Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air leveling suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Air leveling suspension?

I use my truck to tow snowmobiles, Rangers and ATV's, a 21' boat and a camper (TBD). My current tow vehicle has an air leveling system and I find it indispensable. It makes a huge difference.

I am currently looking at buying my first Ford ever (well, I did have a '57 fleetside at one time but....) to use for towing and as an everyday driver. I like the 3.5EB and the new 10 speed auto, if I can get one outfitted with a leveling system I would have the ideal tow platform. But, I can't seem to find any options for a factory installed system. Are there any factory options for air leveling systems on the F-150? Am I overlooking something?

If not, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket kit? To add to the confusion, I am bouncing between a Raptor or an XLT Lariat. I only mention that since the suspension on the Raptor is much different. :-/

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
gl
Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want to tow...don't get the raptor.

Max payload is only 1,200# and max towing is only 8000#.

Payload of a XLT or Lariat w/Heavy duty payload package (HDPP) maxes out at 2390# towing at 11700.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Check out Firestone Air Bags. They have kits for most trucks and are easy to install. I would recommend watching a youtube video on the difference between just adding air bags and have a properly set up weight distributing hitch though. I'm assuming you're coming from a Dodge since they're the only ones I know of with a factory installed air ride system in a truck. The good news is, you can only go up from there!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:25 PM

Actually, I am coming from a Suburban. :-)

What about Air-Lift? I was looking at their solutions this AM and they looked ok, but I am not really sure what to look for.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by garage_logician
Actually, I am coming from a Suburban. :-)

What about Air-Lift? I was looking at their solutions this AM and they looked ok, but I am not really sure what to look for.
I'm not familiar with that brand in particular but it looks the same as the Firestone air bags I posted about above. They're just an adjustable air spring that acts as a helper for the rear leafs when the truck is loaded. You usually run a very low pressure in them when unloaded and pump them up as needed to match the load you intend to carry. You can get the springs alone and use your own air compressor to add pressure or you can buy the more expensive kit that gives you pressure read outs in the cab and has a built in compressor with the kit. With that kit, you just press a button and let the system work whereas the manual fill kits you have to do it all by hand. What's your reason for wanting an air spring set up? Is it towing or hauling? if you're experiencing excessive sag, you might just be flat out overloading the truck.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:57 PM

Towing, and I am not overloading the truck. ;-) I have 30+ years experience with trailers and hauling.

My reason for air bags is to keep the truck level when it is loaded. Better handling, better braking, headlights are on the road, etc.. Ultimately I want the same system I have now, which is automatic. As the load is added the bags add assist.

I should clarify it seems, when I said I was not sure what to look for I meant as far as quality and features of the add on systems. While I have used air bags before they were an option from the manufacturer.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Both Firestone and AirLift make airbag kits with the option of onboard compressors and in-cab controls w/pressure gauges. Currently only Dodge is offering a fully automatic factory installed system. If you wanted to get creative, you could buy a bag kit along with the onboard air system and modify it. You'd need a small air tank and a pressure switch set to 60 -or so- psi. You'd install the system such that the pump supplied the tank, which it would maintain at the 60 psi previously mentioned. You'd then have to install an adjustable squat valve like you find on trucks and busses which are designed to keep the suspension at a predetermined height. Air line goes from tank to valve to bags. I thought about doing this until I got my first in-cab system. It's too easy to just toggle the pressure up or down with the switch.

Last edited by PerryB; 07-20-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 PM

I did find a kit on the air lift site that includes the compressor and a magnetic switch which takes care of the auto leveling. I am leaning towards that solution....
Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I wasn't aware, I'm going to go do a little looking into that to see how it works. It sounds a little easier than my system.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
I wasn't aware, I'm going to go do a little looking into that to see how it works. It sounds a little easier than my system.
Here is a link:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...tems/smartair/