Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Towing / Hauling Rear Shocks?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Best Towing / Hauling Rear Shocks?

Looking for any feedback from people that light duty tow and haul. I've done some searches here and looks like most people level their rides with aftermarket stuff. I do not want to do that (for better aero, better handling and I mostly drive the truck when towing and hauling). Surprisingly I've had bad luck with the "get what you pay for" rule of thumb so I'm looking to the forum for advice.

I just found a cracked coil spring so new pre-loaded shock/spring assemblies going in. The front Rancho stuff is a lift and Billstien doesn't make a loaded combo so using a pair of KYB Strut Plus assemblies. What would you guys pair these with? Looking at the Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting, Rancho RS9000XL, KYB Gas-A-Just or OEM Motorcraft.

Anything to avoid or gotta have product that I'm missing?

Mostly hauling ~4500 pound dual axle enclosed trailers and snowmobile trailers in winter. Sometimes have 500-600 pound sled in the bed at the same time. Thanks.

'04 SuperCrew 5.4L FX4
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Why not add-a-leaf?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

I love the Ranchos. Had them on my F150 and immediately put them on my Ram. Night and day difference. I also agree with the above. Add a leaf.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 PM

Appreciate the feedback guys. How was the ride after adding a leaf? I was looking at the Firestone helper bags so I could retain the OEM ride when not hauling but I didn't think about the add a leaf route. But I don't want to jack my own thread here, haha.

Anyone else for input on a good heavy duty shock absorber? I've bought some pretty expensive Monroes for my last truck and they kept blowing out at three months (warranty covered them). Michigan roads are bad but not three sets in a year bad!

Pic of spring that kicked off this topic, doh!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Flatlander

After the extra leaf it was noticeably stiffer but to me it felt much better. It was horribly squishy prior to that. I hate the suspension on the newer trucks- they all feel like your on water balloons. BTW... how the hell did you manage that ^^??

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 08-26-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 PM

Cool, thanks again. Yeah I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier but I park on a slope and drive the truck maybe once or twice a month during the summer. It's mostly a sled hauler for the winter. I'm guessing this was a victim of Michigan roads. Google "Michigan pot holes" and click on images. No photoshopping there, that stuff is hell to drive over. Girlfriend's Beetle and cousins Explorer did the exact same thing. I'm getting good at putting in springs, not a skill I want, ugh.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Flatlander

Holy sh*t! I googled that. It looks like somebody excavated your roads with some air dropped ordinance. Bombed the eff out!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Since the shocks are really just dampeners, you might be better off stiffening up the springs (add a leaf maybe RAS). Sounds like you're overloading the suspension and that is destroying your shocks when you hit those craters. The shocks are not meant to carry load so fix the parts that do first.
The following users liked this post:
nihilus (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just go with the airbags.. then you can still maintain your ride when empty. have the extra control when loaded
Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I agree with air bags. If you are hauling most of the time then an add a leaf is a good option. However when unloaded the truck will fell significantly stiffer. In addition. Stiffer suspension is harder on your truck when unloaded. With differ suspension the suspension points are shocked when unloaded causing cracking around those points.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Towing / Hauling Rear Shocks?