Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting 4 pin trailer to 7 pin

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converting 4 pin trailer to 7 pin

I just picked up a new 14' tav trailer that has a 4 pin flat plug on it. Can I switch it over to a 7 pin using only the 4 wires and still have the truck recognize the trailer? I use the 3 click turn signal feature all the time (or 6 click w/ my travel trailer). I would like to do the same with the tav trailer. The trailer does not have brakes, so I am not sure if the truck will recognize the tav trailer w/7 pin.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

So the 14' trailer doesn't have electric brakes? Not sure why you would want to convert to 7-pin if not...

The need for 7-pin usually aligns with electric trailer brakes. x1 pin for 12v brake signal to control the brakes, x1 pin for 12v switched/accessory power to charge the break-away battery, and x1 pin for backup lights (not related to brakes obviously).

Last edited by xcntrk; 08-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The turn signal feature will work the same with any trailer but the truck will not produce "trailer connected" or "trailer disconnected" messages unless the trailer in question has electric brakes. I personally prefer the 7 way RV plug to the flat 4 connecter and have them on everything but my little ATV trailer, and its going to get converted one of these days. The flat 4 pins always seem to get bent, oxidized or packed with crud. Especially the ones that just hang under the truck. I used to use a round 4 connecter (with a socket mounted in the bumper) on my smaller trailers but they never caught on and no standard pin configuration ever existed so I abandoned them.

Last edited by PerryB; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Trailer Connector Adapters

See a buncha Connectors/Adapters here...

Trailer Connector Adapters @ 'Autozone'

I've verified that this standard 'Bargman' Pinout below is what's on my new F-150. I've been towing for Decades, and it's taken some time for 7 Pin Connections to standardize. Ford uses center Pin 7 to energize a Trailer Back-up Light. I've also seen that Pin used to charge the Trailer 'House' Battery while driving. That said, be sure to verify what you actually have using a Voltmeter or Test Light. I've been burned by guessing...

Note that the indexing slot straight up at '12 o'clock' in this Image is turned 90 degrees right to '3 o'clock' below the Ford Rear Bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Converting 4 pin trailer to 7 pin-bargman-7-pin-connector.jpg  

Last edited by Engineer Guy; 08-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Truck will not recognize trailer with 7 pin connector if it doesn't have brakes. The easiest thing to do is to buy a 7 blade (truck side) to 4 pin (trailer side) adapter for less than $8.00 on Amazon. Here is the part:
Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter"><span style=Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter" /> Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter">Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter
by Reese

Quick Reply: Converting 4 pin trailer to 7 pin