Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0L w/5.5' box need thoughts from experienced RV'ers

Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
I'd rather be boating

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 5.0L w/5.5' box need thoughts from experienced RV'ers

Using the truck in my signature I know I don't have the ideal tow rig. I have the tow package with built in brake controller but no Max or HD package. Also have P rated tires which I'm sure would need to be replaced with a LT but isn't mandatory. My door tag says the gvwr is 7350lbs. I haven't got a chance to weigh the truck but I'm guessing its close to 6k full of fuel with me in it. I know my gearing could be better and I'm familiar with load distribution hitches and air bags/ helper springs etc. Where I need help/advice/opinions is I'm unsure which to start pursuing a TT or a 5er. Id like to stay around 5k range and 26-27ft either way I go. My concerns are pulling a 5er with a 5.5' box and the pin weight causing me to exceed my gvwr. I've read that most 5ers in the size I'm looking at will have a minimum of 900lb pin load. If this is the case I'm afraid I'll be maxed out. I'm hoping that some of you on here have experience with this exact or close to setup. I'm just now getting into the market and don't want to invest time into looking for a 5er when I'm going to end up with a TT after its all said and done. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

For a trailer in 26-27' you would be better off with a travel trailer. You would have much more room since the first 10-12' of most fivers is the bedroom. The lightest tongue weight I have seen on a 5th wheel when I was deciding on a trailer was 1050lbs.. There are a ton of travel trailers in the size and weight your looking for. Just find a floor plan you like and get a quality WDHitch and your good to go.

Last edited by EcoboostKev; 01-01-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I'd rather be boating

Wow 1050lbs is definitely more than I thought the pin weight would be. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by H82LOSE; 01-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by H82LOSE
What exactly are you saying or is that a question?
Lol!!! Sorry about that! I started typing and my cat jumped up on my ipad and hit a free keys then hit the send button.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM
I'd rather be boating

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
Lol!!! Sorry about that! I started typing and my cat jumped up on my ipad and hit a free keys then hit the send button.
No problem, I was scratching my head literally.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EcoboostKev is exactly right. You'll have a lot more choices in TTs than in 5ers. And, the payload as you noted is going to be the most critical part of staying within limits. Having said all that, I was determined to exhaust all possibilities since I really wanted a fifth wheel instead of a travel trailer. Lots of into here: Towing a 5th Wheel, PM me if you'd care to know more. And check out Platinum Sean's posts - probably the ultimate authority here on 5'er towing.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

With your truck as it sits I'd definitely be staying with a TT. You will find you have significantly more options with blowing your ratings all h__l. It's not that you cannot find a 5'r that will suit your needs, but you will be severely limited.

You also didn't mention your family size and/or amount of towing etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I'd rather be boating

Originally Posted by GMConvert
EcoboostKev is exactly right. You'll have a lot more choices in TTs than in 5ers. And, the payload as you noted is going to be the most critical part of staying within limits. Having said all that, I was determined to exhaust all possibilities since I really wanted a fifth wheel instead of a travel trailer. Lots of into here: Towing a 5th Wheel, PM me if you'd care to know more. And check out Platinum Sean's posts - probably the ultimate authority here on 5'er towing.
Thanks for the info! I really want to go with a 5er as I really like the lightweight aluminum Sunnybrook's. Since this will be are 1st rv I'd like to pick up a used unit say around 5 or so years old. In looking for a used one there seems to be a ton more 5ers than TT. Thanks again for the links
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd rather be boating

Originally Posted by ecobeest
With your truck as it sits I'd definitely be staying with a TT. You will find you have significantly more options with blowing your ratings all h__l. It's not that you cannot find a 5'r that will suit your needs, but you will be severely limited.

You also didn't mention your family size and/or amount of towing etc.
As for the family we'll it will mostly be the better half and myself and combined we're under 450lbs. We plan on taking very few trips over 60 miles from our residence. The camper will spend most of the summer sitting at the lake and maybe 1 or 2 short trips.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You not only have the pin weight, but the weight of the 5th wheel hitch that takes away from your max weight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0L w/5.5' box need thoughts from experienced RV'ers