Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Compressor for rear bags

Old 05-19-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Compressor for rear bags

Air bags will be here today and was cleaning up the shop in prep for the work to add them.

For the 11 F-150 it will probably tow 3-5 times a year and just 10k. Anyhow, while cleaning I found an Mark VIII shock compressor, so the debate is on if I can get it to pump up the bags or not. It will be a fun project. The pump was used to hit 200 psi on the 4 shocks, so the up to 35psi on the bags should be doable.

Yes, I could just buy a pump and call it done, but what challenge is that? Also, this compressor is free and readily available.

Has anyone on here used a Mark VIII compressor?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 AM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Subscribed.

What bags did you get? I'm looking into this now as our new boat is heavier.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM
F150 Forum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueFlameEB
Air bags will be here today and was cleaning up the shop in prep for the work to add them.

For the 11 F-150 it will probably tow 3-5 times a year and just 10k. Anyhow, while cleaning I found an Mark VIII shock compressor, so the debate is on if I can get it to pump up the bags or not. It will be a fun project. The pump was used to hit 200 psi on the 4 shocks, so the up to 35psi on the bags should be doable.

Yes, I could just buy a pump and call it done, but what challenge is that? Also, this compressor is free and readily available.

Has anyone on here used a Mark VIII compressor?
You may run into an issue with fittings. Most air shock compressor lines are 1/8" where are bags normally require 1/4" lines.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I think the issue of having mismatched lines and fittings, shouldn't be much of an issue with a few bucks at the hardware store... going to a bigger line off a compressor initially makes me pause, but this isn't something that you need to have quick, constant, and on the fly high CMF's of air
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I installed AirLift 5,000 lb bags on my 1995 Dodge 1500. With 30 lb in them it rode like a 3/4 ton truck and completely stopped the rocking motion I got while towing our single axle boat trailer. They did limit the downward travel of the rear axle though. This is especially evident over a moderate dip in pavement.
I would always recommend using two separate air lines for the bags so that air cannot travel between them in a turn. The added roll stiffness is a real benefit.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:29 PM
F150 Forum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
I installed AirLift 5,000 lb bags on my 1995 Dodge 1500. With 30 lb in them it rode like a 3/4 ton truck and completely stopped the rocking motion I got while towing our single axle boat trailer. They did limit the downward travel of the rear axle though. This is especially evident over a moderate dip in pavement.
I would always recommend using two separate air lines for the bags so that air cannot travel between them in a turn. The added roll stiffness is a real benefit.
Good point. I always recommend plumbing the bags separately, saves a lot of sway while turning.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Yes. On my Dodge it worked great to use the two Schrader valves as the top mounts for my license plate. Handy but unobtrusive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Compressor for rear bags