Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to get roasted for asking this so here goes

Old 12-21-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to get roasted for asking this so here goes

What are the effects of going over pin weight/max payload while still being under GCWR?

2015 F150 CCSB Max payload of 1442 and Max tow of 7600. I have a gooseneck that will not weigh more than 6k loaded due to what I’m hauling. Would be going over pin weight by 50-100lbs.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 316 Likes on 200 Posts

Death, destruction and mayhem, that's what will happen. In all honesty if its no more than that amount over, I'd say nothing bad will happen.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:45 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeman1
Death, destruction and mayhem, that's what will happen. In all honesty if its no more than that amount over, I'd say nothing bad will happen.
never say nothing.

Let's say OP gets in an accident where people are hurt. Let's say a personal injury lawyer is hired to represent the injured folks. Regardless of fault, Mr. Lawyer is going to determine that the setup was over x or y or z ratings of the F150, and that it caused a potentially dangerous condition and was negligence on the part of OP.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

^what he said^

Going over GVWR and/or GAWR puts added stress on that particular component, though many believe there are large fudge factors built in, which I tend to agree with considering the same axle housing is used on previous years with a higher GAWR.

You have Liability to be concerned with, and potential stress damage to contend with. If you do go over, within reason is how I would put it. What that "within" part is where many disagree on.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 316 Likes on 200 Posts

Has anybody ever actually heard of someone being sued or in trouble for being over a weight rating by a small amount? Is it just internet lore? I see people hauling stuff on crap trailers with no tie downs all the time, if they have an accident, they will get in trouble.

My opinion is if you have a trailer with brakes when needed, tie your stuff down, have the right hitch and ball, your trailer lights work, and you aren't some crazy amount over your weight rating, your going to be OK. 50 to 100 pound over your pin weight? That's really a problem? Take your tail gate off and your spare tire off if its that big of a deal.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Has anybody ever actually heard of someone being sued or in trouble for being over a weight rating by a small amount? Is it just internet lore? I see people hauling stuff on crap trailers with no tie downs all the time, if they have an accident, they will get in trouble.

My opinion is if you have a trailer with brakes when needed, tie your stuff down, have the right hitch and ball, your trailer lights work, and you aren't some crazy amount over your weight rating, your going to be OK. 50 to 100 pound over your pin weight? That's really a problem? Take your tail gate off and your spare tire off if its that big of a deal.
Exactly, if it’s really an issue take off the running boards, tailgate, and even the rear seat and that should slide you under the Gvwr. Or don’t fill you gas tank all the way. Payload rating assumes a full tank.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
^what he said^

Going over GVWR and/or GAWR puts added stress on that particular component, though many believe there are large fudge factors built in, which I tend to agree with considering the same axle housing is used on previous years with a higher GAWR.

You have Liability to be concerned with, and potential stress damage to contend with. If you do go over, within reason is how I would put it. What that "within" part is where many disagree on.
He has a 2.7 so it’s most likely the 8.8” axle.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:18 PM

Yes, I have. There was a case, I forget where it was, where a husband and wife were towing a trailer with a small SUV. They had the right of way and a car T-boned them, killing the wife. I forget the circumstances, but the man was liable for the death because being overweight reduced the ability to brake in time to avoid the accident.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Do you think when this happens they take out a newspaper ad and post the liability? Or get on social media and talk about it?

If you have an accident, the other party and/or their insurance company should and will be looking for every factor involved. If they find you were over some capacity, AND they find you were knowingly over, you're dead meat. Posting on a forum would be one example of "knowing".

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 12-22-2017 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 04:21 PM

5. Perry v. Diffee Ford Lincoln Mercury (Colorado State Court, 2009)
Truck was hauling a trailer that was too heavy and on improper tires. The trailer came loose and killed a man in oncoming traffic. The man’s family sued the truck / trailer company and recovered $2.25 million.
6. Dearybury v. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Florida 2013)
An FWCC employee was trailering a 31-foot boat in the Florida Keys behind an SUV when the driver lost control and hit an oncoming vehicle head-on. The Florida Highway Patrol found the combined weight of the boat and trailer totaled 10,420 lbs., while the maximum towing capacity for the trailer hitch was 6,000 lbs. The maximum towing capacity for the FWCC vehicle itself was only 8,000 lbs.
The FHP conceded the negligent operation of the FWCC truck caused this collision which saw the death of two innocent people. The jury awarded one of the victims $1.3 million. More lawsuits related to this accident are still pending.
https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/im...s-in-lawsuits/

While this is more business related cases, the fact remains, in a crash that leads to serious injury or death, weights will be checked.

This is a nice one to read, not a lawsuit, but some one getting the point after the fact.

http://fifthwheelst.com/rv_accident_2006_tahoe.html
The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
Ricktwuhk (12-21-2017), smokeywren (12-22-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to get roasted for asking this so here goes