Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F150 XLT trailer disconnected/1st +2nd gear vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 F150 XLT trailer disconnected/1st +2nd gear vibration

Hi all, I'm pretty sure this has been an ongoing issue, but any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I started getting this message a little while ago, took it to the dealer and they replaced the 7 pin connector, the first couple times I towed I didn't have an issue, lights all work, no flickering, brakes do not seem to work when I use the brake control manually?
Just got back from my first trip out since it was replaced and same thing happening;
-fine while sitting in laneway
-between 65-80kmph get the trailer disconnected message
-slowing down message reappears showing trailer brake gain setting and output, when cycled manually then works
Pulling a 28ft 5th wheel, also replaced trailer plug suspecting that was the culprit.
Going to call dealer again and get it back in.
Another thing I have noticed is a bit of vibration in 1st and 2nd gear when taking off, I'm not hard on it, just regular acceleration with a trailer, they seem to think it may need to have the tranny re-flashed or programmed.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Any chance the problems in the trailer connector? Have you cleaned up those pins just to be sure?

My campers a 2012 bought new by us and yeah, I had to clean the trailer plug up this season due to a couple connectivity issues.

transmission...are you using the tow/haul mode? For me things felt a little different
Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveman_1965
Any chance the problems in the trailer connector? Have you cleaned up those pins just to be sure?

My campers a 2012 bought new by us and yeah, I had to clean the trailer plug up this season due to a couple connectivity issues.

transmission...are you using the tow/haul mode? For me things felt a little different
Yes, I even went as far as changing the plug and checking connections further in the trailer.
yes I do use tow/haul, at ford dealer now with trailer but doesn’t seem to be doing it now.......of course!!

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 XLT trailer disconnected/1st +2nd gear vibration