Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal modulation when towing a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal modulation when towing a trailer

I have a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost twin turbo engine, 6-speed transmission, heavy duty tow package with integrated trailer brake control and 110,000 miles. We tow a loaded 24 foot long, 7000 pound travel trailer which is 11 feet in height.

We have noticed, only when towing the trailer, that the truck vibrates when when we stop using the truck and trailer brakes. The trailer brake control gain is set a 5.0. The vibration is not evident in the steering wheel but we can feel it in the brake pedal only when the trailer is being towed. When not towing the trailer we don't feel any thing like this. The brake pads and rotors are fairly new and all the rotor surfaces look 'shiny".

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why we are experiencing this?

Thanks.
Frank
Old 03-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Just curious, was the integrated brake controller set up based on the Ford owners manual?
You could be getting vibrations from the rotors though that seems unusual as it only happens when towing versus daily driving.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit that the brake controller was not set up based on the recommendations in the Ford Owner's Manual as I did not know there were any recommendations. I'll have to look closer. The trailer brake controller was set up by the tech at the trailer shop where I bought the trailer based on setting the controller just short of locking up the trailer brakes when stopping.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

First time I towed a trailer with brakes I thought for a short time that I had vibration, but it was actually engine braking. Maybe? Assuming you are sure that trailer wheels aren't locking under heavy braking?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Have you tried slowing with just the trailer brakes? If you have a warped drum, that can cause what you feel. This gen truck is very susceptible to vibrations felt. I towed a small flatbed with an improperly torqued wheel and it shook the crap out of the truck at 60 MPH.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal modulation when towing a trailer