Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on towing (I'm new...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Confused on towing (I'm new...)

Hey everyone, I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out what I'm able to tow. I've read through just about everything here (and other places), and I've used towing calculators as well - and I'm still not confident with what I can tow. Hopefully someone here can help me out. By the way, this is the first truck I've owned, and it wasn't until AFTER I bought it that my wife wanted a travel trailer... so....

I'm not sure if there is any additional information that is needed to figure this out. Every time I *think* I have it figured out, I read something else that contradicts it. I would appreciate any help here. Thanks!

My truck:
2018 F150 5.0 v8
3.73 Diff / 145 WB
SuperCrew 5 1/2 ft Bed
Planning on using a distribution hitch

I'd like to tow this travel trailer:
https://www.apachecamper.com/rv/2019...IGHT-SLX-298BH

Old 01-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is fairly comparable to my tt. I have a 2013 cougar xlite 28rbs which come in at just over 32' and about 7200 lbs loaded. I tow with a 2016 5.0 sport. I have the 3.31 rear and have no issues towing that trailer with my truck. I use the equalizer wdh and am quite happy with it.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

If you're payload sticker is even close to accurate, the truck can handle it that's not an issue IMO.
Remember adding aftermarket items affects payload. Tonneau covers, bed liners, toolboxes etc. It all adds up.

You should scale your truck to be sure what your numbers are.

Start by loading your truck with everything you expect to be on/in the truck while towing generator, passengers, firewood, tools, toys whatever.
Go to a scale and get the loaded weight.
GVWR - Loaded Weight (Curb Weight) = available payload
7000 - loaded scale ticket = available payload.

The below numbers are approximations actual weights would need to be confirmed
1700 payload
-100 for Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) = 1600
-813 for 13 percent of Trailer GVWR for tongue weight (6250*0 The GVWR from the web page yoou linked to).13 = 812.5) (13 percent is pretty much agreed as the ideal tongue weight for travel trailer.) Actual tongue weight will vary based on cargo load, balance and driver preference based on handling characteristics.
It's an art not a science, every combination of driver, tow vehicle and trailer has unique characteristics. what works for one driver may be terrible for another and so on.
This leaves you with approximately 750 pounds remaining for you, family, friends, pets, camping gear and anything else in the truck. for some very doable, for others, not gonna happen.

The numbers really aren't that hard. Just remember lowest rating is the decider. For 1/2 ton pickups it is almost always payload that becomes the decider.
813 is well under the rating on the hitch if using a WDH so that's not your decider.
You have not provided whether or not you have any tow package or which tow package you may have. (These will affect "Tow Rating"/GCWR) I believe though that the trailer you mentioned is well under the GCWR based on your hitch sticker and rear end gearing but just a guess.

That leaves axle rating and payload. The way these trucks are designed you will most likely exceed payload before you hit rAWR especially if using a WDH.

So the decider will be payload - expected cargo load in the truck + Tongue weight on trailer.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Previous response is pretty much right on.

"his leaves you with approximately 750 pounds remaining for you, family, friends, pets, camping gear and anything else in the truck. for some very doable, for others, not gonna happen."

So if you weigh 250, your wife weighs 150, and you have two grown high school football players, one a lineman at 225, and a big german shepherd,...
Old 01-29-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Previous response is pretty much right on.

"his leaves you with approximately 750 pounds remaining for you, family, friends, pets, camping gear and anything else in the truck. for some very doable, for others, not gonna happen."

So if you weigh 250, your wife weighs 150, and you have two grown high school football players, one a lineman at 225, and a big german shepherd,...
Or just feel the need to bring 250 pounds of tools and an additional 50 gallons of water.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

What Terry said in post #3 is right on and I won't elaborate on it.

I do find it encouraging that there have been a couple recent thread starters asking about payload and weight rating PRIOR to purchasing their trailers. People thinking and planning ahead for safe travels is good.

As far as the OP's F150...1774 lbs is a very good payload rating and the truck should generally not have a problem handling a trailer that's under about 7k GVW.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-09-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

The truck should handle the TT fine, but with a length of just under 32', watch for those cross winds and such, it's a big sail tugging on the truck.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never asked this before, but wouldn't it make sense to load the tools, camping gear, etc into the trailer so you can get more out of the payload number? If it's just people and basics in the truck, that would seem to make more sense. If it's in the truck, it's a direct hit to payload, but if it's in the trailer, it's only a percentage hit to payload. Is that right?

I'm looking to buy a very small camping trailer later this summer and I'm starting to look at this kind of stuff....
Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

It will depend upon where the cargo is loaded in the trailer. If some can be put behind the trailer axles it can reduce the tongue weight. Adding too much weight behind the axle can actually make towing worse. If it is in front of the axles it will add to the tongue weight. You need to keep in mind most trailers tow better with 13 - 15 percent of the trailer weight on the tongue so it becomes a real balancing act but can be done.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by apenland01
I've never asked this before, but wouldn't it make sense to load the tools, camping gear, etc into the trailer so you can get more out of the payload number? If it's just people and basics in the truck, that would seem to make more sense. If it's in the truck, it's a direct hit to payload, but if it's in the trailer, it's only a percentage hit to payload. Is that right?

I'm looking to buy a very small camping trailer later this summer and I'm starting to look at this kind of stuff....
It is very situation dependent. Just look in any campground as people arrive. I have seen some crazy load outs arriving in campgrounds, some downright scary. Like lifted 3/4 ton trucks hauling a 10K trailer with Motorcycles or a Golf Cart in the bed for example. Riding the bumpstops and struggling with getting over a speedbump or a similar lifted 3/4 ton hauling the triple axle toy hauler! But "It's a diesel so it can pull anything" right!?

Some people use their work truck which may in fact have a large toolbox full of tools. Myself I keep certain tools in the Truck at all times, ratchet straps, extra bottle jack, ratchet set, wrenches, screwdrivers, jumper cables, Torque wrench for lug nuts and my Andersen Hitch, etc. These are always in the truck and I don't relocate them for camping I want them with the truck.

If I'm dry camping , I put my generator and extra fuel in the bed of my truck (I don't want the Gas in my trailer). If I'm bringing extra firewood I'll often put it in the bed of the truck as well it's just easier to deal with at the campsite that way.

All things to consider.

Quick Reply: Confused on towing (I'm new...)