Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ox Hitch snapped

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blue Ox Hitch snapped

Just pulling into the RV park crawling over a speed bump the hitch scraped the bump and snapped on the receiver shaft. It appears to be made out of cast or pot-metal of some type.

I dont trust Blue OX anymore, what replacement receiver hitch can I get to replace it?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Is that a 10 or 12 inch drop...i bought a different brand at 12 inch drop and ended cutting about 2-3 inches off the bottom to keep from hitting...
ox may come good and cover it as a defect..
mines a husky- reese/hidden hitch copy..
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

I would think anything with 1 1/4" spacing would work. I think Reese had a drop shank that would do the trick for you, but I am on my phone so can't verify that. I know I was looking at something else since the identical shank that you have (and I needed) was backordered with no ETA.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
I would think anything with 1 1/4" spacing would work. I think Reese had a drop shank that would do the trick for you, but I am on my phone so can't verify that. I know I was looking at something else since the identical shank that you have (and I needed) was backordered with no ETA.
Yeah, Reese makes some nice 1 piece drop shanks including their Titan V class.
http://www.reese-hitches.com/categor...ing_Shanks,107

So just for the record, was your trailer hooked up or just the shank sticking out of the hitch receiver? IMHO you should be able to lift your entire truck by the end of that shank. Even the Class-III shanks are rated above 10k pounds and your truck only weighs 6k. For it to break simply dragging on the ground is mind numbing!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM

it was connected to the trailer It does lift the truck off the ground, I should say"did".
Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

if it was hitting the ground their is a big difference in static load hauling the trailer. and the shock load when it hit the speed bump. take the weight of your truck and trailer and double it even if you were going slow
Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

That break still looks like cast steel vs rolled.
At least the gusset kept the welds from breaking
Old 08-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by frieed
That break still looks like cast steel vs rolled.
At least the gusset kept the welds from breaking
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of good that huge gusset does when the actual 2" think bar breaks instead!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Blue Ox is fairly well known for tank-tough products. I really believe you had a defect and I wouldn't walk away unless they don't step up to the plate and replace it. I have the same shank only in the 12" x 9 hole and it is SOLID. This is my second Blue Ox hitch and I am really happy with the overall quality. I can't say any other shank would have faired any better with that type of shock load and prying caused by that speed bump. Is there a reason you have one that long? I have one because the trailer is low slung and doesn't compress the coils on my Ram enough to level it- but I still have a good 6-8 inches of clearancs hooked up.

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 08-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM

I sent them the pics today the lady said it should not have failed, she had me get the serial number for her. She is sending a new shank. I see no reason it needs to be that low, my trailer lift sits about two inches higher than the drop on the hitch, she will send me a shorter one. I still don't know if I am comfortable with a cast shank, don't ya think steel would be better?.

Quick Reply: Blue Ox Hitch snapped