Dealer saying the payload is a "suggestion" - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.

Dealer saying the payload is a "suggestion"

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Dealer saying the payload is a "suggestion"

We just bought a 2018 F150 4x4 SUPERCREW 3.5L V6 ECOBOOST and before we bought it the dealer told us that it had a payload of 2300 and could tow 11,300. A week later we are getting ready to start our camper search and started the process of figuring out what we could tow. We will have our family of 6 and a 130lb dog in the truck while towing so a large payload is important to us. We checked the door jamb stickers today and were surprised to see the payload is only 1792 and after going down the rabbit hole of hours of "what can I tow" research it seems that we can only practically tow a TT that is 5,200lbs dry.

We reached out to the dealer that sold us it and he is insisting that the payload is merely a "suggestion" and ours is actually 2300.

Am I crazy? or is he?

EDIT: I should add that the GVWR is 7000 and we weighed it tonight with a tank full of gas, it weighed 5200lbs

Last edited by Anna Claire; 02-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Anna Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Near Macomb, Illinois
Posts: 290
Thanked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Default

The dealer is nuts. You can see after you weighed it the 1792 number is pretty close. Throw in 6 people and a dog and you ate up a lot of your payload.

The he numbers are not a suggestion. The truck won’t explode if you go over that number but going over it a lot is asking for trouble. My opinion is anybody towing anything but a small travel trailer should go 3/4 or 1 ton

Last edited by dodgeman1; 02-13-2018 at 11:37 AM.
dodgeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgeman1 For This Useful Post:
Anna Claire (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
clarkbre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 323
Thanked 70 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Anna-

Good on you for doing your homework early! So many don't and go into RV ownership totally uneducated. You've provided us some good numbers so far.

I would trust the numbers listed on the door stickers of your truck long before I would ever even listen to the sales department. For your family's safety and piece of mind, stick at or under the numbers that are and will be calculated.

Based on your numbers given:

GVWR = 7000
Actual scaled weight of the truck = 5200

GVWR minus the scale weight = 1800.....AKA: available payload.

One follow up question regarding you weighing the truck, was anyone or thing in it while being weighed? If you a child, spouse, dog, groceries, etc. were in it, deduct that weight and add that to your actual, usable payload.

So, with the information that you've provided here is a general calculation of about how much a reasonable trailer ready to tow will weigh for you.

Payload - family weight - dog - weight distribution hitch - misc. cargo = Reasonable tongue weight for the truck.

Reasonable tongue weight for the truck / .13 = Maximum loaded, ready to travel trailer weight.

Let's put these in numbers:
1800 - 800 - 130 - 100 - 50 = 720

720 / .13 = 5538 loaded trailer weight.

Also, download this Weight Distribution Spreadsheet to help you figure out what size trailer you can take.
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clarkbre For This Useful Post:
Anna Claire (02-12-2018), Ricktwuhk (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Anna-

Good on you for doing your homework early! So many don't and go into RV ownership totally uneducated. You've provided us some good numbers so far.

I would trust the numbers listed on the door stickers of your truck long before I would ever even listen to the sales department. For your family's safety and piece of mind, stick at or under the numbers that are and will be calculated.

Based on your numbers given:

GVWR = 7000
Actual scaled weight of the truck = 5200

GVWR minus the scale weight = 1800.....AKA: available payload.

One follow up question regarding you weighing the truck, was anyone or thing in it while being weighed? If you a child, spouse, dog, groceries, etc. were in it, deduct that weight and add that to your actual, usable payload.

So, with the information that you've provided here is a general calculation of about how much a reasonable trailer ready to tow will weigh for you.

Payload - family weight - dog - weight distribution hitch - misc. cargo = Reasonable tongue weight for the truck.

Reasonable tongue weight for the truck / .13 = Maximum loaded, ready to travel trailer weight.

Let's put these in numbers:
1800 - 800 - 130 - 100 - 50 = 720

720 / .13 = 5538 loaded trailer weight.

Also, download this Weight Distribution Spreadsheet to help you figure out what size trailer you can take.

Thank you so much for your response! No one was in the car at all. We kicked around the idea of loading it with the whole family, four car seats (our kids are all young) and dog just to see how much the truck plus us weighed but decided to go with the empty weight instead. I even made my husband take out his headphones so as not to throw off the weight ha!

I am not opposed to a smaller trailer or an ultralite but my fear now is that as our family gets older and we have four teenagers (did I mention they are very closely aged?) we will not have the option to upgrade our trailer without upgrading the truck. Of course we now have buyers remorse and wish we would have maybe gone for a 250. The Army is sending us to Alaska for the next three years so just to make things a little more fun we need a four seasons trailer as well. The low payload and towing capacity are scaring me!
Anna Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman1 View Post
The dealer is nuts. You can see after you weighed it the 1792 number is pretty close. Throw in 6 people and a dog and you ate up a lot of your payload.

The he numbers are not a suggestion. The truck wonít explode if you go over that number but going over it a lot is asking for trouble. My opinion is anybody towing anything but a small travel trailer should go 3/4 or q ton
Thank you for validating my thoughts! Although I have read a million different people say this, the dealer still made me question myself. I wish they A. knew what they were talking about or B. Didn't pretend they knew what they were talking about.
Anna Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Senile member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL area
Posts: 1,451
Thanked 258 Times in 196 Posts
Default

The speed limit is a suggestion too....because you can exceed it. But, you could get a ticket.
1700lb payload is pretty good honestly.
chimmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 734
Thanked 95 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Claire View Post
We reached out to the dealer that sold us it and he is insisting that the payload is merely a "suggestion" and ours is actually 2300.

Am I crazy? or is he?

EDIT: I should add that the GVWR is 7000 and we weighed it tonight with a tank full of gas, it weighed 5200lbs
Like most salesman, he seems to have pretty much zero technical knowledge about the trucks he is selling.

Does the 5200# scale weight include any drivers or passengers, or just the truck? With a family of 6, I would load everyone up (including the dog) and weigh it again. Then consider some headroom too allow for growing family members (especially if you have some little ones.)
jp360cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Near Macomb, Illinois
Posts: 290
Thanked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Watch out for the same thing from RV dealers. They will tell you there 40' 5th wheel trailer will tow just fine behind your Honda Civic.

Last edited by dodgeman1; 02-13-2018 at 01:28 PM.
dodgeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgeman1 For This Useful Post:
Ricktwuhk (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 268
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Have your dealer put that in writing for you, lol
Sawdust102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 229
Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

The GVWR which contains payload is a limit not a suggestion.
8100hd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8100hd For This Useful Post:
chimmike (02-13-2018)
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.7 payload +trailer tow vs 3.5 HD payload+max payload. Ddurham Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing 15 03-26-2017 09:56 PM
Order Times HD Payload vs Reg Payload pilotamis 2015 - Present Ford F150 2 03-30-2016 12:03 AM
2.7L EcoBoost Payload Package: Let's see your payload door stickers Mach5 2015 - Present Ford F150 10 07-16-2015 07:07 PM
Problem at dealer - can't believe their finding and suggestion! Thoughts? Damn Dirty Ape 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 45 11-16-2013 11:12 AM
Dealer to Dealer sale OR Drive to Org Dealer RocketEngineer 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 20 08-24-2011 02:42 PM


Tags
dealer, ecoboost, payload, suggestion, supercrew

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Copyright © 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: