Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with a bullet proof hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any experience with a bullet proof hitch?

Just looking at a few different drop hitch ball mounts, I like the fact that the bullet proof has a max load capacity of 22k lbs which is far over anything I would ever tow. Wondering how the powdercoat finish holds up. Second option is a weight safe brand aluminum drop hitch.

Also if anyone has a f150 running 34-35 inch tires, what length drop do you have.( I will also have a slighty taller rear block)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I doubt any powdercoat finish will last. Mine's a reese, powdercoated, but after a full summer of towing it's worn off, and that's with greasing. I don't think that's something that should matter really, or at least it doesn't to me. I take the hitch out when not towing and it's always covered in grease anyways lol

For the drop, that's not only to do with the height of the truck, but also the height and weight of your trailer. I'm on stock 20" wheels and my travel trailer's axles are flipped and I run a straight hitch, no drop.

Guestimate yours by measuring the height of the trailer tongue (with trailer level) from the ground and the height from the top of the truck's receiver to the ground and see what the difference is. Adjust for sag for when the tongue weight in on the hitch. 2-500lbs is probably 1-1.5" of sag. Use that hitch and once you've hooked up and put all the weight on the hitch, then you'll know if you need to swap it for a higher or lower drop.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 06-18-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 188 Likes on 102 Posts

No experience with Bulletproof, but you may want to look at some others.

I had a Gen-Y Hitch on my Ram 2500. Crazy heavy duty and WD friendly. But absolutely overkill for my F-150. The finish looks great, but half the winter in New England and I was already getting some rust.

So, now I'm leaning towards an Andersen Rapid Hitch. Similar to the Weight Safe in appearance. All aluminum and less expensive. Probably more than adequate for any towing with a light duty F-150 and it looks pretty good.

Loved my Gen-Y, but I think an all aluminum hitch will be better on this truck.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 PM

Ended up picking up a trimax all aluminum 6 inch drop with locks on amazom for $160... I like the idea of not having a rusty hitch amd the price was right. The trimax holds up to 10k, so thats enough. If for some reason I am unhappy with it, I will send it back and go with a weight safe.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Just hoping the 6 inch drop works for 1 inch added to the rear blocks and 35 inch tires.

Quick Reply: Any experience with a bullet proof hitch?