Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descent on steep grades

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Descent on steep grades

Well, I searched first and didn't find much, so starting this thread to ask how y'all are doing at towing downhill. I'm coming from a 7.3 PS F250 that had plenty of engine braking. Going to a '16 Screw/157WB/3.5/3.55/Max tow, and towing around 7000# of trailer. I'd like to hear of your experiences towing downhill. If you can recall an experience that you felt started pushing the limits, please post here.

Give a brief description of your rig, mainly WB, tow pkg, engine, and approx. load. Trailer length and weight, GRADE, length of grade, and curves.

How did the sway control work? What kind of hitch? Did you boost the trailer braking? Etc.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

2.7 4x4 screw 3.73

towing 7000# 28' travel trailer and traveling all over oregon and 2 trips down to northern California it has performed fine for me downhill.Truck will down shift down to second to control speed. minimal brakes usage on the roads I've traveled. I have cheep WDH with no sway control and never had the truck sway control activate.

I feel the transmission is very intelligent and shifts at all the right times. I set the cruise control and only use the brakes when needed.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

The 3.5EB is a little short on compression braking due to its small displacement. The thing to do is start slow at the top of a hill and gear it down. 2nd is frequently needed and sometimes 1st if it is real steep. I apply the brakes intermittently to keep them from getting too hot. This has all worked fine for me so far. Others have reported some issues with brakes getting too hot. Hard to say how much is the machine and how much is the driver. (Not flaming anyone here.)

You will have significantly less compression braking than you have had.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 08:50 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Ive had our TT loaded at ~6200# coming through Ridway CO to Durango CO. The engine braking is most certainly the weakest link in its ability for towing. I used up a lot of brake that day, this is me coming from a D-max and former 5.4.....
Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 AM

Anyone recall the grade%? I was driving my car down a long 6% grade the other day, and it seemed like the truck would have handled it OK
Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jason_Larsen
2.7 4x4 screw 3.73

towing 7000# 28' travel trailer and traveling all over oregon and 2 trips down to northern California it has performed fine for me downhill.Truck will down shift down to second to control speed. minimal brakes usage on the roads I've traveled. I have cheep WDH with no sway control and never had the truck sway control activate.

I feel the transmission is very intelligent and shifts at all the right times. I set the cruise control and only use the brakes when needed.
Jason, are you talking about Siskiyou Summit? According to Mountain Directory West, that is a 7 mile 6% on each side.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
The 3.5EB is a little short on compression braking due to its small displacement. The thing to do is start slow at the top of a hill and gear it down. 2nd is frequently needed and sometimes 1st if it is real steep. I apply the brakes intermittently to keep them from getting too hot. This has all worked fine for me so far. Others have reported some issues with brakes getting too hot. Hard to say how much is the machine and how much is the driver. (Not flaming anyone here.)
You will have significantly less compression braking than you have had.
Yup, this is good stuff. It takes 2nd gear to get any significant engine braking and then on/off on the brakes to keep from overheating. I have an F350 PS now and a lot more engine braking, but I never considered it a problem when towing my 10K fiver with my 3.5L Ecoboost.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I have not driven I 5 from Medford to weed. Living in Meth Falls I miss that stretch on my trips.

Originally Posted by ColbyL
Jason, are you talking about Siskiyou Summit? According to Mountain Directory West, that is a 7 mile 6% on each side.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Only had a problem on one Appalachian trail, 35mph limit with many 20mph hairpin turns. 2nd gear wasn't good enough to hold it all back, and the brakes started smelling.

Since then I've been using first gear and letting it rev to 4-5K. No brake problems, but don't think it's so good for the tranny.
Velosprout (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

5.0, 3.55, 4x4, SCREW, 6100 lb. TT.

I've done some very steep grades around the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Prescott. No problems at all. With tow/haul going downhill I barely need to use the brakes.
ModelAMike (02-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Descent on steep grades