Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle wrap update - 2013 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Axle wrap update - 2013 F150

I have just replaced the factory FORD rubber bump stops in the rear leaf pack with 2 sets of Energy bump stops. The 9132's are at the back of the spring pack and the 9102's are at the front. What this does is more or less couple the upper and lower halves of the spring pack. Here is what it did;

The axle wrap or shudder that I would normally feel when accelerating away from a stop now appears to be gone. I did not say cured, just gone. It may come back at a later date or it may re-occur when towing or it may re-occur when heavily loaded.

The drive shaft now enters the differential at a straight line. I find this remarkable considering that there is very little if no pressure being exerted by the new bump stops. As a matter of fact only the bump stops on the drivers side are actually touching.

The truck does ride a little rougher but not really a whole lot more. I find that it now rides more like a truck than a car. I am sure that the HD suspension is rougher but I have never tried it.

This part is tough. The truck feels more planted when accelerating away from a stop. It used to feel kind of squishy but now it feels solid.

I am not saying that this is a cure all but for 20 bucks and an hour of your time how can you not try it.
The following users liked this post:
speedrich (03-29-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulevard
I have just replaced the factory FORD rubber bump stops in the rear leaf pack with 2 sets of Energy bump stops. The 9132's are at the back of the spring pack and the 9102's are at the front. What this does is more or less couple the upper and lower halves of the spring pack. Here is what it did;

The axle wrap or shudder that I would normally feel when accelerating away from a stop now appears to be gone. I did not say cured, just gone. It may come back at a later date or it may re-occur when towing or it may re-occur when heavily loaded.

The drive shaft now enters the differential at a straight line. I find this remarkable considering that there is very little if no pressure being exerted by the new bump stops. As a matter of fact only the bump stops on the drivers side are actually touching.

The truck does ride a little rougher but not really a whole lot more. I find that it now rides more like a truck than a car. I am sure that the HD suspension is rougher but I have never tried it.

This part is tough. The truck feels more planted when accelerating away from a stop. It used to feel kind of squishy but now it feels solid.

I am not saying that this is a cure all but for 20 bucks and an hour of your time how can you not try it.
Never mind I looked up the part you mentioned you are referring to the bump stop rubber bushing in the leaf pack my mistake.

Last edited by coley909; 03-31-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm confused too. You keep saying bump stop but you must be talking about something with the leaf packs? Can you provide more information or pics? If you've curbed the inherent axle wrap I'd be interested in more details please!

For the record, here are the stock F150 bump stops:
Old 03-31-2015, 05:56 PM

The bump stops that I am talking about go IN the spring pack between the upper and lower halves of the pack. If you look up the part number you will see what I mean. I have had these stops in for a couple of days now and there is definitely a difference.

The bump stop that you have in your picture is for the axle and stops the axle from 'bumping' into the frame....nothing to do with the suspension.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Custom User Title!

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

I've never heard the term bump stop used for anything other than what xcntrk posted.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 PM

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...Shock-Eyes.asp

Now you have
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM

Now I see what you're talking about. "Spring tip inserts" or "Leaf spring isolators" is how I've always known them. I think the confusion around bump-stop is that the Energy products you referenced are various sizes of universal bump-stops that you have found to fit in place of the leaf OE spring isolators.

So I really like this upgrade idea, how has it been holding up? Did you find your suspension any stiffer following the install? So these would install at the spring tips for a largest most bottom leaf, right? It seems to me that if you shore up the empty space between the upper leaf pack and that lower HD leaf, that it would certainly curb any leaf-pack wrap problem as you've described, but may also impact the ride with a firmer overall pack. Those thinner upper leafs are where the F150 gets it "car like" smooth ride, then the larger lower leaf only comes into play under payload when the rear squats down removing the empty space in the leaf pack and engages the HD leaf. So by filling that space, you're now engaging the lower firmer leaf with normal unloaded driving I presume? Is it rough?

And for confusion sake, here's a pic of the stock spring tip inserts or leaf spring isolator thingy:

Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Have you ever had the driveshaft TSB done?

Wayne
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
Have you ever had the driveshaft TSB done? Wayne
i just had my 2010 taken in for the bump stop tsb and its smooth now
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Z7What
Have you ever had the driveshaft TSB done?

Wayne
Is that question to the original poster or to me?

If directed to me; yes I've had the TSB done x2 times. Once they did the procedure to replace the pinion seal and reset the pinion lash, second time resulted in a brand new replacement drive-shaft. In both situations the clicking/popping has returned and those bandaids only last for 5k miles or so

Quick Reply: Axle wrap update - 2013 F150