Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind spot with K-Source mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Blind spot with K-Source mirrors

Just completed our first serious tow with the K-Source mirror extensions on my 2016 Lariat (w/ BLIS). I left the standard mirrors in their normal position (where I can just see the edge of the vehicle), set the extension mirror to just see down the edge of the TT, and since I was towing the BLIS was disabled automatically.

When being passed, vehicles not only disappear in the B pillar blind spot but between the 2 mirrors: see it approaching the TT >> gone >> see it approaching the truck >> gone >> see it next in peripheral vision. I tried adjusting the truck mirror but to no avail other than making the truck's blind spot worse. It was a bit disturbing but I got used to extra vigilant shoulder checking (which kind of makes the extensions redundant).

I did not have this problem with my 2010 and the slide-on extensions (forgot the brand name) so I am thinking that the K-Source mirror is too small to give the wider field of view you need. Combine that with the newer F150's over-sized blind spot (and why they all come with BLIS or fish-eyes) and you have a potential problem.

Maybe Ford should consider programming the BLIS so when towing instead of turning it off it should ignore the space where the TT is.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What are you towing? I just returned from an 1800mi trip towing a 8' wide travel trailer and I just used the stock non-towing mirrors..

I didn't have any blind spots (beside me). My mirrors are adjusted so that I can see down the lane next to me. To see the edge of the truck, I have to lean a bit.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by charles_slc
What are you towing?
Its an 8 footer (24 ft long). I towed it last year without the extensions (they weren't available). Yes you can turn/move your head but that also means taking your eyes away from where your going for longer than I want. I don't tow enough to justify the power towing mirrors.

What I want them to do is give me an idea what is behind me -- which they do unless people are stupid enough to drive up to the backside of the TT.

What I didn't want is another blind spot that requires me to turn/move my head the same as if I hadn't bought/installed them.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by charles_slc
I just returned from an 1800mi trip towing a 8' wide travel trailer and I just used the stock non-towing mirrors..
You appear to have a 2014 and as per my post this is more an issue with the 2015+ models with BLIS. When I test drove 2016's the fish-eye lens looked like it was going to work nicely (didn't have trailer hooked up though) but I ended up with BLIS.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The ones you had before were probably **** slide on mirrors, and I have a set for my old dearly departed 2014. I towed a 28' Coleman with them and had no apparent blind spots, they did rather well.

I now have a 2016 and bought the K Source snap ons, which were delayed for well over a month and while waiting ordered a set of **** slide ons that were very inexpensive since they were returns, paid $38 shipped for them, came in two days, and wouldn't you know it, the K Source shipped on the same day I got the other mirrors, two weeks prior to when I was told they would ship.

So I have both types and will see which ones have a better field of view. I got the K Source because they have a taller mirror, but I do believe the **** actually has a wider mirror, so kit may actually be the better of the two.