Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake controller question (Factory)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake controller question (Factory)

Hello all,
2016 F150 3.7 Eco Boost and a 2018 Forest River 22RR camper. First time towing with both units, was in tow haul mode. Had the gain set at 10 and still didn't seem to slow the truck down. It work fine manually. Tranny down shifting seem to be slowing the truck down which seemed to be abusive on the engine and tranny. Is this normal? Also this was at normal braking. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

When you brake, does a Gain level indicator pop-up on the dashboard display?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I assume you followed the instruction in the manual on setting the gain? If not, take a look. You will need to find a quiet and flat road. Start with a mid gain of around 5. Take the truck/trailer up to around 20 - 24 MPH then manually apply the trailer brakes all the way. The first time I applied slowly. If the trailer brakes lock up, reduce the gain. If they don't lock, increase the gain. Basically you want the gain to the point of just below locking the trailer brakes during this process. Once I had mine set, the trailer brakes would stop the truck without using the truck brakes.

Once you have that set, select your display to show you trailer info. This should include a real time display of the trailer brake pressure being applied. The harder you press the brake pedal, the more trailer brake that is applied.

Similar to you, I do notice then when just lightly applying the truck brake the trailer brake display is only indicating light trailer brake pressure being applied. That being said, the trailer brakes are not intended to slow the truck, only to assist in slowing the trailer.

Last edited by mountaintruck; 05-31-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by mountaintruck:
Ricktwuhk (05-31-2017), smithmx47 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd start by addressing this with your TT dealer. I'm in the process of trying to escalate above the service advisor a similar condition with my ~6k dry 27' TT. I can't get any noticeable effect by increasing gain.

The proper gain setting is usually found by travelling ~20 mph then stop using only the trailer brakes by squeezing the controller until the TT brakes lock, then back down the gain setting slightly to a point just below lockup. A gain setting of 6-8 is probably a good place to end up for normal towing conditions. I noticed the F-150 also has 3 settings for gain intensity effect but I haven't been able to test these because my TT brakes aren't working properly.

My initial setup 3 years ago on a Jeep Commander with my current TT was perfect - cranking up the gain could manually lock the trailer brakes and it would throw me forward in the seat. Something has since changed and it now takes me ~15 seconds to come to a stop from 20 mph using only the brake controller @ max gain. It is nowhere near enough trailer braking despite my TT service advisor's insistence that it's working properly. He's an idiot

Last edited by altarocks; 05-31-2017 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smithmx47 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. The only time the gain level shows on the dash is when I manually do it,not when the brake pedal is applied. Is it suppose to? I guess I will have to break guy code and read the manual....
Old 05-31-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Between the truck and the trailer you spent what - $80,000? More? Yeah, you might want to read the manuals on how to operate both safely...

Originally Posted by mountaintruck
I assume you followed the instruction in the manual on setting the gain? If not, take a look. You will need to find a quiet and flat road. Start with a mid gain of around 5. Take the truck/trailer up to around 20 - 24 MPH then manually apply the trailer breaks all the way. The first time I applied slowly. If the trailer breaks lock up, reduce the gain. If they don't lock, increase the gain. Basically you want the gain to the point of just below locking the trailer breaks during this process. Once I had mine set, the trailer breaks would stop the truck without using the truck breaks.

Once you have that set, select your display to show you trailer info. This should include a real time display of the trailer break pressure being applied. The harder you press the break pedal, the more trailer break that is applied.

Similar to you, I do notice then when just lightly applying the truck break the trailer break display is only indicating light trailer break pressure being applied. That being said, the trailer breaks are not intended to slow the truck, only to assist in slowing the trailer.
This ^^^ 5 Stars! Well, 4.5 stars, would have been 5 stars if it said brakes, not breaks... LOL Good stuff!
Old 05-31-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

This ^^^ 5 Stars! Well, 4.5 stars, would have been 5 stars if it said brakes, not breaks... LOL Good stuff!
C'mon.. Give me a Brake... I mean Break... I mean....
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake controller

I have a 2106 F150 and tow a 5300 DW trailer and I have my brake controller set at 5.5 and it works fine, if your TT is not pushing your truck then the controller is working. You do not need to set your controller much higher than 5, If you do you will wear out your trailer brakes long before you should. Use the truck brakes and watch the gain gauge and you should be fine. Also pull the pin on your breakaway and look at the contact and make sure it is clean and if not lubricate it. Test your breakaway by pulling the pin and see if your trailer will move hopefully it will not. Last two items have nothing to do with controller just thought i would throw them in.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Between the truck and the trailer you spent what - $80,000? More? Yeah, you might want to read the manuals on how to operate both safely...

Did Tweety & Sylvester teach you how to spell twuhk??
Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM

OK so... I red the manual. seems like it's mostly for the loaded trucks,(don't have sync 3 or back camera) Plugged the TT in. Did not tow it yet. All my display has is the low,med and high brake settings (well the sway and electric or elec over Hyd. Don't have elec/hyd ). .What setting do you guys use,seems to default to low. Also don't have a setting to name a trailer. Thanks.