Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Sumo Super Springs?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Anyone using Sumo Super Springs?

Just wondering if anyone is using Sumo Super Springs and if so, how do you like them? I would like to install them as a helper setup for a smoother ride , whether loaded or unloaded.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I have a pair that will be installed on my F350 Monday. While I don't really need them now with a pin weight of 1800 lbs, I am curious to see how they do with a light (for the F350) load. I currently have a 2" drop with the fiver and ride level. I hope the Sumos allow enough sag for the fiver to not be any more than 1" nose high. I have hit a couple of dips and pot holes that were really jarring and am hoping the Sumosprings soften that up a little. They are essentially passive airbags.
I had Supersprings on my 2011 F150 and they worked well for over 20,000 miles of towing my 10K fiver.
The company has been doing suspension solutions for a long time and even have front solutions for things like snow plows.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 08-05-2017 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Simnut (08-05-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Sumosprings were installed on my F350 yesterday as well as Bilstein shocks. A look underneath shows they come to about 1/2" from the bump arms on the driver side and 3/4" on the passenger side so they will engage sooner that Timbrens, but they are softer than Timbrens. The ride home indicated in a little more bounce on significant bumps. I had measured a 2" sag with my fiver hooked up prior to installation. That sag is now 1.5" which is a relief as my fiver has only gone from 1/4" nose high to 3/4" nose high and I can live with that. I have a trip scheduled in a week and can report on the ride after that. With the fiver hooked up, the Sumos are fully engaged and are more like passive airbags than like Timbrens. I am a little bummed that I can't accurately judge changes made by the new Bilsteins as the Sumos engage on all but the smallest bumps. On my 2011 F150, the Bilsteins on the rear were a significant improvement both towing and unloaded.
I believe the Sumosprings could reduce sway as they should limit lean to one side or the other.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 08-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM

40 mile ride review of Sumosprings and Bilstein shocks on the rear. Since I was only able to put 5 miles on the F350 after the install, I took it out for a 40 mile trial and fun ride. It is hard to tell what did what for the ride, but I went on some moderately rough country roads and the truck seems to ride a little better than OEM. The slap seems to be gone when I hit a bump. The real surprise was "S" curves. I mentioned that I thought the Sumos would limit lean, but it felt very similar to when I put a Hellwig sway bar on the rear of my 2003 Tundra. I was taking mountain curves at about 10 mph over the caution speed signs. Instead of rolling to the side, the truck cornered flat, rotating through the curves instead of plowing through them. I had planned to install the Bilsteins anyway, but the Sumosprings were an after thought as I don't have much sag while towing. If I had it to do over, I would do it sooner. Recommended!
The following users liked this post:
Simnut (08-12-2017)

Search this Thread