Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bristle cone - white mountains - can I get TT up there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Bristle cone - white mountains - can I get TT up there?

Plan on a trip in a couple of months to the Bristle Cone Pines area of the California White Mountains.

Has anyone towed a TT up there? I'm not concerned about the EcoBoost's power nor the truck brakes. I'm more concerned on whether the roads are navigable with a 21' trailer.

I plan on a recon trip this Saturday, but thought I'd ask before I go.

This would be a trial by fire. I've never towed a TT before. I've towed smaller stuff, but not a TT.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelInCalifornia
Plan on a trip in a couple of months to the Bristle Cone Pines area of the California White Mountains.

Has anyone towed a TT up there? I'm not concerned about the EcoBoost's power nor the truck brakes. I'm more concerned on whether the roads are navigable with a 21' trailer.

I plan on a recon trip this Saturday, but thought I'd ask before I go.

This would be a trial by fire. I've never towed a TT before. I've towed smaller stuff, but not a TT.
I've been there (the Bristle Cone Pines area of the California White Mountains) a couple of times.

I would never pull a TT up there. But, I wouldn't want to sleep at that elevation anyway. For sure, don't pull TT up dirt roads that access that area.

Beautiful area. Have fun. Let us know if you drive the TT up there.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Look at the photos. Looks like most is paved. I've pulled a 25 foot trailer up MUCH worse. Go for it.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it. I drove my F150 supercrew to the top without my trailer. The road is very twisty and very low speed. My truck shifted down to second gear in many places and first gear in a few without the trailer. I averaged 10 miles a hour for the last long stretch without the trailer. It is a beautiful place and the ancient trees are incredible. Drop your trailer at a gas station on 395. It will take well over an hour from 395 to the top.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:21 PM

I'm doing a recon trip tomorrow and will decide after that. It only two hours from my house and the wife and the rest of the relatives are doing other things, so a day to my self will be kinda nice.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you turn off 395, the drive to the top will take you three times as long as you think it will.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Been a long time, did it on my motorcycle and the last 12 miles or so was a rutted out jeep trail. I barely made it up and back on my big touring motorcycle. No way I would pull a trailer up that trail.

Hopefully its better now, but I would count on dropping the trailer off first if it is still a jeep trail.

Note, I went to Patriarch Grove. If you stop earlier, the road is paved.

Would love to hear a report back on your recon trip!
Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 AM

I made it up and back. I'll make a longer post over the weekend.

They brought the logs up for the log welcome center in 40 ft flatbeds. I can get the trailer all the way to Grandview without difficulty.

Finding a campsite and getting the trailer in it? More problematic and I'm not sure I'm up to the task.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelInCalifornia
I made it up and back. I'll make a longer post over the weekend.

They brought the logs up for the log welcome center in 40 ft flatbeds. I can get the trailer all the way to Grandview without difficulty.

Finding a campsite and getting the trailer in it? More problematic and I'm not sure I'm up to the task.
Yes, the campgrounds in the remote places can be problematic for backing etc.

Quick Reply: Bristle cone - white mountains - can I get TT up there?