Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bicycles in the truckbed

Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 AM
The Man from Belgium

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bicycles in the truckbed

I'm shopping for a new means of transportation. Problem is, on occasion, such as on holidays, I need to transport 2 bikes.

The way I do itnow is this : there's a kind of rail mounted inside the vehicle. I take out the front wheel of the bicycle, and attach the front fork to the ral. This leaves the bikes secured in an upright position (sans front wheel) and I can moad more stuff in between them.

Thing is : it's an SUV, a Land Cruiser if you must know, with only 23 seats. The rest is cargo space. So this leaves the bikes INSIDE the vehicle, sefely secured from greedy fingers.

I'd like to replace the Toy with another truck. Now, I COULD conceivably put a hardtop on the load bed and be done with it. Problem with that : it is bigly FUG-LY.
Second solution. Secure them in the bed the same way I do it now, and throw a tarp over it. Problem : Tarps flap in the wind, get unstuck, and occasionally choose their freedom over a life of indentured service.

So I'm looking towards you good folks to hear if there are alternatives.

For you who were about to suggest a cargo bag (which I think I kinda like) the height of a front-wheel-less bike is in the region of 40" high.

Suggestions welcomed ! Pete
Old 01-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Pretty sure they make locks for fork mounts. (or you could run a lock cable through the tie-downs and through the frames.)

If weather is an issue, they do make canvas toppers, not sure how easy they are to install/remove though or how frequently you would need to do so.

There are probably other options but everything else I found would require you to take the bike apart (travel cases). Those might allow you to lay the bikes down in the bed under a tonneau or fit them in the back seat of a SCrew though.

Guess its one reason I like my 25yr old bike that I'm not too worried if something happens to it. Sure it cost me $800 new but I can get a similar replacement for less than half of that now (same brand, a model lower is now lighter and all around just as good, funny how that works).
Old 01-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a carrier that I had for my 4 Runner. It mounts in the 2" hitch receiver and the 2 bikes are locked in. Using that, I still have the bed available for other stuff.

I saw some pictures on this website of a Thule rack (like what you have now) mounted on top of a rolling (Retrax type)bed cover.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have something like this from Yakima
(they don't make the exact one I have anymore, it's 13 years old)
https://www.yakima.com/fullswing

Lots of options...
https://www.yakima.com

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack
Old 01-26-2017, 01:06 PM
2014 FX4 EcoScrew

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

How about a bed rack?

Mine is custom and I can take it on/off easily. Yakima makes all kinds of options: https://www.yakima.com/ca/mount-location/truck-racks

I would have done a Bedrock in a SECOND *if* it worked with a bed cover.

https://www.yakima.com/ca/bedrock-2

Plus a couple of High Rollers would be a nice setup. Plus you don't have to take the wheels off.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have two fork mounts bolted to the lid of my toolbox. The fork mounts have locks, and if I want extra protection, I run a cable through the frames (and front wheels if they aren't in the cab). Works well.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Yakima single bar with two locking fork mounts. The bar clamps and locks to the bed's side rails. I can carry two tandems in my long bed.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:11 AM
The Man from Belgium

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone. Looks like I should have explained better.

First, I want to shield the bikes from the elements.

Second, we're not allowed to carry guns. Which means that when you stop at a traffic light, or park at a highway service station for a coffee, everything that can be seen in your truckbed WILL be gone when you return. So I want to keep malfeasants from noticing from far away there's two expensive bikes in the back.

So I got the bag idea. Maybe I should just wait for the 2017 Expedition
Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 AM
2014 FX4 EcoScrew

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, the elements thing really screws you. Sounds like you need to buy a Ford Transit.

Me, I'm waiting for the 2019 Expedition EL Diesel.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I can lay 2 bikes (front wheels off) across the front of the bed...kind of on top of each other with handle bars on opposite sides and a blanket between them. It leaves me with enough room at the rear for gear. I have a Back-flip cover and wouldn't use anything else since I value my $8K worth of bikes.

I've seen bicycle specific tail gate covers (where you hang the front fork over the tail gate) that you can secure to the truck an then cable lock your bikes and front wheels to the mounting points in the bed. It doesn't protect the bikes from the elements but at least they are out of the wind. And no cable lock is going to stand up to a determined thief with long armed bolt cutters.

Search this Thread