Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone trade-in a travel trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Question Anyone trade-in a travel trailer?

The wife and I are considering retiring our trailer and looking for something newer. Same size, sleeps 4, small enough to fit in the small private wooded campsites.

Having never bought brand-new we have some questions about trading in down the road. I know trailers depreciate like crazy, and you can finance these things for 10-20 years if you want to.

Anyone ever get upside-down in a trade-in scenario for TT's? The really low monthly cost looks great, but I worry about the "what if"'s if we want to trade again in 8-10 years.

I'm thinking just buying one cash because we're almost debt-free, but, I'd rather spending some savings on other things if I can. Talking to the salesman was useless when he said "oh we would give you a really good price on a trade-in down the road", yeah right! I can just see still owing 20k and only getting half for the trade...

Anyone got any good or bad experiences to share with trading-in on financed TT's? Wish you had done something different? We may keep it until it's paid off, but who knows... Our current TT is 30 years old but I have a feeling that the new ones won't last (like anything else new).
Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

As much as I've read on the internet, most say it's best to privately sell. And then buy a year or two old TT and let the original owner take the hit on depreciation. Trade-in is used by most that don't really want to deal with it and rather just take it in the shorts. I bet you your 30yo TT is better built than what's out now regardless if it's an Airstream or SOB out there. They don't make it like they used to and hopefully having that TT over the years you learn to be a handyman As I've said to others I'll say it again for TT newbies; TT is NOT an investment, it's an expense! Now family fond memories of those trips will last a lifetime, now go camping...err glamping....err, just get out there and have some fun!
The following users liked this post:
BlackBoost (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Blunt

Yes we've been looking at the used ones as well. We realize the huge hit on depreciation which is why I'm asking. I almost wouldn't mind it if it was something we were definitely keeping for 10-20 years with super-low payments, but you never know what the future brings... I'm just not sure if we should use our savings for it, or for something else, or just keep it... We just put on new full axles with brakes at the beginning of summer, and the roof is all freshly sealed up to prevent leaks. But we kinda need an extra bed or bunks. Right now all we have is the one bed and the dining table turns into a bed, and there's a baby on the way, so... Just want to hear about people's experiences.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
But we kinda need an extra bed or bunks. Right now all we have is the one bed and the dining table turns into a bed, and there's a baby on the way, so...
Could you remodel your existing trailer to add bunks? I have the feeling you're pretty handy. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Blunt

Originally Posted by Like2Hike
Could you remodel your existing trailer to add bunks? I have the feeling you're pretty handy. Just a thought.
I like to think that I am lol There is a bunk that folds down over the bed, but when it's up, it doubles as extra cupboard space (has 2 cupboard doors) but we actually use those as cupboards...

There isn't really anywhere to add bunks. My only remodel plans for our TT is to swap out the bath tub for a standup shower and move the sink to the empty space leftover where half the tub was. This is just to make more room in the bathroom and install a larger RV toilet to replace the tiny potty we have now. It's too low and cramped.

There are a few new(er) models we looked at with slides that leave quite a bit of open floor space that would be ideal for a bassinette or playpen. But we definitely will still need the bunks for later down the road...
Old 08-13-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 188 Likes on 102 Posts

Keep it, or buy one a few years old privately. I bought a 5 year old trailer from a small mom and pop dealer for the sole purpose of making a 3 week route 66 trip with it. Sold it for about $400 less than I paid a couple months later. If I had waited for a Craigslist or similar deal I would have broke even at least.

New ones are overpriced. Lots of folks buy a new one for $200 a month and the next year they're on Craigslist.
BlackBoost (08-14-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

10 years ago, I traded a 10-year-old popup for a hybrid. 10 years after that the popup is still worth the trade value I got but the hybrid, although in very good-to-excellent condition, is worth maybe half the purchase price.

Now I want to dump the hybrid. Even though TTs have dropped in price, improved in quality and weight displacement and it's bargain season, I'll take a bath on trade but I'd rather not wait to sell on the open market. And the dealer gets any problem I've left under the rug.

And, as an aside, I want to get lighter. The hybrid turns my truck into a gas hog even on the shortest trips.
BlackBoost (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

i have NEVER traded in any vehicle or RV because you'll always lose.
have always sold them privately.
i've asked for trade-in value numerous times and always been given a ridiculous and unacceptable trade-in value.
BlackBoost (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Blunt

Thanks guys. My current TT would obviously be sold privately because a dealer won't give me much for a 30 year old camper. I can just list it along with all the upgrades I've done and let it sit on the "for sale" sites until it goes. It's the next one I'm buying that I'm concerned about either financing or just buying outright. I see pros and cons to both.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

We traded in our last trailer as the price the dealer offered was about a $1K less than I probably could have gotten on a private sale. I figured it was worth it not having to figure out where to put two trailers on my property and have to deal with all the other stuff selling it myself would bring. When all was said an done the trailer sold for about 40% of what we paid for it after 5 years which I don't think is too bad for a basic entry level trailer. As was mentioned above I too look at the trailer as a money sink not as an investment or something that will hold its value.
BlackBoost (08-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Anyone trade-in a travel trailer?