Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bags

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Air Bags

I had to take my F150 2016 305 eco in to have them adjust my WHD(equalizer), the truck was sagging on the rear end. The truck now looks really good from front of truck to back of trailer. As the trailer place the new f150 sag a bit more then the older models.
Question I have is it worth adding airbags or just leave it now. I was quoted $1200 to install airbags and I am sure I can do it myself.
If most here say get the airbags which ones do you recommend??

Thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

In the US you can have the Firestone/Ride-Rite #2582 kit delivered to you door for around $400. The installation manual calls for 1.8 hr. labor. To me, $1200 is absurd. This is a "no drill" kit and very easy to install. I have Ride-Rites on both my of my trucks because I like to be able to eliminate the squat when hauling at or near capacity. When empty I let them down to 5 psi and there is no noticeable penalty in terms of ride quality. If you want to get sophisticated you could install the on board air with in-cab controls, but personally I never found that to warrant the extra effort/expense. Even with the air control system you should be able to get it installed for under $1000 -- US that is.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I would put a few thousand miles of towing on the truck and trailer first and then decide if you really need them.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Velosprout
I would put a few thousand miles of towing on the truck and trailer first and then decide if you really need them.
Amen to that! Don't worry about squat- let the WDH handle that.

My first tow was very "floaty". Then I realized that the GY wranglers were at 40PSI, so when I picked up the trailer for the next trip, I ran the rear up to 48 and the fronts to 45, and it felt much better. I was seeing 2MPG better as well.
The following users liked this post:
acadianbob (06-14-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 11:25 AM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Air bag install is ridiculously easy. Do it yourself.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:43 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

i installed firestones on mine in less than an hour and I'm a shadetree mechanic at best. i have only towed my TT once but it is nice to be able to set rear height where you want.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered from amazon.com the air ride control model#59570 for my 2015/F150 sport V8, 6.5 box for $234.00 and comes with a mail-in 25 dollar manufacture rebate. Said last one at that price when I ordered last week so I jumped at it. I pull a travel trailer for camping and also have a 6x12 enclosed utility for my ATV and hunting trips. There was a sag, everyone says this will help. Package just arrived at my US mail box, My next step is install, I am no mechanic but handy hoping to do the install, any tips?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch this be for you decided

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/index....cb1de-26669213
Old 06-14-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting video thanks. I found my new 2015 truck having the 157" wheel base (6.5' box) versus my old short box ford that, I can get my trailer perfect level with my equalizer hitch I could not eliminate the sag in *** end of truck. I had read on this forum that the new F150 had sagging issues (sound like an old lady or man LOL). A few had told me to get the air ride control just to lift the rear end a bit along with the equalizer's. Recommend air ride control. My issue is, with little knowledge in vehicle repair should I tackle the installation. I can build a house but can I fix a car is my issue!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hunter
I can build a house but can I fix a car is my issue!

Me too. I am an accountant/computer systems developer, but was raised on a farm so carpentry, plumbing and electric were easy to learn. After I retired, I designed my house using PC software, then built it from the foundation up, mostly by myself. It took me almost two years. I did everything except HVAC, concrete, brick facade and septic tank. I can lay brick, but the result is not pretty, and it's very hard work, so I hired it done. A good friend is a plumber, so I did most of the plumbing, and he did the HVAC and septic tank. Darling Wife helped me with cabinets and 2,600 sq. ft. of floor tile throughout the house, and wall tile in the bathrooms and kitchen. Nephew is an architect and he checked over my design, then converted my floorplan into blueprints and made only minor changes to the foundation.

But I hate trying to figure out how to mod or even fix a pickup. Automotive electric is a lot different than wiring a house. So I pay someone to work on my pickup.
The following users liked this post:
Da Hunter (06-15-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Bags