travel far away( 300km at most). Terrain is pretty flat.

The truck has a GVWR of 7350 and a payload of 1310. I only added a tonneau cover as after market so i have a payload of 1200lbs? We are a family of four. Two kids and a big dog.

So what am I safe to look at for a trailer? I know that's a loaded question but id like to get some opinions on it if I can. Am I limited to under 5000# or can I go 6000#. We would like a trailer with double bunks and a queen up front and something no bigger than 26 feet.

For example we were looking at this trailer last year. Due to the fact that we bought this truck instead we will be looking for something used and probably older which means it will most likely weigh more.

http://www.primetimerv.com/default.a...326&series=AIR

Also if anybody has the same truck or something similar can you post what trailer you pull?

I really and I mean really love my new truck and I don't want to regret my purchase so help ease my worries lol

Thanks for reading
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

You should be fine. Watch the payload. The stated empty hitch weight is 495 lbs, so realistic loaded hitch weight will be around 600 or so with a WDH (weight distribution hitch). Add your families weight to that number and anything else in or added to the truck. Keep that number around 600 or so and your fine.
Also at anytime you can alway get the rear axle regeared at 3.73 anytime. It's not hard or expensive to do.
As long as you like the truck, it will work fine.
Regear the rear, throw on LT tires next time you buy tires , get a weight distribution hitch and possibility added super springs (my favorite ) or air bags and your good to go.
I love my 5.0.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Why did you go with the lower power, bar engine knowing you would be towing heavy regardless of gears? You can tow up to your rating. It will just shift more especially with the 5.0 since it makes power in mid and high rpms and not as good down low.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

First of all, regearing a 4x4 is not as easy and cheap as it is to just do the rear on a 4x2.

That trailer will probably be around 6000 wet and loaded - and that's at least a 700 lb tongue weight. Add on a 100 lb WDH and you've got 800 lbs on the hitch.

Subtract that from 1310 and you've got about 500 lbs for the family and any other stuff you want to carry in the cab and bed.

Edited: oops! 1200 after your tonneau, so about 400 for family in the truck!!

The WDH will redistribute some of that tongue weight, but that trailer will put you right at the trucks limits.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 06-18-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
Why did you go with the lower power, bar engine knowing you would be towing heavy regardless of gears? You can tow up to your rating. It will just shift more especially with the 5.0 since it makes power in mid and high rpms and not as good down low.
Because I liked the 5.0l more on a test drive than the eco. Also read that the eco were having a lot of problems (especially in colder temps) so i decided to stick with the 5.0l.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
First of all, regearing a 4x4 is not as easy and cheap as it is to just do the rear on a 4x2.

That trailer will probably be around 6000 wet and loaded - and that's at least a 700 lb tongue weight. Add on a 100 lb WDH and you've got 800 lbs on the hitch.

Subtract that from 1310 and you've got about 500 lbs for the family and any other stuff you want to carry in the cab and bed.

The WDH will redistribute some of that tongue weight, but that trailer will put you right at the trucks limits.

I would not be towing the trailer with tanks full, Other than propane.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

To regear a 4x4 front and back should cost $1000 to $1300 if I remember right. That's not much considering the truck probably cost $35k to $38k.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
To regear a 4x4 front and back should cost $1000 to $1300 if I remember right. That's not much considering the truck probably cost $35k to $38k.
Is re gearing going to make that much difference considering that from all I've read payload has a lot more to do with what you can pull that the Ford suggested towing weights?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Mountain Biking First

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sask

You should be fine. I am right under my limit on my FX2 with my trailer and load capacity. My truck pulls, brakes and drives great while towing

You might think about adding the Roadmaster(www.activesuspension.com) rear spring help to your leaf springs. I have had it on both off my trucks and it makes a huge difference in ride(especially when towing)

I think the Roadmaster is probably the best upgrade for towing you can due to a truck.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome to the world of FORD upselling. As far as the gearing goes there is no real world difference between the 3.55 and the 3.73...none. The 3.73 gear set increases RPM by 100 and this equates to not a pinch of coon **** when comparing horsepower and torque charts between the 2. Your real problem, legally, is the load capacity. That is not to say that the truck will not take another 500 lbs or more above what is rated because it will but legally you are not supposed to.

I have a very similar truck with a very similar problem and I tow a 26' trailer weighing 6000lbs at 70 mph very easily. In all honesty 6000 lbs is way under what this truck will do but according to FORD, it is very close to legal limits. So am I going to upgrade my truck when I move up to a 30' trailer. Nope. But I am going make a few upgrades to make sure that my truck meets or exceeds the specs on trucks equipped with HD tow.

You cannot upgrade the differential or the suspension and assume that your capacities are increased because they are not, at least not legally. All you are really doing, legally, is making what you do have a little safer.

I am with you in that I do not like or trust the eco boost engine and like you I have read many articles about people who are having constant problems with the eco boost and are ready to swear off of FORD because of. The 5.0 is a great engine and at about 10,000 km you will see a jump in performance followed by a second jump at 20,000 km.

Last edited by Boulevard; 06-18-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake?