Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are air bags the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Are air bags the way to go?

Just ordered a travel trailer and want to prepare for the inevitable rear end sag. I know that there's a million options. I can't get into all that.

I'd like to hear from some folks who have done the trial and error of trying the different bags, springs, devices, etc. and have come to the conclusion of what works best for the least amount of effort, the most cost effective, simplest to install, easiest to maintain, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a simple animal. I can accept the experiences of those who have tried different methods and I'm willing to make a purchase based on the experience of others - good and bad.

Thanks for your input.

Popular Reply

09-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Martian
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Both of you, just shut up.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

It seems that having a properly loaded trailer, with tongue weight that does not exceed the truck's payload, and a properly adjusted weight distribution hitch, usually requires no modifications.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
lewisra (09-07-2016), Velosprout (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
It seems that having a properly loaded trailer, with tongue weight that does not exceed the truck's payload, and a properly adjusted weight distribution hitch, usually requires no modifications.
X2. You don't even know if there is an issue yet.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Hopefully the OP had either read a bunch of the posts and done the calculations, or knew how to figure the max trailer he could have. So many people buy, then realize how badly they screwed up.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Geeeeeezzzz...it's like asking my wife a question. Never a straight answer. Thanks for chiming in.

I got 3 responses from 2 people neither of which even remotely touched my question. You guys must work for the government.

I think I was pretty straight forward with my question. I wanted to hear from people who have tried several different methods of leveling out the rear of their trucks. I figure there are people who have tried everything and ultimately settled on one device.

I wanted to know what worked best for them. It's such a simple question. The circumstances, scenarios, situations, and the potential relevancy to my needs are MY problem. I'm not asking for permission.

I just wanted to hear what worked for people who have tried different ways of leveling the rear of their truck while towing a load. That's it. So simple.

"Don't know if I have a problem yet" So I'm planning ahead, I'm anticipating solutions if I have an issue. It's not uncommon for people to run air bags, helper springs, Timbrens, or other devices.

Please if anyone has any input of "value" that's "relevant" to my "question" I would appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

what trailer did you order, and what does your yellow payload sticker say?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

the answer to your question is yes, airbags are the solution to any future issues you may have.

they will not raise your ratings but will help to eliminate porpoising and help with your overall towing experience.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

What they are saying is that the truck is designed to sit level when at (or near) capacity. So assuming you aren't overloaded you shouldn't need anything to pick the rear up level with the front.

However, if your truck sits level unloaded you will have an issue even loaded. I think air bags are a good option in that situation. With my 2" leveling kit (shop that installed it said it was 2" but I think it may actually be 2.5") my truck sat 3/4" low in the rear. This is with a Bakflip cover and Swing Case with tools/hitches/etc. I added a General Spring 800# add a leaf hoping it would sit level AND not sag when loaded. Well, it now sits 1.25" high in the rear and sits level with about 800# in the bed. I want to pull the rear block (1.25") and would like to drop front down a little. I think I would have ultimately been more satisfied with air bags and lowering the front to make it level unloaded.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The bigger question should be how often are you carrying a load. If it's only several weekends a year then airbags are fine, and depending on the load I might even add timbrens to that. If you are pulling a load every weekend I would add another leaf to the pack first.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Cant tell you if the absolute best solution, but as far as cheapest, easiest, zero adjustment once installed, its tough to beat Timbrens.

I was introduced to them when my dad bought a new F250 SD and when he hooked up to his new toyhauler he bought at the same time, that back end squatted beyond belief. He had Timbrens installed and it instantly corrected the situation.

Knowing how much my brother's 2010 F150 scab sags with our trailer and equipment, I didn't hesitate to put Timbren's on instantly when I bought a 2016 Scab.

Ride unloaded is not effected, fully loaded ride is more secure and still provides a soft ride.
The following users liked this post:
TooManyVehicles (09-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Are air bags the way to go?