Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carry-On Cargo Trailer. A good brand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Carry-On Cargo Trailer. A good brand?

Looking at a Carry-On brand 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer. Seems to be among the more common brand in New England among others. Did see one video on Youtube showing really crappy welding on a small utility model. I'm primarily going to use it for storing, light to medium duty hauling. Might use it a half dozen times a year.

Any pros or cons, anyone have any experience with Carry-On?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carry on cargo trailers

They are not a bad trailer for what you are using it for but if you were gonna use it everyday for work I would look at a care mate
Old 11-27-2016, 10:32 AM

Default Carry on trailer

Sorry phone changes my spelling Carmate trailer
Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Those are cheap "Economy" cargo trailers. Here's a 7x14 with 7k GVWR:
https://www.carry-ontrailer.com/carg...r/7x14cgrecbn/

Note the 14" tires and wheels with no options to get tires with more weight capacity.

Car Mate trailers are also sold in New England. They have HD 7x14 cargo trailers with standard 7,000 pounds GVWR, but can be ordered with optional 15 in. load range D tires. They can also be ordered with 6,000 lb. tandem axles which results in GVWR 12,000 pounds.

http://www.carmate-trailers.com/new_...=2359&DispType=

Car Mate 7 x 14 HD Custom Cargo trailers also have Dexter Torflex axles with E-Z lube hubs instead of leaf springs.

I own a Car Mate 7 x 14 HD Custom Cargo trailer with TorFlex axles and have towed it thousands of miles, loaded and unloaded. They're not sold here, but I bought it used from a GI that used it for a DIY move from an Army post "back east" to Fort Hood.

The Car Mate 7 x 14 HD Custom Cargo will probably be a lot more expensive than a Carry-On 7x14, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-27-2016 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shortstuff (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Those are cheap "Economy" cargo trailers. Here's a 7x14 with 7k GVWR:
https://www.carry-ontrailer.com/carg...r/7x14cgrecbn/

Note the 14" tires and wheels with no options to get tires with more weight capacity.

Car Mate trailers are also sold in New England. They have HD 7x14 cargo trailers with standard 7,000 pounds GVWR, but can be ordered with optional 15 in. load range D tires. They can also be ordered with 6,000 lb. tandem axles which results in GVWR 12,000 pounds.

http://www.carmate-trailers.com/new_...=2359&DispType=

Car Mate 7 x 14 HD Custom Cargo trailers also have Dexter Torflex axles with E-Z lube hubs instead of leaf springs.

I own a Car Mate 7 x 14 HD Custom Cargo trailer with TorFlex axles and have towed it thousands of miles, loaded and unloaded. They're not sold here, but I bought it used from a GI that used it for a DIY move from an Army post "back east" to Fort Hood.

The Car Mate 7 x 14 HD Custom Cargo will probably be a lot more expensive than a Carry-On 7x14, but you get what you pay for.
I agree with you that the Carry-On is an economy trailer and would probably be enough for my limited use. The 7X14CG I'm looking at does come with the 205x15" wheels.

If I could find a comparable 7x14' Car Mate I would get one but I can't find one anywhere near me, at least not within a hundred miles of me in south central Mass.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Car Mate trailer dealer in Southbridge, Mass.

http://www.knightcycles.com
Shortstuff (11-27-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortstuff
If I could find a comparable 7x14' Car Mate I would get one but I can't find one anywhere near me, at least not within a hundred miles of me in south central Mass.

Here's a used 2015 just around the corner from you, at the dealer that atwowheelguy mentioned.

http://www.knightcycles.com/2015_CAR..._254845746.veh
Old 11-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Here's a used 2015 just around the corner from you, at the dealer that atwowheelguy mentioned.

http://www.knightcycles.com/2015_CAR..._254845746.veh
I called them about that exact trailer this morning and it is a V-nose and has a ramp on the rear. Neither option I was looking for.

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a carry-on open utility trailer, I believe with at least 15" wheels, that I have pulled thousands of miles back and forth up and down the east coast taking and picking up my daughter from college, loaded with furniture and all sorts of other trips, local and long distance with different things, never had an issue and I am extremely particular with my stuff. I saw the reviews about the welds, and I'm guessing that guy was fired before mine and all the others that I looked at were built. I went over that thing real well before and even better after I bought it, and couldn't find a single issue. That trailer is as solid as any other manufacturer that I looked at, and even has the same axles. And quite honestly, being a heavy haul truck driver I see all kinds of little trailers all shapes, sizes and brands going down the road with bent axles, twisted like a pretzel, going 80 down the interstate, CLEARLY way overloaded several times, and somehow make it to where they're going lol. My opinion, use your judgement on quality and price, and how much use you will get out of it. My thought was that I'll try it and if I don't like it, I'll sell it and upgrade, but I was surprised and can't justify upgrading yet...and that comes after thousands of miles/trips later.
Shortstuff (12-09-2016)
Old 11-02-2023, 09:16 AM

I bought one of these trailers and 2 welds on it broke loose the first time using it 2 weeks later loading my Mule Pro MX. The welds were small and defective. I opened a warranty claim with Carry-On. They denied it saying I overloaded the ramp and the allowable weight for loading was half the trailer capacity so 1046 pounds….obvious nonsense. So you’re buying a trailer that holds over a ton and can only load ˝ ton? They could not produce any documentation that stated that when asked. They lied to me and then tortured me for a week after their arbitrary denial for a simple repair of defective workmanship. Research the complaints on the web across the nation and you’ll realize it doesn’t matter what the problem is. They blame shift, dodge and lie. They will not honor their warranty