Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 2.7 no towing package

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 2.7 no towing package

First of all, thanks for any advice in advance. This forum is excellent all around!
I'm looking for input on a 2018 2.7 Eco, 302A, SCREW. The window sticker can be found here.
I like this truck because it's an XLT with the BLIS, but it doesn't have the "Towing Package". We plan to tow a travel trailer that has a max GVWR of 6500 lbs up to 10% of the time.
Should I be OK with this truck? I read somewhere that the 2.7s have a trans cooler already, and I'm not really interested in the backup assist.
Just want to make sure I'm getting the truck that meets my needs. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

It would be nice to have 3.73 gears and the bigger differential but don’t see why it wouldn’t if it is rated to pull that.

i would work the deal up and then have them put a factory trailer brake controller in. Definitely worth it and shouldn’t be hard for them to do.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Take a look at the payload sticker on the door. Figure 12% of the 6500 GVWR of the trailer as an estimate of tongue weight (780 lbs.) plus 80 lbs. for a weight distribution hitch plus all passengers, pets and cargo in the truck. See if it fits. GVWR - weight of truck with a full tank of fuel = Payload ("The combined weight of occupants should never exceed XXXX pounds.")

Check the towing capacity of the truck. However, most half ton trucks run out of payload and exceed their GVWR before they exceed the GCWR.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

The towing guide says that towing a trailer over 5,000 lbs. without a Trailer Tow Package can void the warranty. The Trailer Tow Package includes the transmission oil cooler, an engine oil cooler and an upgraded front stabilizer bar. You might talk to the truck dealer about the warranty issues with towing a 6500 lb. trailer.

Of course, you will need a trailer brake controller. The Ford Integrated Trailer Brake Controller is highly recommended.

Last edited by atwowheelguy; 12-30-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Do yourself a favor, never, ever, buy a new truck without a towing package. The cost difference is not very high, and the utility of having a tow package is great.

Trying to piece together all the items included in the towing packages is a major undertaking. Its not just some wiring and a brake controller.

Look at everything included with the max towing package above. Myself, if I am buying a new truck, I'm getting the max trailer tow package. Realize talented truck sales people are highly skilled in talking you into whatever truck they have in inventory, rather than what truck is best for you!!! Don't fall it!

And as someone who has owned several trailers over the years, don't be surprised if you end up upgrading trailers, to something that naturally will be larger and heavier. Having room to spare so you don't have to buy a new truck again later is a good idea.

And if I was ordering a new truck, I'd be sure to add the factory tow mirrors as an option.

Last edited by thrifty biil; 12-30-2017 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. I missed that VERY important part of the 5,000 lb tow rating from Ford. I was going off the 7,600 max tow. I will skip this truck and only get one with the tow package!
What dealer orders an XLT with BLIS and no tow package?! Makes no sense!
Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I agree pass on it. Also look at the GVW. The one you posted is low. You want the 7000 GVW at least.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by imakeco
Thanks for the advice. I missed that VERY important part of the 5,000 lb tow rating from Ford. I was going off the 7,600 max tow. I will skip this truck and only get one with the tow package!
What dealer orders an XLT with BLIS and no tow package?! Makes no sense!
Thanks again!
Good decision. A 6500 travel trailer is not small Travel trailers tend to be harder to pull than any other type of trailer. They are a complete brick and the wind resistance will keep the engine working on the highway. The side of the trailers are like a sail and will catch cross winds and the bow wake off other vehicles and move the combination and cause excessive sway on improperly set up combinations. Pulling that size travel trailer, I would skip on the 2.7. The 2.7 generally comes with the thinnest frame and the weakest springs will not resist trailer movement as well as some of the other configurations - they also weigh slightly less which is a factor. The 5.0 or the 3.5EB can be had with the mid grade or strongest fram with (HDPP) and stronger springs that will resist lateral movement more. If you heart is set on the 2.7 as long as it has the tow package, I'm sure it can be set up to tow that trailer fine, but it will be harder to find the sweet spot with tongue weight and hitch set up. A max tow 3.5 or 5.0 will be easier to set up right. An HDPP will be even easier. A 3/4 ton will be even easier etc, etc. Pick what works for you, as long are you understand how to set it up any of those options can work.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Stop! Take a deep breath. Don't even think about buying that F-150 for towing a TT. Find one that has at least the following options, or if your dealer cannot find the one you need, then take another deep breath and order exactly the truck you need:

→ Trailer tow mirrors

→Max tow pkg, which requires or includes:
→→ 3.5L EcoBoost engine
→→ 3.55 e-locker axle
→→ 36-gallon gas tank
→→ Auxiliary tranny cooler
→→ Integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC)
→→ Upgraded receiver hitch w/smart trailer tow connector
→→ Engine oil cooler
→→ Pro trailer backup assist
→→ Upgraded front stabilizer bar

Note that max tow no longer includes the tow mirrors, so if you want tow mirrors you must order them as a stand-alone option.

If you want XLT trim with BLIS (blind spot info system), then you have to order the 302A "luxury" trim pkg. 302A includes remote start, 10-way power seats, heated front seats, reverse sensing system, SYNC® 3 and the XLT Chrome appearance pkg. BLIS is not part of the pkg, but 302A is required before you can order BLIS.

For some reason, Ford will not build an F-150 with both trailer tow mirrors and BLIS. I would choose the tow mirrors and skip the BLIS. I have BLIS on my car, and it's not much help to a wide-awake driver.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

For a trailer weighing less than 7000 lbs I agree with your list of option but do you really need the 3.5? The 5.0 would work also.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Stop!

...If you want XLT trim with BLIS (blind spot info system), then you have to order the 302A "luxury" trim pkg. 302A includes remote start, 10-way power seats, heated front seats, reverse sensing system, SYNC® 3 and the XLT Chrome appearance pkg. BLIS is not part of the pkg, but 302A is required before you can order BLIS.

For some reason, Ford will not build an F-150 with both trailer tow mirrors and BLIS. I would choose the tow mirrors and skip the BLIS. I have BLIS on my car, and it's not much help to a wide-awake driver.
I have the tow mirrors and with them properly adjusted there is no blind spot on the side of the vehicle. I can still see a vehicle in the lower convex mirror when it comes to view outside my window. If towing a TT, I would definitely get the tow mirrors.

Quick Reply: 2018 2.7 no towing package