Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

750 lb TW and 7500 lb trailer weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 750 lb TW and 7500 lb trailer weight

From my further research...I discovered that my truck tow rating without a WDH is as I put in the title.... 750 lb tongue weight and a 7500 lb max trailer weight. That is the dead weight capabilities of my hitch. Different than what Ford suggests...using a WDH for anything over 500/5000 lbs.

This is one reason why my truck/tractor/trailer handles so well without the WDH ...I'm figuring. I have to lose about 100 lbs on my tongue weight to be legal on that and my rear GAWR. I have two options I guess.....move the buckets to the front of the truck box...which would probably help the ride of the truck, remove weight from the tongue AND add weight back to the front axle. Or, move my tractor further back on the trailer to get weight off the tongue. But, in this case, I don't want to get too much of the weight past the trailer axles. I will have to play with it tomorrow at the scales. Find the best solution. I would really like to keep the buckets where they are....but .....will have to do what I have to do I guess.

Anyone else pulling an equipment trailer of around 7000 lbs without a WDH? I have zero issues doing it...and it appears I'm legal doing it.

Edited to add:
I will not pull the TT without a WDH...just in case you're wondering. LOL Too much like a sail

Last edited by Simnut; 11-24-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The receiving assembly has been tested and certified to those numbers but Ford only approves the truck to 500/5000 without the WDH. That being said, I have a similar flatbed I use for hauling a tractor and it tows great. I pull the tractor forward until the truck squats about 3" (at the bumper) from its unloaded position and bind it down. I then put about 20 lbs in the bags to re-level the truck (onboard air - love it) and away I go. Rock solid at 55-60 mph.
The following users liked this post:
Simnut (11-25-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I have always wondered if these weight restrictions are more for the balance of the truck axles, than the actual weight on the receiver. When you think about it, 1000 pounds is 1000 pounds. With a WDH at 1000#, that is still 1000 pounds resting on the receiver, the difference is that load is distributed forward and backwards. It may lighten the load a bit, but when you scale it, it is still well over 500 pounds on the ball.

As long as the truck handles well, I wouldn't put much thought into it. When you consider how many people pull heavy boats that exceed 5000 pounds, and don't use a WDH, it would appear that the receiver is not the concern for the weight.
Simnut (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have always wondered if these weight restrictions are more for the balance of the truck axles, than the actual weight on the receiver. When you think about it, 1000 pounds is 1000 pounds. With a WDH at 1000#, that is still 1000 pounds resting on the receiver, the difference is that load is distributed forward and backwards. It may lighten the load a bit, but when you scale it, it is still well over 500 pounds on the ball.

As long as the truck handles well, I wouldn't put much thought into it. When you consider how many people pull heavy boats that exceed 5000 pounds, and don't use a WDH, it would appear that the receiver is not the concern for the weight.

I agree ..... using common sense. The hitch receiver is still carrying the tongue weight whether using a WDH or not. The WDH does allow you to get back to within legal weights on your axles as you said......IF needed.

Went to the scales yesterday morning and played with weights ....again. My wife just shakes her head......lol. I now have 800 lbs of tongue weight which is 12.5% +/- of the trailer weight. I am below my axles weight ratings all across the board. The rear of my truck settles just under an inch, the front rises about 3/8 - 1/2". All I did was move the tractor towards the rear of the trailer about 7 inches.

The hitch receiver is a Class IV and the ball/ball mount are rated for 1200/16000. This trailer setup has a very low center of gravity and almost all the weight is centered on the trailer wheels. I now feel the suspension work better on the truck and enjoy the drive with it. So, in a nutshell...I'm happy and legal!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

And that is all that really matters!
Simnut (11-26-2017)